+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What needs to change at Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Can't change the manager yet again so soon.

When I watch games I see players who don't cope with pressure.

Ayr, County? It was Klopp and Fergie to begin with.

I'd argue that if it's good enough for Klopp and Fergie and most of the top clubs in the world then it is good enough for us.

I've already posted on this thread about the tactics but I think the biggest issue is preparing this squad for mental pressure.

What we see game after game is games breaking down and it becomes a case of who is mentally strong enough to cope in these turgid games. That ain't us.

We can only piss with the cock we've got untill the transfer window reopens and we can buy a new cock. We should do our best to prepare our current cock to perform when the pressure is on.
    Thing is Frank we are putting players into a system they clearly either mentally cant get used to or are out of their depth with. I think the two are intrinsically linked and when the going gets tough its toxic. We dont, and havent for 5 years, the players to play a 4231. Thats both mental and capable - also we seem to have managed to yet again get a barrage of wannabe no10s

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Desperate is unfair.

Was/is it desperate of Fergie and Klopp (your examples not mine) and pretty much every top team in the world using sports psychologists? No.

We don't disagree on anything other than how important psychology is to our current situation.
    Lost track of who said what, but i wonder if Hibs, Livi, St Mirren and Ross County employed sports psychologists?

If we were challenging for the title against the ugly sisters and that was all that was missing, then we could maybe afford that kind of thing. But we are struggling to get out the second tier with a bunch of players who have bigger problems than whats in their head.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Lost track of who said what, but i wonder if Hibs, Livi, St Mirren and Ross County employed sports psychologists?

If we were challenging for the title against the ugly sisters and that was all that was missing, then we could maybe afford that kind of thing. But we are struggling to get out the second tier with a bunch of players who have bigger problems than whats in their head.
    Hibs do rest dunno but they dont need to as they dont really play sport they just beef up in gym and batter teams

Last sentence spot on as far as I am concerned Chick. Anyway Wee Jum was employing sports psychology/ists way back when he took over United. So its nothing new and that said if you are playing at a decent level i.e. beyond pub football, and you cant get motivated then you are in the wrong job. Ability should account for at least 80% or more of players, imo as I don't read books on sports psychology!

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    Last sentence spot on as far as I am concerned Chick. Anyway Wee Jum was employing sports psychology/ists way back when he took over United. So its nothing new and that said if you are playing at a decent level i.e. beyond pub football, and you cant get motivated then you are in the wrong job. Ability should account for at least 80% or more of players, imo as I don't read books on sports psychology!
    I don't think the sports psychologist thing really worked under Jim. All credit to him for trying it. Pioneering stuff. But apparently Jim couldn't handle it and blew the whole program after 45 mins of the 1st match LOL. He wanted in the players' heads. Not some shrink!

For me, I think the team is getting too caught up in formation and sticking to their roles. When this bunch were first thrown together at the end of Jan, they created loads of chances in the 1st couple of games and played some great football. Albeit for 45 mins per game.

I would like Robbie to just let them have a bit more freedom on the park go follow their instinct. They've been playing under so much pressure recently. If I was RN I would tell them all about the opposition, strengths, weaknesses etc. I'd pick the team and send them out to follow their instinct and go for the win.

The title has gone. Let's cut loose and see what we can achieve with the pressure off. You never know, the team may just find something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    Hibs do rest dunno but they dont need to as they dont really play sport they just beef up in gym and batter teams
    But did Hibs do that to help them get out this Championship? I dont think the turnover even for them would have been big enough to allow money to be spent on a shrink or 3.

Players are mentally weak. When the going gets tough they disappear (and the current crop are in the main much better than the mercenary dross we've had over the last couple of seasons). The recent ICT cup game is a good example. If we manage to hold onto second spot a team like Ayr would rip us to bits in a playoff game.

Formation: 1 up front doesn't work. Totally agree with Offshore that Clark sits way too deep. Get width, pace and two up top to have a go at teams instead of this tip, tap, hoof nonsense.

I have fully accepted that there's two chances of us going up this season, slim and none however I agree that Neilson needs more time to build as we are clearly more than a one season fix.

We just need a good win or two, that's all.
    The mood of the fans is dark just now cos of back-to-back 2-1 defeats.
    Including a devastating loss in a quarter final home tie in a game in which we were favourites, it's still hard getting over that one, it'll not go away.
    Imagine if we had been looking forward to a Hampden Scottish Cup semi v Hearts (who aren't very good).
    In some respects the ICT shocker was the biggest blow in the last three seasons.
    And that amongst many big blows.
    So what we're needing now is simply a WIN, or better still, WINS.
    Tuesday night on the forums, the world might be a better place.

But did Hibs do that to help them get out this Championship? I dont think the turnover even for them would have been big enough to allow money to be spent on a shrink or 3.
    Chick i dont know tbh

Play two players up front.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)