+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wigan(home)predictions

Can't disagree with that aucks
    I thought magloire did really well second half and probably did enough to warrant a place against Sheffield Wednesday
    Everyone stepped up when it was really needed,things were looking dire.
    Next game is a hard one,but a win will of done our confidence the world of good.

what a strange night?
    We played ok, and looked a better side than them. Weren't they absolutely shocking? They were the worst side we have had down this season.
    I thought the young centre half was fantastic. What a potential talent, another one in the first team. I can't imagine there is another side in our division that has so many of our own academy players in the 1st team. A proud night for the club.

The game itself, we deserved to win. But I wasn't sure it was a pen. Very weak. And the 2nd and 3rd goals came from Wigan's defensive mistakes. No point harbouring on this, but I cant help but feel had we played anyone half decent last night, we wouldn't have won. Good job it was little old Wigan.
    As Auks said, and as we all know as football fans, sometimes its a dodgy pen, or a fluke goal that can spark a change ion fortune. And hopefully it can help us kick on now. I'm happy that Dack got his goal, he deserved it as he kept going. But he was so wasteful. He missed a glorious chance to finish off a great move. I still though some had very quiet games, Graham & Armstrong especially. Arma is proving to be very frustrating. Not a winger, a midget forward that wins nothing. And appears to run into blind alleys. I want Chapman to get in the side now, lets see what he can do. Travis wasn't exactly great, but better than anything they had. I just don't think Bennett gives us anything anymore. We really do need to be looking the likes of him on.

So a good night, but slightly confusing? I'll take a win, it was comfortable. And seeing how bad they are, puts into perspective all the moaning on our fans sites. We will finish way above the sides we came up with. That was all our objective was. I thought we may push on, but stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, this is acceptable.

......well sort of. Anyone see the crowd last night? That's a derby match, in the second tier of English football. It was a reserve team match crowd. That's where the problem starts and ends. I guess I'm just coming to terms that this is it. This is as good as it will get probably. And while it was good last night, the quality was poor. The crowd was one man and a dog, and they were a poorer side than the one that came up.

I think that's harsh on Bennett, Champs. He hardly put a foot wrong, and, as usual, covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch.
    Sure, we need a couple of more classy players, but people like Bennett make it easier for that type to get the freedom they need.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think that's harsh on Bennett, Champs. He hardly put a foot wrong, and, as usual, covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch.
    Sure, we need a couple of more classy players, but people like Bennett make it easier for that type to get the freedom they need.
    I know he does put the effort in. No arguments on that one. He did play better last night, but I don't feel he offers a great deal. I think he started the season well, but has faded badly. I can't see him improving much next season. None of our midfield offers any kind of goal threat, apart from Reed. Who has only got 2. But that's 2 from our entire midfield. Totally get the artists and soldiers idea which TM refers to. I just don't think we have the personele to carry that out effectively. Dack and Armstrong still don't seem to be getting close to Graham' s knock downs. We did play some good stuff at times last night, while we didn't score from any, and got a bit of luck instead, it was positive to see. I still would like to see what Butterworth & Buckley can do. And I think Chapman could well appear in the next game or 2.

On the Telegraph site, I suggested the team below for when TM thinks we're totally safe. What do you think?
    Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Magloire Williams
    Chapman Travis Rothwell Conway
    Butterworth Nuttall.

A couple of old heads, two creative players who need more game-time, and seven who have come through our Development system!

I saw this aucks
    I like this team my concern is the midfielder pairing
    Travis seems to play better with a safety blanket of another defensive midfielder Rothwell is purely attacking
    I am not saying don't try it but I have a feeling the defence would come under pressure.
    As they say though attack is the best form of defence.

I like that side Auks, I think you have to mix in a few with experience alongside the young untested lads.
    But you only find out if they can step up, by testing them. That young lad the other night was fantastic. Lets see what he can do away under pressure from a good experienced Champ player like Fletcher.

We are now safe, we where anyway but we needed to stop that run of poor results. I maintain Dack is the main man, despite his recent poor form. We surely have to build that side around him. I'd really like to see Davenport play some games before we finish up the season. He's missed a lot of football, and needs game time.

Aucks, whats your thoughts on young Travis? At first I was majorly impressed. I know he is young, and therefore will be inconsistent, but he has been pretty average of late, when he's played. His reading of the game is a slight concern. We need him to improve imo. I thought we had it cracked with him, but currently I'm a bit unconvinced.

Chapman is an exciting option, and I think we will see him soon. I'd still carry on giving Brereton game time for the U-23's, to keep him involved. That hasn't done Nuttall any harm? While I am not his biggest fan, he does cause teams problems. And he gives those defenders something to think about. Armstrong for me is way too easy to play against. Other than that one month where he scored a few, he hasn't been great at all this season. Not sure he is the answer moving forwards. Maybe Butterworth or Buckley will be? Or Chapman.

Robin - I do share your concerns about Rothwell's defensive contributions. I'm still not sure about him, to be honest. He has a touch of skill most of our players don't have, and he looks to have time on the ball, but I still feel there hasn't been enough end-product yet. I wouldn't put him in a team that also had all three of Armstrong, Dack and Graham ahead of the midfield.
    Champs - on Travis: a lot of people can't stand Evans and Smallwood, so when Travis came in and had a few decent games, he got over-hyped. I like his energy and drive, but I don't think his passing has been significantly better than that of the two who have been heavily criticised. A couple of his best games, I thought, were with Smallwood alongside him!
    When I wrote that team out, I must admit I completely forgot about Davenport. I share your hopes that he will come good. I also see that Rankin-Costello is coming back into the picture, along with the youngsters you mentioned. There was a time when he was thought to be one of our brightest prospects. Perhaps he is coming back to that form.

We have understandably heard so much about the defence recently, but a couple of the narrow defeats could have been avoided if we were better at exploiting opportunities at the other end.
    To be frank, our final pass has been diabolical at times. I can't believe how many crosses have gone straight out, and how many times a pass has gone straight to an opponent. To me, this aspect has got a bit lost in all the moans about our defenders.
    Could Chapman be the answer? Only time will tell. What I'd really like us to do is sign an experienced midfielder with some of Tugay's qualities.
    Easier said than done, though, and the spectre of Murphy looms over that possibility!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)