+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed for book

Help needed for book

Good evening gents.
    I'm in the final throes of writing and researching material for a book that is to celebrate United fans, it will be titled Arabs Away.
    I need a little info, though, because for the life of me I can't remember the sequence of events on the day United won the league at Dens. My question is, specifically: Did Jim McLean and the players leave the pitch, then reappear to celebrate with the fans?

I've found several previously unused reels of 35mm photos of the day, and intend to tell the story of that great afternoon in chronological order, using some pix of the players, but mostly pix of fans tense, celebrating, tense again, celebrating more, etc. But the sequence makes slightly more sense (I think) if the players leave the pitch for a couple of minutes, then return.

Can anyone remember if that happened?

Wee Jim has a raincoat on at the final whistle when he exits the dugout, but fairly quickly afterwards he has a sports jacket on. That’s what is throwing me.

There are some amazing pix, though. Lots of 1980s taches!

Many thanks.

Evening steve. I was in the enclosure at Dens that day & had the distinct memory of the players leaving the pitch then coming back out a short time later. I confirmed my memory wasnt playing tricks by watching the bbc match highlights & archie actually mentions that the police were allowing the team to come back out & the footage shows it happening. Will look out for the book when its finished

I was in the TC Keay and Jim had a coat on, maybe he'd had a chill or something. As bannons boots says there was a delay, not sure how long, then they came back out and Jim had the jacket on. Maybe it was on all the time under the coat.
    There's a great pic somewhere of Luggy racing from the dugout at time up and Jim is still sat down.

Thanks very much Bannons and Stoke. I think it is fairly clear they must have gone up the tunnel (or that strange "ramp" thing at Dens) then come out again.
    Much appreciated.
    I've got the pic of Luggy (and Boney) exploding out of the dugout. Jim and Walter are a bit more sedate. Bedlam ensues after that! ....and Davie Dodds gets a mental-sized hat!
    I'll post you books, as thanks for help, if you want to pm me an address.

Let us know when it’s published and how we can get our hands on it. Arabest!

Thanks USA.
    You'll probably be pictured in it.
    All Arabs are in it!

Thanks for the help and kind words gents.

invernality stevie boy?
    Last edited by B4 i go; 17-03-2019 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Yet Another prick

Invernality? Is that a strange code for something?
    If you mean Invertay? I was there. Some small amount of years ago.

Steve, is your brother Rod Finan. Rod's a good Arab and used to come on buses we ran from Carnoustie.

Bannons & Stoke, the book is now in shops. As thanks for your help I'll send you a signed copy if you ping me an address.Name:  Arabs cover lo res.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  105.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)