+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Goals

Goals

Cheltenham: penalty

Vale: no goals

Tranmere: no goals

Newport: rebound from a long range shot

Mansfield: long range shot

Forest Green: solo run and finish, long range shot

Lincoln: penalty

Even though we picked up some decent results a few weeks ago, it's quite clear what the problem is - the few goals we have scored have come from one-off moments rather than a functional gameplan. Apart from the goals I can barely remember us creating a conventional chance, maybe a couple of crosses from the byline that Hemmings could've got something on.

Ardley seems to think attacking threat is defined by the number of attacking players on the pitch, regardless of whether their positions and our tactics suit them.

I disagree, so the question is, aside from all the criticism of Hardy, Ardley et al, what can we actually do in these ten games to bring some semblance of a goal threat?

A centre half up front with Stead (god knows we've got enough of them on the books)?

O'Brien and Vaughan behind the strikers with instructions to get as many potshots on target as possible?

Deeper starting positions, play on the counter and try and win 1-0 instead of having attacking players contesting 50 50s and headers with no support?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Cheltenham: penalty

Vale: no goals

Tranmere: no goals

Newport: rebound from a long range shot

Mansfield: long range shot

Forest Green: solo run and finish, long range shot

Lincoln: penalty

Even though we picked up some decent results a few weeks ago, it's quite clear what the problem is - the few goals we have scored have come from one-off moments rather than a functional gameplan. Apart from the goals I can barely remember us creating a conventional chance, maybe a couple of crosses from the byline that Hemmings could've got something on.

Ardley seems to think attacking threat is defined by the number of attacking players on the pitch, regardless of whether their positions and our tactics suit them.

I disagree, so the question is, aside from all the criticism of Hardy, Ardley et al, what can we actually do in these ten games to bring some semblance of a goal threat?

A centre half up front with Stead (god knows we've got enough of them on the books)?

O'Brien and Vaughan behind the strikers with instructions to get as many potshots on target as possible?

Deeper starting positions, play on the counter and try and win 1-0 instead of having attacking players contesting 50 50s and headers with no support?
    For me the issue is Doyle and O'Brien, they quite simply can't play as a 2 man centre midfield.

Ditch the 4-4-2 and go for 4-2-3-1 and push Enzio and Hemmings high up supporting CMS.

Schofield

Tootle Barcley Stubbs Milsom

Doyle O'Brien

Rose

Enzio CMS Hemmings

Im trying to think of the last time we had anyone through one on one with the goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    Im trying to think of the last time we had anyone through one on one with the goalie.
    FGR. Gomis was through a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    For me the issue is Doyle and O'Brien, they quite simply can't play as a 2 man centre midfield.

Ditch the 4-4-2 and go for 4-2-3-1 and push Enzio and Hemmings high up supporting CMS.

Schofield

Doyle O'Brien

Rose

Enzio CMS Hemmings
    I agree. The 4-4-2 is a disaster. Especially with Enzio and CMS on the wings. If we're going to play 4-4-2, we'd be better off with Rose in the centre with O'Brien, or Doyle and Rose in the centre with O'Brien out wide.

Enzio and CMS should be playing higher up the field, as wide forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    FGR. Gomis was through a couple of times.
    Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post

Schofield

Doyle O'Brien

Rose

Enzio CMS Hemmings
    Rose has plenty of energy, but he's not a creative midfielder. He's a ball-winning midfielder. I'd play him alongside Doyle (although Doyle has been very, very poor since the Mansfield game), with O'Brien pushed further up since he actually knows where the goal is and is prepared to shoot. Alternatively, drop Doyle and play Kellett alongside Rose and go for a bit of mobility.

Schofield, Milsom and Stubbs are perhaps the only players who can hold their heads up after the recent run of defeats. Barclay has been a disappointment and should be sent back to Brighton - let's play Bird and give him the experience ahead of next season. Bring Tootle back on the right.

Up front, we need to get Enzio into games more and CMS looks clueless on the wing and needs to be more central. Gomis needs dropping to the bench. If we want height, let's give Etete a go. He may struggle, but if we are going to sell him this summer, I'd at least like to see him start a game or two for us before he goes. Same goes for Osborne.

The same set of players (more or less) have been rubbish for the last three weeks, but they never get dropped. Time to shake things up (although I can imagine the only change NA will make is to bring Vaughan into the starting XI for Tuesday night).