Get your very own personalised football gifts!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118

Thread: Rallying Call

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Retired in Dumfries
    Posts
    922

    Rallying Call

    We are all rightly unhappy with the current run of results and yesterday was yet another game of calamitous defending coupled with poor finishing as well as being unlucky on several occasions having recorded more shots on target than ICT. This does not excuse some of the verbals from a handful of individuals towards the players which was frankly disgusting from so called supporters. There was one numpty behind me who spent the entire first half abusing each and every player when they got the ball regardless of the quality of the resultant play until he was eventually silenced by true supporters and then sulked off to the terracing at half time. For the record they were wearing a red and black checked lumberjack shirt if anyone wants to own up. No one can condone Martin's gesture, which I did not see, but again the abuse is not called for as we should be encouraging and cajoling, which did happen in the second half, the players especially during this dismal run and the players can hear this dogs abuse so what do you think it does for their confidence. They are not going out to make errors which cost us but it only exposes their limitations playing at our level. That may be the last time we see Martin again as a result of this and have thrust young Jack into the limelight at this difficult time when he has come in for his share of the verbals in the past.
    For those intent in this type of behaviour why come along in the first instance or is it they take pleasure at gloating at our current situation because if that is the case then we can do without them even if it does further impact on the crowd and takings but at the moment we need the "fans" to get fully behind the team because by continuing to abuse the players will just further erode their fragile confidence, clearly evident in the first half, which will guarantee our relegation and probably move to part time football. Is that what some want???
    Last edited by Spikefaethesouth; 10-03-2019 at 09:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,323
    Agree about verbals against the players. Apart from mistakes they all seem to be putting in 100% in terms of their effort.

    If fans are not happy with the manager then they don't seem to be voicing their opinions much. Results like this a few years ago would have resulted in a torrent of unrest from the stands. There is hardly a squeek of unrest which sends out what kind of message? Fans are acceptent, no need to get rid ? Btw I mean voicing opinions not verbal attacking.

    As for part time football, I thought that had been ruled out?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    945
    No one wants to rally round under that numpty. I wonder what they are up to on the training pitch during the week!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94
    Same thing happened with Robbo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    94
    Nayidea is dour and can talk for Scotland.
    Should be a footballer reporter not a manager IMO

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    We are all rightly unhappy with the current run of results and yesterday was yet another game of calamitous defending coupled with poor finishing as well as being unlucky on several occasions having recorded more shots on target than ICT. This does not excuse some of the verbals from a handful of individuals towards the players which was frankly disgusting from so called supporters. There was one numpty behind me who spent the entire first half abusing each and every player when they got the ball regardless of the quality of the resultant play until he was eventually silenced by true supporters and then sulked off to the terracing at half time. For the record they were wearing a red and black checked lumberjack shirt if anyone wants to own up. No one can condone Martin's gesture, which I did not see, but again the abuse is not called for as we should be encouraging and cajoling, which did happen in the second half, the players especially during this dismal run and the players can hear this dogs abuse so what do you think it does for their confidence. They are not going out to make errors which cost us but it only exposes their limitations playing at our level. That may be the last time we see Martin again as a result of this and have thrust young Jack into the limelight at this difficult time when he has come in for his share of the verbals in the past.
    For those intent in this type of behaviour why come along in the first instance or is it they take pleasure at gloating at our current situation because if that is the case then we can do without them even if it does further impact on the crowd and takings but at the moment we need the "fans" to get fully behind the team because by continuing to abuse the players will just further erode their fragile confidence, clearly evident in the first half, which will guarantee our relegation and probably move to part time football. Is that what some want???



    fans arnt going to come running to a rallying call to witness the rubbish we are seeing ,we look a tired jaded team atm whitch is the result of this garbage budget thay are restricted too ,if we do stay up this season surely the board have seen what it takes to compete in this league and arrange next seasons budget accordingly ,now this 200k loss we had at the agm looks like a god send compared to the rest of teams in our league ,we will prob have made the lowest loss in the league ,so to compete in this league the board know what its going to take or should know .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,292
    Honestly can’t believe this run we’re on at the moment but spike is absolutely correct. Now is not the time for supporters to fall out with each other or give certain players verbal abuse , it’s time we all stuck together and got behind the team and the manager. We’ve not got the luxury of a large squad and to bring on players who can change the game ( injuries haven’t helped ) so we’ll just need to knuckle down and do the best we can with what we’ve got.

    Far too many fans have thrown the towel in already with 8 games to go. There’s plenty more twist and turns in this league yet.

