+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harper?????

Harper?????

I don't know if I am on my own with this observation but for me Harper brings absolutely nothing to the team when we have not got the ball. He does not get close to an opposition player to get a tackle in. He constantly drifts around pedestrian-like, giving all the time in the world for the player with the ball to decide what his next move will be. If a player gets past him there is no urgency to try and close him down but just seems to hope someone else will tackle him.
    He seems to be playing well within his comfort zone when it comes to effort. To be fair I thought all the midfield were powder-puff in the tackle last night, but even Livermore on occasions chased down players in possession. We desperately need a ball winner with some energy and drive in my opinion and the quicker a manager is appointed the better as last night I thought we were poor and to come out of that game with a three nil win was miraculous and thanks no end to the best goalkeeping display from an Albion keeper I have seen for a long time. Freed up from having to play short to defenders no matter what allowed Johnson to relax and if necessary put his foot through the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    I don't know if I am on my own with this observation but for me Harper brings absolutely nothing to the team when we have not got the ball. He does not get close to an opposition player to get a tackle in. He constantly drifts around pedestrian-like, giving all the time in the world for the player with the ball to decide what his next move will be. If a player gets past him there is no urgency to try and close him down but just seems to hope someone else will tackle him.
    He seems to be playing well within his comfort zone when it comes to effort. To be fair I thought all the midfield were powder-puff in the tackle last night, but even Livermore on occasions chased down players in possession. We desperately need a ball winner with some energy and drive in my opinion and the quicker a manager is appointed the better as last night I thought we were poor and to come out of that game with a three nil win was miraculous and thanks no end to the best goalkeeping display from an Albion keeper I have seen for a long time. Freed up from having to play short to defenders no matter what allowed Johnson to relax and if necessary put his foot through the ball.
    There's only one youngster who's impressed me Joy and he's gone back to Leicester. Flashes yes...potential yes...but solid consistency...no. That's the nature of growing up I guess. We got away with murder last night, our own penalty box was giving away free tickets for shots in!

I first noticed this in the Cup replay v Brighton and put it down to being knackered at the end of 120 mins. But also thought him guilty of letting the opposition by him too easily in the Sheff Utd match.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    There's only one youngster who's impressed me Joy and he's gone back to Leicester. Flashes yes...potential yes...but solid consistency...no. That's the nature of growing up I guess. We got away with murder last night, our own penalty box was giving away free tickets for shots in!
    Admittedly I only seen the 10 minutes highlights...so cant really say....but I think we could have lost 3-5. Keeper made some very good stops...but defending was very open. Fair play to the 3 above us for keeping it going....it will be an exciting finish for them....
    Baggies just dont look comfortable with the ball...which is a shame...caused it is useful in a soccer match.. Who was that defender who couldn't kick a moving ball for their forward to bring a very good save from Johnstone...??
    At least old man Brunty can still be relied upon to get something from a game we really stole from the Swans....We had about 30% possession.....ahh the good old days with Pulis....

MOTM Johnstone for sure, with Hegazi as # 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    MOTM Johnstone for sure, with Hegazi as # 2.
    Chris Brunt played well.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Chris Brunt played well.

Yes, he too Lloyd.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)