+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Rallying Call

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Your post Spike has reminded me of something I wanted to write down last Monday. How many times in recent and not so recent times have Queens fell flat on their face when playing in front of a larger than usual crowd . I am kind of thinking it like a 'Queens curse' . I can still recall a very impressive crowd for our home SC game with Dundee United in 2005. We were terrible , never got going at all and even normally very reliable keeper Colin Scott let in a soft one . McCall's team strolled it. That just one example as since then there have been too many to mention with last Saturday's being the latest example.---------Going back a lot further , we played Rangers in the SC in 1976 at Palmerston in front of an incredible crowd of 18,700. We got flattened 5-0 and this was the game after our famous SC win after Ayr in a replay. The Standard reported it as a stroll for the Light Blues when there was a lot of anticipation of a close game.
    JR in most of these games that you mention Queens we very much overwhelming underdogs in these encounters where only only most blinded fans would have expected us to get close to winning so to say that they Queens fell flat on their faces is a bit harsh. Expectation is one thing reality is another. I do recall in I think 1977 Queens played Celtic at Parkhead in a League cup midweek game and although beaten 5-1 they came away with tremendous credit and were in fact applauded off the pitch by the Celtic support. When we equalised through Peter Dickson me and my mates who were in the main stand jumped up surrounded by the Celtic support who fortunately found our celebration amusing. I think this could have been one of Dalglish's last games for Celtic before his move to Liverpool.
    Perhaps we should highlight the games when Queens were responsible for major cup upsets so I will start with another game around the same time when we got a result away to the mighty Hibs which I think was also in the League cup when the Queens support were chased from the ground at the end of this with the police standing by watching. Another I can quickly think of and being a bit more recent was the Scottish cup game when we knocked out the defending holders St Johnstone. So what games can you recall where Queens did come up trumps against clearly better opposition?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    JR in most of these games that you mention Queens we very much overwhelming underdogs in these encounters where only only most blinded fans would have expected us to get close to winning so to say that they Queens fell flat on their faces is a bit harsh. Expectation is one thing reality is another. I do recall in I think 1977 Queens played Celtic at Parkhead in a League cup midweek game and although beaten 5-1 they came away with tremendous credit and were in fact applauded off the pitch by the Celtic support. When we equalised through Peter Dickson me and my mates who were in the main stand jumped up surrounded by the Celtic support who fortunately found our celebration amusing. I think this could have been one of Dalglish's last games for Celtic before his move to Liverpool.
    Perhaps we should highlight the games when Queens were responsible for major cup upsets so I will start with another game around the same time when we got a result away to the mighty Hibs which I think was also in the League cup when the Queens support were chased from the ground at the end of this with the police standing by watching. Another I can quickly think of and being a bit more recent was the Scottish cup game when we knocked out the defending holders St Johnstone. So what games can you recall where Queens did come up trumps against clearly better opposition?
    Don't suppose there will be many around that were there but in 1937 Queens knocked Rangers (THE HOLDERS) out of
    the Scottish Cup in the FIRST ROUND in front of 13,000 at Palmerston

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Re the Rangers game . We were not favs but were fancied to give them a better game than 5-0. The games , mostly league , where we haven't turned up have been too numerous to mention. Anyway, not saying there will be a big attendance today but we are in last chance saloon and Queens have to.perform. Frankly , if we cant beat Montrose at home we deserve to go into League 1.

Re the Rangers game . We were not favs but were fancied to give them a better game than 5-0. The games , mostly league , where we haven't turned up have been too numerous to mention. Anyway, not saying there will be a big attendance today but we are in last chance saloon and Queens have to.perform. Frankly , if we cant beat Montrose at home we deserve to go into League 1.
    Yup if we can't win today then we don't deserve to stay in the Championship. Up to the players and the management to ensure that they approach this game with the right attitude and approach.

Great to see the passion from the crowd yesterday. Everybody feeling a bit better about themselves now. One good win and our tails are up again. Yesterday couldn't have went any better . Dobbie breaks the goals record and also gets plenty of rest time for Wednedsay with his substitution. Raith will be a far harder nut to crack and we cant afford another slack first leg like the Montrose one. No reason why we cant go through though with the commitment shown yesterday.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 12-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Great to see the passion from the crowd yesterday. Everybody feeling a bit better about themselves now. One good win and our tails are up again. Yesterday couldn't have went any better . Dobbie breaks the goals record and also gets plenty of rest time for Wednedsay with his substitution.

yep jr thats one thing we needed addressed since naysmith going was a manager who knew how and when to make subs ,naysmith would have kept them all burning out until last mins .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    yep jr thats one thing we needed addressed since naysmith going was a manager who knew how and when to make subs ,naysmith would have kept them all burning out until last mins .
    You are not far wrong .

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)