    Mon the South

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,383
    It’s not going to be easy but we need to stick together. The lad McGuire must feature next week against Ayr United IMO.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,599
    OK Francis, - where's the budget going to come from? Now, if we have to get down to 'Bobby Basics' - just how do you increase a budget when less than 1000 fans turned up yesterday?

    The fact of the matter is that yesterday's first half performance was utterly dreadful, - and I am still struggling to work out how that was possible, - especially given that there are only 8 games left. All the players should have performed as though their life depended on it, but in that first half our defence and goal keeper looked as though they couldn't be bothered.

    I was sitting beside the drivers of the Inverness bus, - and they were cringing with embarrassment at the lack of movement from Martin - they couldn't believe their luck, as they fully expected every Queens player to be at them from the off!

    Something was wrong in that first half which has got absolutely nothing to do with budgets and all to do with attitude. Yes we missed Marshall and Low, but that was the chance for others to show what they could do, but they actually looked as though they'd spent the night in the pub.

    Some serious ass kicking is required and long looks in the mirror too, - because there were a few players yesterday who let the fans and the Board of Directors down big time.

    To conclude, imagine if you were on the BOD Francis, - how would you feel pouring money into the club, - when Martin didn't seem to be bothered whether it was 2, 3, 4 or 5-0 at half time?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by palmylad View Post
    Honestly canít believe this run weíre on at the moment but spike is absolutely correct. Now is not the time for supporters to fall out with each other or give certain players verbal abuse , itís time we all stuck together and got behind the team and the manager. Weíve not got the luxury of a large squad and to bring on players who can change the game ( injuries havenít helped ) so weíll just need to knuckle down and do the best we can with what weíve got.

    Far too many fans have thrown the towel in already with 8 games to go. Thereís plenty more twist and turns in this league yet.

    Mon the South


    your right palmylad theres nout that can be done now with budgets and adding players ,we are stuck with what we have ,only thing that can be done now is for our manager to change it up a bit ,just go for it gung ho ,nout to lose we are on the slippery slope as it is ,and most are asking for the fans to get behind the team ,well why not all of yous get in there with that young team and beef them up everyone in the portland terrace singing ,that could have the effect required to keep queens up 5 or 600 singing behind that goal ,surely that can be achieved out of the 1000 or so fans that are turning up .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    7,932
    Naysmith was praising the fans for backing the team yesterday, yet torrents of abuse were directed at the players.

    Not that I would want to see Queens relegated in their Centenary season to the Seaside League One but when Queens last went down they bounced straight back. Perhaps the budget would be more suitable to League One.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    945
    Come on Jardi, itís time your business got involved with Queens. You canít be short of a bob or two, I know how much I have spent with you after burying my Father, Mother, Sister and Brother!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    OK Francis, - where's the budget going to come from? Now, if we have to get down to 'Bobby Basics' - just how do you increase a budget when less than 1000 fans turned up yesterday?

    The fact of the matter is that yesterday's first half performance was utterly dreadful, - and I am still struggling to work out how that was possible, - especially given that there are only 8 games left. All the players should have performed as though their life depended on it, but in that first half our defence and goal keeper looked as though they couldn't be bothered.

    I was sitting beside the drivers of the Inverness bus, - and they were cringing with embarrassment at the lack of movement from Martin - they couldn't believe their luck, as they fully expected every Queens player to be at them from the off!

    Something was wrong in that first half which has got absolutely nothing to do with budgets and all to do with attitude. Yes we missed Marshall and Low, but that was the chance for others to show what they could do, but they actually looked as though they'd spent the night in the pub.

    Some serious ass kicking is required and long looks in the mirror too, - because there were a few players yesterday who let the fans and the Board of Directors down big time.

    To conclude, imagine if you were on the BOD Francis, - how would you feel pouring money into the club, - when Martin didn't seem to be bothered whether it was 2, 3, 4 or 5-0 at half time?



    jardi of course if i was a director of a football team i would see it as my responsibility to pump the cash in out my own pocket to make sure the club is as competitive as it can be it goes without saying that does ,im not in that position financially tho jardi so i wouldnt even consider being on the board unless i had money to spend ,football isnt a run of the mill business that operates on an even keel ,to be incharge of a ambitous football club you need to be ready to make a loss year on year ,id bet there isnt one club in our division thats not made a loss ,and id bet youl prob be able to count in one hand clubs in scotland that break even or better .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,038
    I'm surprised more folk aren't calling for a managerial change. Perhaps the players would respond better to a different voice? Allan Johnson is available and obviously knows the division.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,599
    Sane Man, - I had suggested that the ICT game was the point at which to press the panic button, (if change hadn't occurred). I had given the manager the benefit of the doubt until yesterday, - but there was a peculiar feel about the first half yesterday, and it felt like an end of season match with nothing at stake.

