+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: North Ferriby Utd wound up after 80yrs

North Ferriby Utd wound up after 80yrs

North Ferriby United: Northern Premier League club to be wound up after 85 years over £8k unpaid debt

North Ferriby United won the FA Trophy in 2015 beating Wrexham on penalties
    Northern Premier League club and former FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United have been wound up.

The decision follows a court hearing in Hull when it was ruled the East Yorkshire club would not be allowed to fulfil any more fixtures.

They were due to host Bamber Bridge on Saturday, but were 19 points adrift at the bottom of the table with only two wins all season.

North Ferriby played in the National League as recently as 2016-17.

The year before, they beat Wrexham 5-4 on penalties at Wembley in the FA Trophy final after the game finished 3-3 after extra time.

North Ferriby posted a series of farewell tweets on social media
    In a short statement on social media, the club confirmed it will now be placed in the hands of a liquidator.

"We would like to thank every single player that has played for our fantastic club, with every manager who has led us to success," the statement said.

"Our biggest thank you's are to the supporters who have helped to make this club arguably the friendliest in non-league.

"Most importantly, you have given your support to the team, no matter where we sit in the table."

The Northern League are yet to comment on what the decision will mean for promotion and relegation from the premier division this season.

Shame. Met a fan of theirs about 2 years ago whilst on holiday and he was telling me about their cup win at Wembley and how he'd never thowt he'd see the day. He was a lifelong fan.

I'm fairly sure that the Alams, (Hull City owners), have a stake in this somewhere. Could be the land, but I'm not sure. They wanted to build a new stadium for Hull City near there. Rejected by the fans and the local council.
    Since then, dolly well out the pram. Owners very unpopular with everyone.
    I see it the same as the Oystons were at Blackpool.

what gets on my chesticles about these sorts of actions is that they get the book thrown at them for £8000 of debt yet we constantly see teams in debt to the tune of tens and hundreds of millions getting away with financial suicide in the PL and EFL. At what point do the PL and EFL step in and make an example of somebody higher up the footballing pyramid? Or is it a case of they love the spending really as it fuels the 'product' that is on offer from a global TV rights point of view.

To only have such little debt I would argue that clubs such as North Ferriby are actually better run than the vast majority of PL and EFL teams as they have to make things crack with a couple of hundred fans turning up every other week for 2/3rds of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    what gets on my chesticles about these sorts of actions is that they get the book thrown at them for £8000 of debt yet we constantly see teams in debt to the tune of tens and hundreds of millions getting away with financial suicide in the PL and EFL. At what point do the PL and EFL step in and make an example of somebody higher up the footballing pyramid? Or is it a case of they love the spending really as it fuels the 'product' that is on offer from a global TV rights point of view.

To only have such little debt I would argue that clubs such as North Ferriby are actually better run than the vast majority of PL and EFL teams as they have to make things crack with a couple of hundred fans turning up every other week for 2/3rds of the year!
    Could be seen as relative I guess but I take your point , 8k of debt to North Ferriby could equate to £8m for clubs such as Forest Green or Accrington which would be a catastrophe given their turnover .

Quote Originally Posted by Redstew View Post
    I'm fairly sure that the Alams, (Hull City owners), have a stake in this somewhere. Could be the land, but I'm not sure. They wanted to build a new stadium for Hull City near there. Rejected by the fans and the local council.
    Since then, dolly well out the pram. Owners very unpopular with everyone.
    I see it the same as the Oystons were at Blackpool.
    Think it was their daughter that owned them then pulled out, they also stopped their U23s playing there as well I believe