+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to change at Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Are we playing one up front though? On paper maybe but in reality I don't see Clark doing much midfield work...
    Clark sits deep, deeper than he should and we and he would like!

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    Agree short termism is not the answer however 3 seasons with superior budget (incl. some Premier League teams) to all bar Hibs in the first, should have seen us out of this league. The managers have caused us problems with some gash signings and the stubborn 4321 formations. Robbie has gotten arguably better players but they are either cr*p or the formations are wrong or combo of both.

There is some mileage in the gelling piece, but they train together everyday, so that excuse is very thin. These are professional athletes, who play at that level because they are supposedly good, so to not be able to pass a ball ten yards or create many clear cut chances of note, I think only 2 of our shots were on target on Sat, is unforgivable.

PT are probably in a false position but we have been humped by Ayr (a side now below us) and RC have had their fair share of injuries.
    Therefore cut the bullsh*t, go out and play and attack!
    great post

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Are we playing one up front though? On paper maybe but in reality I don't see Clark doing much midfield work...
    Pretty ironic that the guy up front does more battling in midfield than the guy sitting deeper!

Linked to that, we are still creating chances in the games we want to win, but we seem to be unable to pepper the net which ultimately leads to the poor results. Some of that comes down to the keepers we come up against, but surely there is a player we put on the park that can score a goal from open play!

Firstly - Winning mentality, attack minded tactics and formations, ability to put more than 2 passes together and play with pace.

Secondly - take Accountabilty for s hit performances wrong team selections substitutions, and get rid of the deflective sound bites like ‘we were on the ascendancy’ when clearly we were not even at the races!

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Firstly - Winning mentality, attack minded tactics and formations, ability to put more than 2 passes together and play with pace.

Secondly - take Accountabilty for s hit performances wrong team selections substitutions, and get rid of the deflective sound bites like ‘we were on the ascendancy’ when clearly we were not even at the races!
    Or we should have had a penalty, blah blah... Maybe so but we were still sh1t and deserved to lose.

Two up front playing together.
    Full backs creating width.
    Midfielders playing forward passes.
    A goalkeeper who commands his box.
    A team who bully the opposition.
    Playing with pace and urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    Two up front playing together.
    Full backs creating width.
    Midfielders playing forward passes.
    A goalkeeper who commands his box.
    A team who bully the opposition.
    Playing with pace and urgency.
    If only the manager could see it that way

Good op by the way.

I think what needs to change may already have changed, it's just we're not seeing the results from it yet.

We have a new owner who is experienced in business and experienced in the sports business. It is very likely he is used to winning and achieving his objectives.

He will be looking not just at the results but also at the very poor poor quality of play on show. I would imagine it won't be long before he says to Robbie, hey if that's what you're serving up, if that's the best you can do with my investment in your player budget, time to move on buddy.

I think we can all accept defeat - even failure up to a point - if we're seeing good football being played by the team.
    Last edited by stokearab; 13-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Nah, don't care about the football, aslong as we are making chances and getting results, in this division that's what matters, if nice football comes in then great, and we have seen some in recent weeks if not the last week

Now there were very good signs the first few games after the January window, we created more chances at home in the Morton game and applied more pressure than we had in over a year atleast, I've no doubt we will get better after the summer when we can add to what was started in the recent window

We need to stop the obsession with feeling we need to get up this season, obviously it would be preferable, but a huge bonus given the instability of the season and an the changes at the club

No more short term thinking needed here, allow Neilson to build something good going forward, my thoughts are no different now than they were prior to the ICT Cup game, if we get up this season, bonus, if not we strengthen and look to hit the ground running next season

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Nah, don't care about the football, aslong as we are making chances and getting results, in this division that's what matters, if nice football comes in then great, and we have seen some in recent weeks if not the last week

Now there were very good signs the first few games after the January window, we created more chances at home in the Morton game and applied more pressure than we had in over a year atleast, I've no doubt we will get better after the summer when we can add to what was started in the recent window

We need to stop the obsession with feeling we need to get up this season, obviously it would be preferable, but a huge bonus given the instability of the season and an the changes at the club

No more short term thinking needed here, allow Neilson to build something good going forward, my thoughts are no different now than they were prior to the ICT Cup game, if we get up this season, bonus, if not we strengthen and look to hit the ground running next season
    I pretty much stopped reading after "making chances and getting results". We're not making chances and we're not getting the right results.

I want Robbie to succeed and agree he needs time, but I'm wanting to see some evidence that he can blend these players into an effective attacking force. I think a lot of the fans, like me, expected to see some signs of this by now.

What I said in my post above is that I don't think Mark Ogren will accept poor football matched with failing results for very long.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)