Get your very own personalised football gifts!
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Callum Semple ....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,903

    Callum Semple ....

    Ross County defender Callum Semple has been charged with betting on football matches.
    Semple was issued with a notice of complaint today by the Scottish FA for bets made between the period of July 1 and March 1, in which he also played for Queen of the South on loan from Sheffield United.

    ..... from Press and Journal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Retired in Dumfries
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravaigar View Post
    Ross County defender Callum Semple has been charged with betting on football matches.
    Semple was issued with a notice of complaint today by the Scottish FA for bets made between the period of July 1 and March 1, in which he also played for Queen of the South on loan from Sheffield United.

    ..... from Press and Journal.
    Seems somewhat of a scourge of the modern footballer these days-sad.
    Last edited by Spikefaethesouth; 14-03-2019 at 05:46 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    Seems somewhat of a scourge of the modern football these days-sad.
    It is obviously a problem in the game these days but why so few get investigated or charged.

    I am sure he will take his punishment, learn a lesson and move on.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug View Post
    It is obviously a problem in the game these days but why so few get investigated or charged.

    I am sure he will take his punishment, learn a lesson and move on.



    lol as long as you dont bet on your own team getting beat i dont see what the prob is ,thay make too much of this .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    lol as long as you dont bet on your own team getting beat i dont see what the prob is ,thay make too much of this .
    I agree Francis.

    I genuinely hope it’s rap on the knuckles for the lad.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    6,847
    Most of the guys I grew up with liked a bet on the football. Its part of our social culture . I dont see the problem with Semple having a bet as long as it doesn't involve his own team or direct opponents.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Most of the guys I grew up with liked a bet on the football. Its part of our social culture . I dont see the problem with Semple having a bet as long as it doesn't involve his own team or direct opponents.


    Id image most footballers like a bet. The secret is not getting caught and not setting up an account in your own name.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    I’d image most footballers like a bet. The secret is not getting caught and not setting up an account in your own name.
    He will learn from this young guy away from home for the first time after a long lay of. Shame but worth remembering his contribution to the first 6 months of our season

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dumfries
    Posts
    6,847
    Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    I’d image most footballers like a bet. The secret is not getting caught and not setting up an account in your own name.
    Setting up an account in your own name probably not a good idea. Footballers will just get their pals to put bets on for them . I'm sure others are privvy to information coming directly out of dressing rooms regarding team line ups in the same way tips will come out of racing stables. Having had a bit of a gambling problem myself a few years back , I'm not saying betting is a good thing only that it's that entrenched in society and footballers come from the same backgrounds most of us do. The authorities can't expect them to behave differently from other working class lads.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 15-03-2019 at 11:21 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Setting up an account in your own name probably not a good idea. Footballers will just get their pals to put bets on for them . I'm sure others are privvy to information coming directly out of dressing rooms regarding team line ups in the same way tips will come out of racing stables. Having had a bit of a gambling problem myself a few years back , I'm not saying betting is a good thing only that it's that entrenched in society and footballers come from the same backgrounds most of us do. The authorities can't expect them to behave differently from other working class lads.


    i know of quite a few pro footballers who are never out the bookies lol ,and some well known ex queens favourites who are still playing,iv never seen any prob with it .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i know of quite a few pro footballers who are never out the bookies lol ,and some well known ex queens favourites who are still playing,iv never seen any prob with it .
    It all sounds like double standards from the Scottish FA when one of their biggest sponsors is WILLIAM HILL.

    What a joke

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug View Post
    It all sounds like double standards from the Scottish FA when one of their biggest sponsors is WILLIAM HILL.

    What a joke
    Queens have had some famous or infamous players in the past who were renowned as gamblers !

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Queens have had some famous or infamous players in the past who were renowned as gamblers !
    My issue with this is what player do they choose to check?

    If it is so easy to check players then check them all once a season.

    Picking up on a young lad who moved from his family and friends to live in Dumfries then Ross County is extremely harsh on the lad.

    Maybe the SFA should be asking themselves why they hare happy to take vast sums of money from William Hill but are so anti betting ,,,

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,599
    I totally agree with both Francis and Mug, - what is the problem?

    If a player was betting against his own team, (as Francis stated above) then that is an entirely different matter.

    One very simple solution for professional players would be this: They must have their name and team noted by the Bookie on the computer at the time of placing the bet; e.g. Callum Semple Ross County, - and away he goes, - betting to his heart's content without any fears of doing any wrong, - apart from getting a kick in the bahookies from his missus!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I totally agree with both Francis and Mug, - what is the problem?

    If a player was betting against his own team, (as Francis stated above) then that is an entirely different matter.

    One very simple solution for professional players would be this: They must have their name and team noted by the Bookie on the computer at the time of placing the bet; e.g. Callum Semple Ross County, - and away he goes, - betting to his heart's content without any fears of doing any wrong, - apart from getting a kick in the bahookies from his missus!


    yep jardi thats the thing about bookies accounts once registered there is a record of every bet you have ever placed ,so all players should create there own accounts for proof of there own safety and also the other side of the coin proof of matchfixing against your own club .no hiding place either way .

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    I still have a huge issue of double standards on display at the Scottish FA.

    It’s like he National Association of Vegetarianism being bankrolled by British Beef .

    It really is a total joke.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug View Post
    I still have a huge issue of double standards on display at the Scottish FA.

    Its like he National Association of Vegetarianism being bankrolled by British Beef .

    It really is a total joke.


    lol british beef witch is soon to be priced through the roof if we get that silly brexit pushed through ,they will loss there sales market in europe which will be a killer for the farming industry loool ,the fermers are going to get what thay voted for by voting tory and thats bankruptcy trough tory brexit ,could also be bad or a good thing for scottish football this brexit as there will be less foreign players which will mean more scotts playing ,either good or bad lol ,as not enough deccent scottish players come through these days .

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    lol british beef witch is soon to be priced through the roof if we get that silly brexit pushed through ,they will loss there sales market in europe which will be a killer for the farming industry loool ,the fermers are going to get what thay voted for by voting tory and thats bankruptcy trough tory brexit ,could also be bad or a good thing for scottish football this brexit as there will be less foreign players which will mean more scotts playing ,either good or bad lol ,as not enough deccent scottish players come through these days .
    Congratulations on turning my initial point into a brexit debate.

    Fantastic pal .......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •