+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a trend?

Is this a trend?

After our summer signings I passed comment on the (lack of) height in our signings.

Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes, Jozefzoon, Wilson and Mount, all of whom are between 5' 6 and 5' 10.

Last night, my mind wandered to the up and coming players from the Academy who may be on the verge of making the senior squad. I looked up the following........

Luke Thomas 5’ 8

Jayden Mitchell Lawson 5’ 6

Kellan Gordon 5’ 10.5

Kyle McAllister 5’ 9

Timi Max Elsnik 5’ 10

Cameron Creswell 5’10

Calum McDonald height seems to be unknown but he doesn’t look tall. The same applies to Louie Sibley and Lee Buchanan.

Are the days of the 6' 3 plus player going/gone or are we barking up the wrong tree?

Yes, interesting observation of the academy too. I don't think we're alone though. Remembering back to the mid 2000's, everyone was signing tall, fast strong players. Pompey stick in my mind for making a success for it. But there's much less of it now.

We still lack physical strength though, you don't have to be tall to be a strong player.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    We still lack physical strength though, you don't have to be tall to be a strong player.
    Bogle and Holmes are no pushovers but the rest with the possible exception of Sibley aren't the strongest..... yet

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Bogle and Holmes are no pushovers but the rest with the possible exception of Sibley aren't the strongest..... yet
    I think you are mainly talking night for forwards You obviously need it for defenders It seems some manager like the big man upfront and some don't seem to mind Norwich Leeds Sheff U West Brom Derby Brentford play without a big lad Where as Boro Villa Preston Brum etc use a big man I always think it's good to have a big man on the bench gives options We don't have many headers in the team at all always worry at defending corners free kicks in the air Noticed teams are now blocking Keogh all the time knowing he's our only player who can head consistently

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    After our summer signings I passed comment on the (lack of) height in our signings.

Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes, Jozefzoon, Wilson and Mount, all of whom are between 5' 6 and 5' 10.

Last night, my mind wandered to the up and coming players from the Academy who may be on the verge of making the senior squad. I looked up the following........

Luke Thomas 5’ 8

Jayden Mitchell Lawson 5’ 6

Kellan Gordon 5’ 10.5

Kyle McAllister 5’ 9

Timi Max Elsnik 5’ 10

Cameron Creswell 5’10

Calum McDonald height seems to be unknown but he doesn’t look tall. The same applies to Louie Sibley and Lee Buchanan.

Are the days of the 6' 3 plus player going/gone or are we barking up the wrong tree?
    Don’t know that I’d call it a ‘trend’ MA, but it’s certainly a problem and one entirely of our own making that needs addressing in the summer.
    We’ve got plenty of wide men who can cross and both Marriott and Waghorn will put away the knockdowns. You may not have to be tall to be strong, Adi...but it sure as hell helps to be tall if you’re going to stand a chance of winning the ball in the air.
    A tall strong target man and a warrior like midfield leader, along with a few less ‘sick notes’, and I still think we’d have made it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Noticed teams are now blocking Keogh all the time knowing he's our only player who can head consistently
    I hadn't noticed that, it's certainly concerning. Darren Moore is available

If only, Adi...can’t help thinking...if only we’d held on to Cameron Jerome instead of the long past his sell by date Nugent too.

Yes wouldn't like to try and block him

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    If only, Adi...can’t help thinking...if only we’d held on to Cameron Jerome instead of the long past his sell by date Nugent too.
    RA we had just got Jerome playing Ok and we get rid FFP again I assume

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Definitely, never going to be prolific but he was strong and created for others. Certainly capable of changing a game even if not starting games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)