+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What needs to change at Dundee United

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Can't change the manager yet again so soon.

When I watch games I see players who don't cope with pressure.

Ayr, County? It was Klopp and Fergie to begin with.

I'd argue that if it's good enough for Klopp and Fergie and most of the top clubs in the world then it is good enough for us.

I've already posted on this thread about the tactics but I think the biggest issue is preparing this squad for mental pressure.

What we see game after game is games breaking down and it becomes a case of who is mentally strong enough to cope in these turgid games. That ain't us.

We can only piss with the cock we've got untill the transfer window reopens and we can buy a new cock. We should do our best to prepare that cock to perform when the pressure is on.
    I dont want a change of manager but we dont need a sports psychologist to coach the players how to keep possession. We are rank rotten at the basics of playing football - that is what needs sorting and we have a coach who should be sorting it.

"Football is a simple game complicated by people at Largs because their income depends on it"

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I dont want a change of manager but we dont need a sports psychologist to coach the players how to keep possession. We are rank rotten at the basics of playing football - that is what needs sorting and we have a coach who should be sorting it.
    So no issue with the players mental strengths?

On keeping possession we had 60% possession against Thistle

And 51% v ICT cup game

So holding onto the ball doesn't statistically appear to be an issue. It's what we do with it and how we cope in defence. And for me that comes down to mental strength.

So no issue with the players mental strengths?

On keeping possession we had 60% possession against Thistle

And 51% v ICT cup game

So holding onto the ball doesn't statistically appear to be an issue. It's what we do with it and how we cope in defence. And for me that comes down to mental strength.
    To me actual possession stats are meaningless in themselves. A player who receives the ball once/twice/three times and loses it will still count to have had possession. As you say it's what a team does with the ball when they have it consistently. And from what I've seen of us we do nothing.
    We are rotten at the basics of control, rotten at holding and spreading play, rotten at using width to stretch the opposition and rotten at creating chances from open play.
    We're not even good at defending any more.
    So I suppose my point about psychologists is based on the fact that all these basics need to improve before mental strength is a deciding factor.

Psychology plays a big role in those things.

Being in the best frame of mind plays a big role in being able to perform to be best of a players abilities.

Psychology plays a big role in those things.

Being in the best frame of mind plays a big role in being able to perform to be best of a players abilities.
    Frank I don't disagree with that statement. But it seems so desperate when you look back at your request to "bring in the shrinks" like some magic solution to our problems. Our main problem right now is we cant do the basics required on a park to win games. I think we'd win more games if the manager coached the players better, maybe a priority before shrinks is all I'm saying.

Desperate is unfair.

Was/is it desperate of Fergie and Klopp (your examples not mine) and pretty much every top team in the world using sports psychologists? No.

We don't disagree on anything other than how important psychology is to our current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCityRocker View Post
    United are not ready for the play offs - recent defeats against Ayr, Partick, Inverness and drawing with Falkirk suggest the squad of players are not ready for the promotion play offs.

Unfortunately, the squad of players show no signs of finding their mojo - all season it's been a struggle to score goals.

The opposition manager's going into the play offs won't fear playing United.

The signs were there for all to see at the start of the season - getting kicked out of the Scottish League Cup in the first round.

This is surely Robbie's most difficult job yet - I think he can get United promoted, but not this season.
    Despite my criticism, oddly I still believe he could get us up this season. But it needs certain things to change and I'm not sure he's ready to change these things yet. But it's still possible. If we could magic up 2nd place, who knows, because the games then become cup ties and league form doesn't count for so much.

Desperate is unfair.

Was/is it desperate of Fergie and Klopp (your examples not mine) and pretty much every top team in the world using sports psychologists? No.

We don't disagree on anything other than how important psychology is to our current situation.
    Lol let's agree to disagree, my point was that if we can't do the basics of football correctly then sports science isn't making the difference required.

Desperate is unfair.

No its not desperate at all and they have started using sports performance scientists in last week according to Ashgar. Winning mindset but lets be clear it doesnt work on all players. Some still remain sh!te I think the performance mindset is key and i am glad united are looking at it. Given that this league is a whirlwind of teams trying to batter you, better you etc it can only help

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)