+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What needs to change at Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    How many shrinks do you think Jurgen Klopp employs? How many shrinks do you think Fergie employed.

Good coaches don't need shrinks much because they're able to motivate the players themselves. That's what good coaches are capable of. If we need to turn to psychologists for the players in this situation we are more f$%#ed than I thought.

Ps we don't have 8 or 9 weeks to get ready. We're not in the play offs just yet.
    I don't think it's just motivation. The players go into shells and get all quiet and look to shrink during games when the going gets tough. That's mental strength and not just purely motivation.

And on Klopp:

"Like all top clubs, Liverpool use a professional psychologist if players need a coping mechanism amid raising pressure"

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/..._L8NZDwTThEH65

And Fergie also hired a sports psychologist at the time of Keane and Beckham who you can read about here: https://www.squawka.com/en/news/why-sir-alex-ferguson-hired-his-psychologist-on-the-spot/510884
    Last edited by PortugueseFrank; 13-03-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I don't think it's just motivation. The players go into shells and get all quiet and look to shrink during games when the going gets tough. That's mental strength and not just purely motivation.

And on Klopp:

"Like all top clubs, Liverpool use a professional psychologist if players need a coping mechanism amid raising pressure"

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/..._L8NZDwTThEH65

And Fergie also hired a sports psychologist at the time of Keane and Beckham who you can read about here: https://www.squawka.com/en/news/why-...he-spot/510884
    I agree it's part of modern football.

But put it another way, how big a part have sports psychologists played in getting Ian McCalls side to the top of the championship this season. How many sports psychologists played a part in getting Ross County to the top? And keeping them there.

If we need to rely on sports psychologists to lift our players to be able to make 3 passes to each other without losing possession you not think there might be something adrift somewhere?

I pretty much stopped reading after "making chances and getting results". We're not making chances and we're not getting the right results.

And I only read this part of your reply as the rest is meaningless of you can't understand the post you are attempting a response to some of which came at that line

However to help you out, we did create plenty chances in the first few games after the jan window, that was my point, so there were good signs, much more so than we had seen in the previous year

I never said we should have a championship winning team by now Terry. With all due respect you need to read my posts properly. What I said was that the fans are entitled to see SIGNS by now that Robbie is coaching an attractive style of play that will create chances from open play.

Lol irony overload there stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    And I only read this part of your reply as the rest is meaningless of you can't understand the post you are attempting a response to some of which came at that line

However to help you out, we did create plenty chances in the first few games after the jan window, that was my point, so there were good signs, much more so than we had seen in the previous year
    How do you know the rest was meaningless if you didnt read it?

United are not ready for the play offs - recent defeats against Ayr, Partick, Inverness and drawing with Falkirk suggest the squad of players are not ready for the promotion play offs.

Unfortunately, the squad of players show no signs of finding their mojo - all season it's been a struggle to score goals.

The opposition manager's going into the play offs won't fear playing United.

The signs were there for all to see at the start of the season - getting kicked out of the Scottish League Cup in the first round.

This is surely Robbie's most difficult job yet - I think he can get United promoted, but not this season.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Lol irony overload there stoke.
    Not going to rise to the bait. But keep the blinkers on by all means.

However the wins against Dunfermline, Morton, St Mirren, Queens and Inverness in the same period suggest maybe they are... And a draw away to a resurgent Falkirk via a goalie mistake hardly suggests we can't deal with a play off, we played well that day,Falkirk knew they got away with a draw and were delighted

Not going to rise to the bait. But keep the blinkers on by all means.

Mmm hmm.

I agree it's part of modern football.

But put it another way, how big a part have sports psychologists played in getting Ian McCalls side to the top of the championship this season. How many sports psychologists played a part in getting Ross County to the top? And keeping them there.

If we need to rely on sports psychologists to lift our players to be able to make 3 passes to each other without losing possession you not think there might be something adrift somewhere?
    Can't change the manager yet again so soon.

When I watch games I see players who don't cope with pressure.

Ayr, County? It was Klopp and Fergie to begin with.

I'd argue that if it's good enough for Klopp and Fergie and most of the top clubs in the world then it is good enough for us.

I've already posted on this thread about the tactics but I think the biggest issue is preparing this squad for mental pressure.

What we see game after game is games breaking down and it becomes a case of who is mentally strong enough to cope in these turgid games. That ain't us.

We can only piss with the cock we've got untill the transfer window reopens and we can buy a new cock. We should do our best to prepare our current cock to perform when the pressure is on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)