+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s been a long time coming.

It’s been a long time coming.

I understand the frustrations being branded at Alan Hardy, and to some degree even the down right monotonous, mindless abuse also being fired his way....he’s messed up, albeit by trying very hard not to mess up, which makes the situation very sad indeed.

But let’s not kid ourselves, This season has been long in the making. Others will point the finger at the Trew tenure, some at the beautifully disappointing Munto fiasco or at the depressing state the club was in during the days of the supporters trust, but it seems to me the club has been careering down this path since the day Mr Allardyce left us to join Bolton Wanderers in 1999.

Of course, the blame can’t be shoved under Big Sams office door, but at the time of his departure we were top, or very near the top, of what is now League One at Christmas and looking strong. I think our now, almost inevitable, drop into the National League, can be traced back to ensuing catalogue of errors...starting with the appointment of the nice, but seemingly inept (as first team manager anyway) Gary Brazil.

Again, Of course, the current debacle also isn’t his fault, but the drop in form that season was never recovered and from that season on we have bimbled along from one catastrophe to another.

I don’t feel anger at Mr Hardy, Ray and Aileen Trew, or the supporters club, as essentially I feel their hearts were in the right place (this will, no doubt, be hotly contested) and genuinely wanted the best for the club....they all saved it at one time or another after all.

The plight of the club (in my mind, looking back) began with the ownership of Scardino and Storrie which was only a year after our capitulation under Gary Brazil. We never really recovered from their crooked attempts at running the club and you only have to look at Portsmouth to understand the crooked ineptitude of of Peter Storrie inparticular....though at least they have an FA Cup to show for their misery.

Since then, almost two decades ago, we have, for the most part, been basically rudderless, mismanaged, conned, and void of someone with the understanding, vision, gumption and ethics on how to properly run a football club and where we are now is a culmination of those, and probably even more, factors.

Unfortunately I only started supporting Notts the year we were relegated from what is now the Championship so I may be seen as a Jonah by some bit I’ll always hold a special place for Notts. I don’t think you can ever change allegiance (no matter how much you wish it could be so) but some part of me is almost relieved that our downward spiral is almost now complete. It’s hard to explain, especially to the hard of understanding on this board, but the club desperately needs to start again.

If we survive,wherever that may be, I wouldn’t be averse to the possibility of starting all over again....from new owners, a new mentality, even a move away from Meadow ‘Misery’ Lane. It’s like a house that needs gutting from top to bottom and laying the foundations once more. Forget the oldest league club line, it’s not once worked in our favour since I’ve been a supporter (we are just not big or glamourous enough I’m afraid).

If, to coin a phrase, “We move on”, then let’s move on in a direction based on stability, sustainability, youth, and family, in the aim to build a club for a new future and new memories and leave this dishevelled old carcus behind.

Started when pavis sold our best players to fund his legacy (new ground) and sacked warnock its been a downward spiral ever since

Can’t blame things now on what happened two decades ago i’m not having that.

As for start again what do you mean by that AFC Notts County if so i’m out if we go bust that is 100% me done.

I blame Hardy for this 100% he has put us in a position where we could have no club I will hate him forever if that happens more than Trew and that takes some doing !

Agree..huge opportunity to push on this year after last year's near miss. Unfortunately it's been right royally fked up, as has been discussed ad infinitum.

Agree with a lot of the OP. It seems we’ve had quite a lot of near misses over the last 20 or so years, with Allardyce buggaring off when he did, through to Cotterill leaving, along with missing out on the league 1 play offs in 2012(I’m still convinced we’d have won them) on goal difference and of course last year’s debacle.

Yeah I think it’s harsh to blame solely Hardy for what’s gone on, he rolled the dice and got a 1 and a 3. Too many other things have gone wrong.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 10-03-2019 at 12:56 AM.

There have been some key moments over the last few years that have utterly derailed any progress we made.

The biggest that springs to mind was not keeping Cotterill, or not replacing him with someone capable. We had a championship-winning side that was on the up, and we entrusted our progress to an untried manager (Short), who made awful signings (Burgess, Spicer, etc.), and ruined any momentum we had. We then sacked him and started an utterly insane period of hiring and firing that brought the club to its knees.

The second one was last summer. For the first time in a decade, the club was on the up. All we had to do was build on the momentum and push for promotion. But we ripped up everything that had worked in search for some new identity as a lower-league Barcelona. Hardy and Nolan are to blame for the awful squad we assembled for this season.

So many other moments as well. Sacking Curle and replacing him with Kiwomya, appointing Moniz and then not giving him the time he needed to make it work, sacking Kewell after a few weeks for no apparent reason. The list is endless.

When you add it all up, one thing is clear: we absolutely deserve to be relegated. The club has been run so badly that anything else would be ridiculous. That fans don't deserve it, of course. It's a ****ing tragedy for us. But hey, that's football.

Slack pie. I agree mate. I have said time and time again, not on here too much, that not giving SC the funds he required was our biggest mistake. It would have cost Ray Trew alot less in the long run. When you had Lee Hughes and the players we already had, it wouldn’t have taken much more for promotion.

Never dull though is it!

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Can’t blame things now on what happened two decades ago i’m not having that.

As for start again what do you mean by that AFC Notts County if so i’m out if we go bust that is 100% me done.

I blame Hardy for this 100% he has put us in a position where we could have no club I will hate him forever if that happens more than Trew and that takes some doing !
    Its got to be one of the biggest mistakes though.cotteril wanted to leave. Munto was cheating. Tell me what we've achieved since??? Div1 with a good side who held their own then was the time to push on not sell. Never been in a position like that since legs77. Forest harp on bout clough era so to me in my eyes its our biggest mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gubbie View Post
    Its got to be one of the biggest mistakes though.cotteril wanted to leave. Munto was cheating. Tell me what we've achieved since??? Div1 with a good side who held their own then was the time to push on not sell. Never been in a position like that since legs77. Forest harp on bout clough era so to me in my eyes its our biggest mistake.
    We havent achieved anything but at the end of the day Big Sam and Cotterill moved to bigger clubs with more money and a higher league.

Can you blame them ? I mean we sacked Warnock after everything he did for us.

We all know we are going down all people want to know is if anyone is buying us.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    We havent achieved anything but at the end of the day Big Sam and Cotterill moved to bigger clubs with more money and a higher league.

Can you blame them ? I mean we sacked Warnock after everything he did for us.

We all know we are going down all people want to know is if anyone is buying us.
    Who is going to buy a none league club for millions of pounds..?.
    The answer is blowing in the wind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast