+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poor Old Schofield

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I can't see anywhere in those videos where he "left the field of play" . . . in any case, taking a few steps over the line hardly constitutes leaving the field of play, otherwise how would you retrieve the ball for a throw-in, goal-kick, corner etc. You need the ref's permission to officially leave the field of play.
    Every game sees players overrunning the sidelines or goal lines. Players running like the clappers can’t just suddenly stop as if they’ve hit a brick wall, so they’ve left the field of play and come back on without needing any permission.

Felt horrible for the chap but he made amends shortly after with a great one handed save... he will learn and thankfully it did not cost us in the end so happy days.

I can't see anywhere in those videos where he "left the field of play" . . . in any case, taking a few steps over the line hardly constitutes leaving the field of play, otherwise how would you retrieve the ball for a throw-in, goal-kick, corner etc. You need the ref's permission to officially leave the field of play.
    He hid in the goal, didn't he? I have never seen anything like it. It's unsporting behaviour, in the same sense scoring from a throw-in after the ball has been kicked out of play for an injury is. It might not be explicitly against the rules, but it's stooping a bit low in my opinion.

"He's behind you" will follow Schofield for the rest of his life.

It was like something from a David Attenborough documentary - hunter lurking in a hideaway and then pouncing on his prey. It all seems to take place in slow motion from the second Schofield throws the ball down and their guy starts chasing for the ball. Before that, you can see Hope gesturing for his fellow forward to go away, thus encouraging Schofield to roll the ball out. Can’t believe our last defender doesn’t tell Schofield there’s still a player behind him before he runs out of shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    He hid in the goal, didn't he? I have never seen anything like it. It's unsporting behaviour, in the same sense scoring from a throw-in after the ball has been kicked out of play for an injury is. It might not be explicitly against the rules, but it's stooping a bit low in my opinion.
    He was on the goal-line as far as I could see, not "hiding in the goal" - I can't see why he's not allowed to stand on the opposition goal-line. It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but I'm sorry I just can't see that he did anything wrong or unsporting. Maybe you could use the word "crafty" but not unsporting, he has a right to try and steal the ball from the keeper, it's been done many times before and no attempt has been made to ban it. Schofield should have checked before throwing the ball, and his defenders should have alerted him.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Felt horrible for the chap but he made amends shortly after with a great one handed save.
    It looked like a routine catch to me. I'm not sure why he decided to try and punch it.

He was on the goal-line as far as I could see, not "hiding in the goal" - I can't see why he's not allowed to stand on the opposition goal-line. It's a matter of opinion I suppose, but I'm sorry I just can't see that he did anything wrong or unsporting. Maybe you could use the word "crafty" but not unsporting, he has a right to try and steal the ball from the keeper, it's been done many times before and no attempt has been made to ban it. Schofield should have checked before throwing the ball, and his defenders should have alerted him.
    If you think that isn't unsporting there is summit up with you youth. Its legal and within the rules but is definately sneaky and unsporting.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    If you think that isn't unsporting there is summit up with you youth. Its legal and within the rules but is definately sneaky and unsporting.
    I’ve never even considered that some would class this as unsporting!
    As soon as a keeper has the ball out of his hands the ball is in play. The ball was in play and he was caught in possession. Simple as that.
    I’m guessing there wasn’t a single Notts player complaining, other than to Schofield!

"Poor old Schofield"... my A£se.. He needs to learn and learn quickly. So far he's 50/50 between great shot stopper and liability.
    And as for instant fix comments such as "He wont do it again".. "He will learn" Really?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast