+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A note for Griff.

A note for Griff.

Do you fly Griff? I would like you to imagine taking off, then you realise you are not gaining height, and you know something is wrong. The cabin attendants look scared. Ive seen that by the way. Then, instead of going higher, the nose starts to dip, and before you know it, your going down, nose first, and you realise you are going to die in the next thirty seconds.

Recently i expressed my dissatisfaction with computers. You were sarcastic in your comment. What would you now say to those 150 odd people that died recently, and the people that died in that plane before.? And all the other computer foul ups that have resulted in non publicised deaths, and everyday computer glitches.

Needless to say humans do not make the mistakes computers make. Computers are as dumb and stupid AS IT GETS.

Humans do make mistakes, Frank. In a lot of cases where computers are concerned it’s “garbage in, garbage out”. In other words, human error in programming the computer wrongly. Humans are capable of making bigger mistakes that computers, with more severe consequences. In the third world a wrong decision in agriculture could lead to starvation for millions. It happened in Ireland where over-dependence on the potato led to the death of 1.2 million people at a time when the only computer was taking of your shoes so you could count to 20.

It won’t stop me flying Frank. You?

Of course humans make mistakes. In this case, if a pilot sees the ground rushing up, he is going to pull up. And save the plane. This computer programme did not pull up. It had no understanding of anything outside its programme. Nothing. It had no idea 150 people were about to die. Kaput.

And yet the programme was designed to keep the flying angle steady, so that if the nose was to high it would bring it down, if it was too low it would bring it up. It failed to do that. My hunch is that the pilot, who did not know that that programme was in operation took off to steeply, and the programme took over.

So he was hauling on the stick to raise the nose, and the computer, who was in control, did the opposite. I can hear you saying its human error, yes it is, but its also the fault of the computer, in fact it may be the sole fault, as it over ruled common sense. The pilot was doing the right thing. If the computer was programmed to pull the nose up, why didnt it do it?

To have a computer programme that you dont know is there, and if you did, you cant turn it off is unbelievable. It shows the arrogance of Boeing and its computer people that no matter what, they know the answer. They dont, and over 300 people are dead, and many many more.

It also shows your arrogance, that you can defend it. I wonder what your attitude would be if you live, but your family die. One death is too many. Computers should be used in non lethal situations only. And yes i will continue to fly, knowing any number of computer systems on board could fail and kill me in a moment.
    Have you watched Air crash investigation???? Computers are genocidal. You can only have this attitude because you are ignorant.

Computer people have an arrogance that is breath taking. And utterly crazy. As for "garbage in garbage out", its not like that. Its good progamming in, death out". And you dont know why because the Boeing engineers dont know everything. If they did, countless people would still be alive.

But they will lead you to believe there is no risk when there is. And you fall for it.

p.s, i know what you would say to the dead if you could" For god sake stop moaning, its only a glitch., think of all the benefits".

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)