    Clearly there is an awful lot at stake, and I would be expecting some massive changes in terms of the performance next week, or a change in manager might well be required.

    It is almost beyond comprehension that Queen of the South, in their Centenary Year, can find themselves suddenly propelling towards football oblivion, while some of the players (and I stress some) and the manager appear to go through the motions.

    I'd be expecting nothing less than every player chasing every ball, - closing down every opposition player, and tracking back after every lost ball, plus a manager doing cartwheels on the touchline - encouraging his players to attack at every possible opportunity, - rather than the bland, "who cares what happens man" attitude that prevailed in the first half yesterday.

    The panic button (IMHO) has well and truly been pressed.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Sane Man, - I had suggested that the ICT game was the point at which to press the panic button, (if change hadn't occurred). I had given the manager the benefit of the doubt until yesterday, - but there was a peculiar feel about the first half yesterday, and it felt like an end of season match with nothing at stake.

    Clearly there is an awful lot at stake, and I would be expecting some massive changes in terms of the performance next week, or a change in manager might well be required.

    It is almost beyond comprehension that Queen of the South, in their Centenary Year, can find themselves suddenly propelling towards football oblivion, while some of the players (and I stress some) and the manager appear to go through the motions.

    I'd be expecting nothing less than every player chasing every ball, - closing down every opposition player, and tracking back after every lost ball, plus a manager doing cartwheels on the touchline - encouraging his players to attack at every possible opportunity, - rather than the bland, "who cares what happens man" attitude that prevailed in the first half yesterday.

    The panic button (IMHO) has well and truly been pressed.
    Jardi while I have huge concerns re the manager`s tactics and recent decision making it`s harsh in the extreme to say he is just going through the motions. The guy is a grafter and clearly cares a great deal about how the team is doing.

    As an aside after yesterday`s first half display and his reaction to some criticism then i`m done with Martin. I`ve never rated him but yesterday was a new low in that regard.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Retired in Dumfries
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Sane Man, - I had suggested that the ICT game was the point at which to press the panic button, (if change hadn't occurred). I had given the manager the benefit of the doubt until yesterday, - but there was a peculiar feel about the first half yesterday, and it felt like an end of season match with nothing at stake.

    Clearly there is an awful lot at stake, and I would be expecting some massive changes in terms of the performance next week, or a change in manager might well be required.

    It is almost beyond comprehension that Queen of the South, in their Centenary Year, can find themselves suddenly propelling towards football oblivion, while some of the players (and I stress some) and the manager appear to go through the motions.

    I'd be expecting nothing less than every player chasing every ball, - closing down every opposition player, and tracking back after every lost ball, plus a manager doing cartwheels on the touchline - encouraging his players to attack at every possible opportunity, - rather than the bland, "who cares what happens man" attitude that prevailed in the first half yesterday.

    The panic button (IMHO) has well and truly been pressed.
    Jardi I too was quite shocked by the first half performance against ICT where there was apathy right through the team in what was such an important game to try and break to run that we are on. Conversely there was a reaction for the second half and we were unfortunate not to score but we simply cannot carry on in this manner and something seriously has to change very soon indeed otherwise we are going down.
    Martin has probably played his last game and he has certainly been given enough opportunities to show why he came with a decent reputation but has consistently fallen short of those expectations and enough is enough. For a keeper of his physique he should be more dominant in the box and should be able to clear out opposition players easily when coming to claim crosses which he simply fails on a regular basis to do.
    Would changing Naysmith for AJ be the required spark needed well the Dunfermline supporters could not get rid of him quick enough in the end and he was only really successful with us in the First Division before jumping ship to Killie. It would be nigh on near impossible to get a successful manager at this stage of the season as they would be very reluctant to exchange success for Queens in their current position but the BoD has shown as ruthless streak previously and I did hear that they offered Naysmith a contract extension when we were in fourth spot but it was delayed until recently when they sent his Agent away with his tail between his legs as a consequence of our present plight. Stay tuned.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,599
    Dobmeister, - I have been an advocate of Naysmith on this board when many were calling for his head. I have admired his dogged determination, but the same could be said of a certain female politician, - who seems completely intransigent.

    Even to the most biased supporter (of both the club and Naysmith) Saturday was the critical point of the season, and that was the day that all the players should have been jumping through hoops for the cause.

    There is no point in saying that they all played well in the second half, because the players have been doing that for the last seven matches and the record is now stuck; indeed Naysmith may well have a hidden recording up his sleeve to save himself repeating ad in finitum the same story!

