+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leeds 0 United 1 - report

Leeds 0 United 1 - report

It was a huge three points for the Blades as they won at Elland Road for the 2nd successive season and in doing so went back into the automatic promotion places. In this pivotal contest, United were second best in the first half but survived an impressive Leeds performance and came out and improved immeasurably after the break. United kept the ball better and then scored the crucial goal. Skipper Billy Sharp fed Chris Basham, and after he had missed a good chance at the end of the first half, he made no mistake driving into the far corner. After this United defended well and survived late pressure and as the game entered the final minute Sharp was hauled down by Casilla who was given a red card. Pontus Jansson who had been injured and hobbling went into goal for the closing stages. United saw out the additional time to record yet another clean sheet and another win.

United made three changes with as expected Sharp and McGoldrick going up front but there was a bigger surprise with Martin Cranie getting the nod in defence and Chris Basham moving into central midfield alongside Norwood and Fleck. Leeds began with the side that was expected with Alioski remaining at left back in preference to Barry Douglas and Jack Clarke back on the bench.

In front of a packed home crowd, the hosts came out flying and were straight on the attack forcing United back. Egan and Stevens had to be alert to make key blocks. United came out and had their first attack and Norwood hit a long range shot that flew over the bar. Leeds were back on the offensive and they beat the offside trap and Roberts cut inside and pulled it back but the ball was blocked by Egan. More good play saw a chipped ball to Klich and then Hernandez pulled the ball back but Harrison’s cushioned volley went over the bar.

Alioski was in on the overlap but the ball was cleared by O’Connell before Baldock tried to move United up the field but overran the ball and was given a yellow card for a late tackle. Fortunately for United his foot was low down and he barely made contact or it could have been a different colour. Leeds continued to dominate. Bamford fired over and then Jansson was well forward but stopped well by Cranie. A long diagonal cross saw a rare moment of slack marking and Roberts headed wide. Henderson then had to come out and take a high ball under pressure as Egan waited for his keeper to come and collect.

United had not really got going and Leeds had penned them back. The selection had not worked with Basham giving the ball away and not really making much of an impact in terms of breaking things up. Norwood and Fleck then uncharacteristically gave it away also before Leeds won a corner. United really were struggling to stem the tide but did win a free kick after good work from McGoldrick as he was chopped down by Cooper. Norwood’s free kick from a decent position hit the wall though.

Leeds broke away at pace and Ayling played a one two to beat the offside trap again but Alioski blazed well over as Basham’s ***** touch took it away from Klich. Cranie then brought down Bamford but the free kick was poor from Leeds. United continued to invite pressure on them and the defensive line was not quite in sync as the offside trap was broken again but the final ball fortunately was poor. United’s ball retention continued to be a real concern but they at least did keep it for a period towards the end of the first half.

Stevens showed quick feet to get in and his cross was saved after it got stuck under his feet before he put a cross over that was turned behind for a corner. From this delivery Basham headed back and it ricocheted about but Egan and Sharp could not quite turn it goalward and it was cleared for another corner on the other side. This kick was flicked over by McGoldrick. At least United were not showing something in terms of an attacking side and they created the best chance of the game when McGoldrick did superbly and ghosted past his man before sending Basham though with a great ball but in an unfamiliar position; Basham tried to first take it round the keeper which he did but his ball across to Sharp was weak and easily cleared. He really should have gone for goal himself.

The half time whistle came soon after. United had been second best for most of the half but had a good spell and then the best opportunity right on the stroke of half time.

The theme of the first half continued early on with Basham giving it away and then Leeds working an opening but the defence kept firm and United started to play with more composure and keep it better. Clever play again by McGoldrick played in Baldock who advanced into the box but his cross was cleared. It was a more even contest now with Fleck and Norwood having more of a say in proceedings with the former getting on the ball and moving United up the pitch. Good work from Stevens and O’Connell fed Sharp in the box who held it up and fed Norwood and his shot was sliced badly wide.

