+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Balance of the Squad

Balance of the Squad

Firstly, YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

Now, is it just me, or did we look so much more balanced tonight? We clearly played much better in general, but from what I could see from IFollow, Vaughan in midfield with O'Brien and Doyle definitely worked, and we looked infinitely better with what I think was a front three. In fact, we dominated large parts of that game, despite the conditions and against a good Carlisle side looking to get into the play offs.

We really need to stick with tonight's formation now. Clearly shoe horning our forward players into a 4-4-2 hasn't worked, presumably because it leaves Doyle and O'Brien with too much to do in the centre and thus a no-mans-land opens up between defence and up front. This explains the aimless hoofball in the last few games IMO, although we were also just generally rubbish.

Tonight we managed to play good football in awful conditions because we linked up so much better. Here's hoping Neal Ardley learns the lessons. He should have worked this out earlier I suppose, but hey ho! You Pies!
    Last edited by SlockyNCFC; 12-03-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlockyNCFC View Post
    Firstly, YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

Now, is it just me, or did we look so much more balanced tonight? We clearly played much better in general, but from what I could see from IFollow, Vaughan in midfield with O'Brien and Doyle definitely worked, and we looked infinitely better with a front three as well. In fact, we dominated large parts of that game, despite the conditions and against a good side looking to get back in the play offs.

We really need to stick with this 4-3-3 now. Clearly shoe horning our forward players into a 4-4-2 isn't working because it leaves the Doyle and O'Brien with too much to do in the centre and a gap between midfield and up front. This explains the aimless hoofball in the last few games IMO, although we were also just generally rubbish.

Tonight we managed to play good football in awful conditions because we linked up so much better. Here's hoping Neal Ardley learns the lessons. He should have worked this out earlier I suppose, but hey ho! You Pies!
    Absolutely.

I'm a bit concerned having listened to Ardley's post-match interview where he's still hinting at playing different shapes for different games. Tonight worked well and it's difficult to coach against tactically, so don't change it. He's a devotee to 4-4-2 from his Wimbledon days and at some point in the future we may have different players who can deliver consistently in that way, but it doesn't suit the talents of the current squad. It worked against Mansfield and Lincoln because teams hadn't seen the O'Brien and Doyle combination previously, but any scout worth their salt would realise they need to shut those two down to shut our team down, and so it was with Newport, Tranmere, Port Vale and Cheltenham. The extra man in there protects us against that, and it's easy to forget that Vaughan was playing international football and Championship football until recently, so even though his legs aren't there (which means he's no good in a two-man midfield either), his quality will still be there if he's got enough support around him.

Not so long ago, Doyle, Vaughan and O'Brien would have looked like a good Championship level midfield and if they're all on the pitch looking after each other, sharing the workload, and making it more difficult for the opposition to shut them down, then this could be the key.