+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to change at Dundee United

Formation and playing players in their natural position are the biggest things for me

We've had this formation for years and it just doesnt work, this one up front with very little width topped off with tippy tappy pish trying to walk the ball in the net is driving supporters away, zero entertainment and extremely frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    What needs to change?
    Our obsession with short-termism.
    Tannadice will not be rebuilt in a day.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    For some additional perspective, this is Robbie's results so far.

WDWWWWLDDWLDWWLWWWDWLL

W: 12
    D: 5
    L: 5

Some brief analysis of this:

Longest run without defeat: 6 (from his first match)
    Longest winning run: 4 (from his 3rd match)
    Longest losing run: 2 (now)
    Results after a loss: 2 draws, 1 win 1 loss.
    Win percentage of 55%.

If we had form under Neilson from start of season would say rate of 38 points from 22 matches then I think we’d still be just short of likely championship winning total

This, 100%!
    Agree short termism is not the answer however 3 seasons with superior budget (incl. some Premier League teams) to all bar Hibs in the first, should have seen us out of this league. The managers have caused us problems with some gash signings and the stubborn 4321 formations. Robbie has gotten arguably better players but they are either cr*p or the formations are wrong or combo of both.

There is some mileage in the gelling piece, but they train together everyday, so that excuse is very thin. These are professional athletes, who play at that level because they are supposedly good, so to not be able to pass a ball ten yards or create many clear cut chances of note, I think only 2 of our shots were on target on Sat, is unforgivable.

PT are probably in a false position but we have been humped by Ayr (a side now below us) and RC have had their fair share of injuries.
    Therefore cut the bullsh*t, go out and play and attack!

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    Agree short termism is not the answer however...
    This is always the issue folk have, agree then say why they don't. It's pretty confusing really.

This is always the issue folk have, agree then say why they don't. It's pretty confusing really.
    I dont think I intimated that I agreed, in my response with short termism, just my opinion on what needs to change. I forgot to add that the bringing back of Stevie Campbell, I have said this before in another thread, has to be the long term answer to our dearth of talent in the Res/youth squads. Now that Easton/Robertson are on 'leave,' for whatever reason then he has to be brought back and we start to rebuild from the bottom up.

Can't see that happening seeing as we've appointed someone else to that role recently.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    I dont think I intimated that I agreed, in my response with short termism, just my opinion on what needs to change. I forgot to add that the bringing back of Stevie Campbell, I have said this before in another thread, has to be the long term answer to our dearth of talent in the Res/youth squads. Now that Easton/Robertson are on 'leave,' for whatever reason then he has to be brought back and we start to rebuild from the bottom up.
    100% agree with this fixation with one up front and trying to get players to fit around a system instead of the other way around. The old adage still applies - only play football if you have football players.

If you persist with one upfront whoever it is invariably will be up against 4 defenders. Defenders who let's face it are playing in this league for one particular reason- they are not very good

Are we playing one up front though? On paper maybe but in reality I don't see Clark doing much midfield work...

Quote Originally Posted by scot crabbit View Post
    100% agree with this fixation with one up front and trying to get players to fit around a system instead of the other way around. The old adage still applies - only play football if you have football players.

If you persist with one upfront whoever it is invariably will be up against 4 defenders. Defenders who let's face it are playing in this league for one particular reason- they are not very good
    I think Luggy says in the McLean Years that 'there is no substitute for positive play' and he says further that they only ever played a 4-5-1 in European games i.e. a more counter attacking style. Which is not suitable for this league in the majority of games!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)