Douglas came on for Harrison and Alioski moved further up the field and Leeds then created a good chance after neat work down the right-hand side. The ball was played from Klich across the box and Roberts effort smacked the post and for the second time in a week, United had a bit of a let off. Sharp was then booked very harshly after an accidental clash of heads with Jansson who had to have treatment. Leeds worked it across the field but their final ball had been poor this half and Cranie and then O’Connell read the danger well. Sharp won a few fouls up the field and the game was certainly more even this half.

As the game entered the final 20 minutes, it was the Blades who got the ***** breakthrough. Poor defending initially by Cooper saw Sharp managed to wrestle away with the ball and then he showed superb composure to roll the ball across at the perfect weight for the onrushing BASHAM. This time he made no mistake and steered it right into the corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. He wheeled away and dived into the rain right in front of the ecstatic United fans. A huge goal and moment in the season from a man who has been very much a talisman and embodiment of this Wilder led revival.

United now had to concentrate and Leeds won a corner straight away but Stevens cleared before Cranie again stepped in superbly. Clarke and Dallas came on for Klich and Ayling as Bielsa tried to find some fresh impetus. Jansson was on the ground again, as he did well to just stop another rampaging Basham run. However, in making the tackle he seemed to injure his knee and was down in some pain. He had more treatment and hobbled on but was clearly struggling and Leeds had made all their changes.

The game entered the final 10 minutes and United were continuing to maintain top class focus and concentration and were keeping a nice compact shape. Leeds sent Jansson up front after some deliberation with the coaching staff as whether to bring him off or keep him on. Remarkably he nearly scored soon after a cross came over and the centre back poked wide when well placed. This was Leeds best chance and maybe only real chance outside of the one that hit the post, in the entire second half. Indeed, Dean Henderson had still not had a save to make all game despite Leeds having a number of attacks.

More excellent defensive work saw O’Connell throw his body at a shot and then Stevens calmly cleared. McGoldrick’s last act was to cheaply give the ball away. A rare error in a good performance but fortunately Leeds could not exploit that and United blocked again. Dowell came on and Sharp was left up front on his own.

Cranie read two balls through to shepherd one back to Henderson and make another tackle. The game went into the final minute when a poor mistake by Phillips was intercepted by Sharp who was bearing in on goal. He went around Casilla who clumsily brought him down. The red card was clear and obvious as the United man was about to clearly seal the game. His appeals were remarkable considering the obvious nature of the decision. The goalkeeper will now face a three-match ban at a ***** stage of the season. At first it seemed Hernandez may go in goal but they realised the immobile Jansson would be better served playing the 5 minutes of stoppage signalled, between the sticks.

Norwood’s free kick was blocked after the delay to allow the outfield player to don the gloves. United did manage to see out time near the corner with Sharp and Dowell doing well. Leeds then launched it forward and they threatened to get in down the right with Hernandez but man mountain O’Connell headed away. Fleck then cleared it before Basham got a ***** tackle in as the game entered the final minute of stoppage time. Leeds won a late corner and Jansson was up at the other end but the ball was cleared and United kept their shape and poise. The game was now into the 97th minutes and with Chris Wilder and his bench screaming for time; the ball went forward again but drifted out of play and after Henderson’s goal kick away; the final whistle came. The United players reaction said it all. Alioski and Henderson clashed on full time with the goalkeeper probably having words after the theatrics of the Leeds player who had tried to win several fouls by ill means. United players embraced all over the field and It was a huge three points. The team went to celebrate with the away fans. Henderson’s fist pumps and Wilder’s pumping of his chest the traditional victory cigars were in evidence again!

United – Phew. Exhausted watching that. Felt like I kicked and headed every ball on Tuesday and it was the same today. We have not been anywhere near our best in terms of possession or football played and first half we were poor today giving it away, not getting the defensive line right and had to hand in there. Leeds had been much better than us and as Wilder admitted, the team selection maybe had backfired as Bash and the other were giving it away too much. Leeds swarmed all over us and played it at pace. They did go quite direct and pick up bits, then play nice stuff in the final third. They had a few decent chances but Henderson did not have a save to make for all the domination. United then had a good spell and could have scored right at the end but Bash panicked a bit. I did go in at half time feeling like we had not quite come to the party and that we had not offered our best performance by any stretch of the imagination. I was annoyed that was had sat back and also that we had not attacked but I guessed as the pundits said, Wilder was worried about Leeds just coming out of the traps and blowing us away as they did to WBA. He wanted to hang in there. I felt we should have let them worry about us more. We had no link between midfield and attack but even more than the Bash v Duffy/Dowell argument the whole team gave it away and also switched off a bit when they went down the sides. We made a few good blocks but they did miss some chances unopposed – the Harrison and Roberts chances were decent. Still I was delighted to go in 0-0 at half time. Some said maybe we let them have it as Leeds are so good when others have the ball and they press and make them turn it over; not sure that was the case. We were just sloppy and did not have intensity on an off the ball. Leeds moved it around too easily and got into the final third with ease. Still they did not score and were right in the game.

We must improve after the break and we did. The 2nd half I felt was even. I actually felt we were better than them in possession and in the final third broke well and had a few half chances. They of course hit the post but not sure they had any real clear chances outside of this. They did have a lot of the ball again but we were better organised and closed down the gaps more. O’Connell and Egan came onto the ball more and we closed the gaps better. Bash started to get his foot in more and we played at a higher tempo. I still would have been delighted with a draw so when we went away and scored, I was delighted. The thing now was if we could hang on. I expected the Alamo as Leeds have scored so many late goal and was concerned if they got one…they may get two but we kept ticking off 5-minute chunks and before you know it the game was into the final 5 minutes. The stoppages helped us although Jansson and Alioski spent a lot of time on the floor. The former was struggling and meant they almost had 10 for the final 10 minutes. Still they did keep coming at us and I was very nervous despite our great defence – funny how you still think of the Villa game – even though we have been faultless since. Typical United fan pessimism! We then broke away and the red card came. Of course, I would have loved Sharp to score but the outcome with the red card and the experienced keeper going off actually now we won, could help us even more. The young lad Peacock Farrell was a bit ropey at times earlier in the season and now with three games to come including Millwall who chuck everything in the box; it might not be easy for Leeds to defend.

In the end I felt the game was quite similar to the one at the Lane. A game that we were better in and had the better of the play but the away side won it with a bit of a smash and grab goal. So, it is probably even Stevens in that regard.

United were nowhere near their best but as Wilder alluded to; Leeds did this at our place and we have had many games over the last two seasons in this league where the other team were not full value for the win but somehow did beat us. Nice that we have had a few games where we have just scrapped and battled and shown heart. It had not been about our great football and style the last two games but desire, work ethic and organisation. I thought the defence were a bit off first half but the second half they were excellent and to a man did their job superbly. Cranie was superb and O’Connell and Egan blocked and headed everything. I thought Bash improved and then after we scored, we had something to hang onto. Really proud of them. It was a tough test and after subpar first half they came through it and won another game. There will be lots of twists and turns but we have gone to WBA and Leeds and won. These are remarkable results and inspired performances. Some colossal efforts from the players. The will to win and desire is something to be behold. They care massively and you cannot help be inspired by them. We have a real chance.

There are 8 games to play and a few tough away trips to come and a few tough home games but if we can keep ticking them off; you never know. I think the last three are against teams who will have nothing to play for; so, if we can hang onto second before them, then we have a great chance. Norwich look gone and just keep on winning but Leeds have shown they cannot hold their nerve maybe when they play the big guns – lost to us and Norwich. The trio of games are big in the next week – with both us and Leeds going to Brum and Preston and both have a home game before that – be interesting to see the table after those three games. United have to just keep on plugging away. We will go close I am sure. We need to pack the Lane for the last four home games and give the team the support they deserve.

Leeds – First half they were excellent. I was surprised how quickly they knocked the ball forward though. They do get it up to the top players with long balls a lot. They then get it and move it around. They play some neat and clever stuff when in the final third. They had some decent chances but did not make the keeper work at all and will be disappointed. They actually did dominate first half; we gave it away a lot but they surged up the field at will and penned us back. They will feel they should have led at half time but did not. Second half they did not quite keep this level of intensity up and I always felt even at the end of the first half they take chances at the back and make mistakes. I feel we have a much better defence and it proved today – Leeds made some poor mistakes on a few occasions. The one that hit the post was ***** and small margins change games. We have maybe had a bit of luck in this regard but then Henderson was not tested all game.

At the other end the goal was avoidable and the red card was preventable too. Oddly they had big gaps and seemed a bit cavalier for a side that if they avoided defeat would have still been in pole position. I think they can still concede sloppy goals in the run in and that gives me hope. They clearly have so much energy and high fitness levels but we matched this today and at the end our lads looked more determined (big credit to our own fitness team) as they put bodes on the line. Leeds kind of run out of ideas after we scored. They have some really talented individual players. Some tricky young lads in Roberts and Harrison (although both on loan) and Bamford is a clever player who should have done more with his career – already a bit of a journeyman. Klich is a decent footballer who scored goal and Hernandez a real talent (would be great in the Duffy role!). I think the lad Clarke has a bit of Brooks about him and glad he did not get in the game much after he came on. They miss Roofe who has been a really important player for them. Alioski is a decent player and has oddly been better at left back but goes to floor a lot and constantly looking for the free kick; ditto for Jansson - a decent defender who moans and groans constantly. If they both just played the game, they would be much better.

Leeds main threat is their intensity on and off the ball so if this drops off as it did second half; they do not look anywhere near as threatening. A lot of their good football comes after regaining possession after swarming all over teams to get the ball back. When this did not happen 2nd half we were as good as them really. I expect them to last the pace and not sure they will drop many points but Bielsa seemed a little rattled at the end which was odd as he kept asking the interviewer his opinion. I actually quite like him! He is an odd character but he seems pretty straightforward and is quite honest. Shame he is Leeds manager as his quirky ways and clear talent for coaching is a bit wasted there! Sure, if Leeds do not go up, a few Premier League clubs may look at him but he is 63 I suppose. Mind you Warnock and Hodgson got 10 years on him! I do wonder if Leeds will keep that intensity up and high level of training with double sessions for a further season – mind you we have kept our style of play going and improved it so who knows. I just wonder if this level of intensity will/can be maintained longer term.

Opponent man of the match – Alioski had a good game despite his theatrics and was a threat. Hernandez got into some nice pockets too and was always a threat. Bamford was neat and tidy but faded away. I do like Phillips; a real athlete who can play defence and Ayling is underrated as a full back. Roberts also is a good athlete who can run with the ball. A bit like us they are more about the sum of their parts really. Klich has maybe been one of the stand outs though. He showed some nice touches, passes and got into the box. He has been a real key man and maybe the stand out again today.

Weak link – I am not sure Jansson and Cooper are totally reliable – they do make mistakes and it showed today. They both made errors when pressed. I thought Harrison was poor and missed a chance and was a bit greedy at times. No one played really badly but Jansson had a bit of a day constantly going to the floor (*occasionally legitimately too!) and then getting injured. Not his fault but his inactivity for the final minutes prevented them getting them getting much of a head of steam up and then he missed the only real chance they had after we scored.

Henderson 7/10 – Solid performance again. Caught everything he had to; intercepted through balls. His kicking was sound in the face of jeers from Leeds remembering his error at the Lane. Just really sound and composed. Did not actually have a save to make. I do wonder if he had got the one that hit the post. His hand was right next to it. Not saying he had it covered but it was not as close as daft as that sounds as the one in the week and hit more of the outside of the post.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Put under a lot of pressure early on as the whole defence was and gave his man too much time. He did try and get us out and made a very rash tackle. After this he stayed in the game and after the break, he got forward a few times with a couple of runs. Kept his composure and did what he had to. Made a couple of good interceptions near the end.

Stevens 8/10 – Thought he was excellent. First 30 minutes he was put under pressure and they got down his side quite a bit and he was a bit exposed but after the break we had a better shape. Going forward he made a few good runs and breaks. Really showed such class and composure when faced with balls coming at him. Looks a top player and a class act.

Egan 7.5/10 – Another very good display. First half he did lose his man a few times and they had a header and then a shot where he was a bit slow to react but got tighter and more disciplined as the game went on. Made several blocks and headers and was just very solid yet again and threw his body into the way of several shots again.

O’Connell 8/10 – Another outstanding display where he showed composure, calmness on the ball in tight areas and real bravery to make more blocks and tackles. Playing inspired at the moment and in the form of his life. He really had a we shall not pass attitude and those clean sheets mean everything to him. An absolute leader at the moment at the back in a defence that is playing superbly.

Cranie 8/10 – He has been a revelation really and now you cannot really leave him out. Makes tackles and interceptions but reads the game really well. Quite mobile and deceptive in his pace when he covers. Made a great block first half early on. He was excellent as the clock ticked away and every time, they put it into our box he seemed to know exactly where it was going came across to clear or to see out the danger. Quietly he has been a massive addition to the squad.

Fleck 7/10 – Thought first half he was poor and did not see much of the ball or get tight enough to the Leeds midfield but slowly started to get into it. Second half he was much better and was able to keep it and play it in a more calm and secure manner. He drove forward a bit more too. Towards the end helped us see it out as he did in the week showing his defensive side with some good interceptions.

Norwood 6.5/10 – Not his best and I felt was sloppy with the ball and first half never got in. They did press us but we also gave it away under little pressure too. I also thought he did not do enough defensively and they had too much time to run off us. He struggled to cope with the movement behind him also. Second half he did improve and kept it a bit better but still felt it was others that were more influential but did some good stuff defensively also. He had two free kick opportunities at

Basham 7/10 – For the first hour or so he may have been a 5 at best! He was like a fish out of water. We have played him there before (Hillsborough last season) where he has done well but I think at the top level of this league, he struggles as technically he cannot keep the ball well enough and struggles to know where to actually play – he seemed to not know where to go! I felt he panicked when he had it as shown on the chance. Even second half he continued to be sloppy and I felt he should come off but then he surges forward and scores the crucial goal keeping his composure! After this he became inspired and nearly got in for another chance and then made lots of tackles and blocks. I suppose he did what he had to do and then scored the massive goal! He got in the positions for the chances and that sums up his energy levels.

Sharp 7/10 – Worked hard with little service at all first half as we defended much of the game but then second half, he started to hold it better and be a nuisance. He may have committed a few fouls but made sure he knew they were about and forced the centre backs into mistakes. This happened on the goal and he played a lovely ball into Bash’s path. After this he scrapped and fought and then of course nearly got a second. Will want to get a goal as not scored for a while. Can see the front two staying the game for much of the run in now.

McGoldrick 7/10 – Thought he was our best attacking threat and first half at least held it up a bit and drew defenders. So calm and classy in possession. He made the Basham chance and then flicked on for the Sharp assist. He also was able to help us keep it higher up the field. He did not see lot of it but when he had it, he did ok – only giving it away cheaply a few times. Had one headed effort over but not many other chances.

Subs –

Dowell – Came on as we tried to run the clock down and did get into the corner a few times which helped kill the last few minutes.

Lundstram – Came on for the exhausted Basham at the end. Not sure he kicked it but at this stage it was just managing the game in the last few minutes.

Wilder 8/10 – His selection was brave in terms of Basham in midfield and for the first 40 minutes; it did not work at all as he admitted but then he scored the winner in an advanced position. His other surprise selection Cranie was superb and one of the best players on the field. He kept with the side that started and it paid off in the end. Another superbly organised and resolute performance. The way we kept our shape and composure in front of a packed and hostile crowd was immense. We have not conceded at Wednesday, WBA and now Leeds. That sums up how good we are playing defensively. We hopefully now can get back to the fluent passing game now some of the ‘pressure derby’ games are out of the way and be a bit more relaxed whilst maintaining the same desire and intensity defensively.

Referee – I thought David Coote had a really good game actually. A few iffy decisions both ways but he made sure it was not all about him. Got the Baldock one right and the red card was an easy one. The Sharp one was incredibly harsh but at least he did not fall for some of the theatrics of Alioski who was looking for fouls constantly. Did get a few other things wrong like us taking an offside in their half and then the corner which to us which to be fair he quickly realised – not often refs do that but that was good even if it went against us. He did play 2 minutes over the allotted time. The sending off happened before the stoppage time so not sure where the extra time came from as there was no significant delays in this period really other than the one sub which was say 30 seconds. Still overall, he handled the game quite well and did not try and throw cards around here, there and everywhere.