    Inverness came to Dumfries on the back of a successful Scottish Cup victory and although buoyed by that tremendous achievement, - they wouldn't have been too bothered if Queens had been in their face from the first whistle, and would probably have settled for trying to get a boring draw.

    As it was, - we gave them so much space and time it was a stroll in the park, and with a goalkeeper making less than half hearted attempts to make saves it was acutely embarrassing.

    I would have expected the manager to be screaming at his players at the first goal, and bringing on the young lad to stabilise the defence, -but the same appalling performance continued with our front players trying their damndest, - but being totally hampered by a defence who looked hapless at best.

    0 - 4 at half time is what the score should have been, - because they also hit the bar and had what looked like a perfectly good goal chalked off as well, while the defence simply looked at the ball! If that had been the score, - how many of us would be wringing our hands and saying he's trying his best?

    No, some very knowledgeable people on this board have been calling for a change in tactics for many months. Indeed, - it was recommended a season and a half ago that Martin concentrated on cross balls all week, - either collecting or punching the ball, - and if that recommendation had been adhered to, (on a regular basis at training) - Queens would be presently sitting in 3rd place in the league and quite possibly still in the Scottish Cup (because Aberdeen took us apart with free headers)!

    That is why I suggest that Naysmith was going through the motions because he didn't change the system until it was too late, - and if I'm being honest, we were ripped apart every time ICT went forward on Saturday.

    So, for me, it's last chance saloon this week, and I'd be expecting a manager who is so animated on the touch line that he is sent to the stands by the referee..........where incidentally, - he'd get a better idea of how his team is performing, or not as the case may be.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,370
    Jardi we might just have to agree to disagree re what we mean by going through the motions. I do agree with a fair bit of what you say but to me going through the motions is having given up pretty much which i don`t think Naysmith has.

    Re Alan Martin i would have freed him at the end of last season. Other than being absolutely useless on cross balls, injury prone and often less than optimally fit, having zero confidence and not being brave he has all the attributes of a top keeper. IMHO he should be nowhere near our team. I`m not convinced young Jack is the answer either but for me he has to start from now on. I can`t remember seeing a keeper in senior football with less ability to deal with the cross ball than Martin.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Dobmeister, - I have been an advocate of Naysmith on this board when many were calling for his head. I have admired his dogged determination, but the same could be said of a certain female politician, - who seems completely intransigent.

    Even to the most biased supporter (of both the club and Naysmith) Saturday was the critical point of the season, and that was the day that all the players should have been jumping through hoops for the cause.

    There is no point in saying that they all played well in the second half, because the players have been doing that for the last seven matches and the record is now stuck; indeed Naysmith may well have a hidden recording up his sleeve to save himself repeating ad in finitum the same story!

    Inverness came to Dumfries on the back of a successful Scottish Cup victory and although buoyed by that tremendous achievement, - they wouldn't have been too bothered if Queens had been in their face from the first whistle, and would probably have settled for trying to get a boring draw.

    As it was, - we gave them so much space and time it was a stroll in the park, and with a goalkeeper making less than half hearted attempts to make saves it was acutely embarrassing.

    I would have expected the manager to be screaming at his players at the first goal, and bringing on the young lad to stabilise the defence, -but the same appalling performance continued with our front players trying their damndest, - but being totally hampered by a defence who looked hapless at best.

    0 - 4 at half time is what the score should have been, - because they also hit the bar and had what looked like a perfectly good goal chalked off as well, while the defence simply looked at the ball! If that had been the score, - how many of us would be wringing our hands and saying he's trying his best?

    No, some very knowledgeable people on this board have been calling for a change in tactics for many months. Indeed, - it was recommended a season and a half ago that Martin concentrated on cross balls all week, - either collecting or punching the ball, - and if that recommendation had been adhered to, (on a regular basis at training) - Queens would be presently sitting in 3rd place in the league and quite possibly still in the Scottish Cup (because Aberdeen took us apart with free headers)!

    That is why I suggest that Naysmith was going through the motions because he didn't change the system until it was too late, - and if I'm being honest, we were ripped apart every time ICT went forward on Saturday.

    So, for me, it's last chance saloon this week, and I'd be expecting a manager who is so animated on the touch line that he is sent to the stands by the referee..........where incidentally, - he'd get a better idea of how his team is performing, or not as the case may be.
    I would just point out one observation here jardi. I along with bagpa said similar if not identical things just 3 weeks ago and your words were it was people like us that helped keep supporters away from Palmerston!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •