+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Why do you always put it better than me.
    I put it down to age.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Why don't you fcuk off. ****.
    I was searching for the words to reply to why....you put it excellently.

Think the original ratings are v harsh on Hemmings, who IMO looked very sharp and occupied the two CBs well, but unfortunately fed off scraps for the 90 mins.

The midfield was what cost us a win today and that was where the poor individual performances came. Not only did we have an extra man in there, but one of their two was Jordan Cranston - a left back who we let go three years ago. But all five underperformed and the three central were poor with and without the ball.

Ardley should take some blame in this regard. His initial selection was logical - keeping the same system/available personnel that did so well on Tuesday - but he failed to adapt in any way from then or inject any urgency to push for the win we desperately needed. Why persevere with 3 under-performing defensive midfielders for so long? He could’ve pushed Alessandra central or put Patching on earlier if he wanted to keep the 3, which may have just given us a shred of creativity and support for Hemmings we were clearly lacking. Failing that, put an extra striker on alongside him (before the 85th minute).

Schofield - 6 - One ok save, not a lot to do. Still causes panic with nothing balls by staying glued to his line. Kicking largely terrible. Don’t understand the clamour to get him to play next week - really don’t see a lot of difference in overall standard between him & Fitzsimons.

Tootle - 7 - Did well having had so long without a game. Strong in the tackle and a supportive presence going forward. Would keep him in.

Stubbs - 8.5* - Pretty faultless in all aspects. Aerially dominant, positionally good and smart use of the ball throughout. Looked far more comfortable alongside a senior partner.

Duffy - 8 - Know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s frustrating he’s been out of the squad while Ardley persevered with a very youthful triangle of loanees that was patently never going to work long-term. The organiser we needed at the back. Whatever you think of him, our defence looks far more secure with him in it. Barely put a foot wrong.

Milsom - 7 - MOTM award was a bit strong but was very good defensively throughout. Smart move switching him to left back; has solved a problem position.

Boldewijn - 5 - Takes unfair stick at times but should’ve done better with our one clear cut chance and passed-up opportunities to run at the LB and a 40 year old (?) Kevin Ellison. We need to make use of him but he himself could do more. Did put in a shift and a couple of good tackles defensively, so can’t be accused of a lack of effort.

Vaughan - 5 - Generally think he gets a harsh deal from our fans but hard to defend him today. Positive is he created our one real chance but equally didn’t impact the game overall and just wasn’t good/creative enough on the ball, which is what you expect from him. Like all the midfielders wanted an extra touch when it wasn’t needed, which was a big factor in us not creating much.

Doyle - 5.5 - Marginally better than Vaughan but hasn’t really delivered since his first couple of games. Has time caught up with him? Set-pieces are repeatedly terrible and it’s baffling no-ones thought to take him off them.

Rose - 5 - Strong in the tackle but lacked quality on the ball and lucky to be left on for the 90.

Alessandra - 5 - Another who was guilty of taking too many touches. Would’ve tried him central just to see if it would give us any more creativity. Lost and not in the game on the wing.

Hemmings - 7 - Looked on it, occupying the centre backs, winning his share of headers and bringing down balls he had no real right to - so it’s a real shame he didn’t have even a half chance in the entire match. Movement was good too but desperately needed some support.

CMS - 5 - Poor, didn’t really improve things.

Patching - 7 - Didn’t waste a pass. Should’ve been tried earlier and been allowed to take set-pieces when he was on ahead of Doyle.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 16-03-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Scholfield 6 - kicking not the best, did make one good save from a deflected shot.
    Tootle 6 - still not the Tootle of last season, but did ok.
    Stubbs 7 - didn't do much wrong, looks a good player in the making.
    Duffy 7* - I know Duffy has his critics, but his reading of the game makes him our best option in central defence.
    Milson 7 - looked solid, he has made the left back position his own.
    Enzio 5.5 - can't fault him for effort, but we struggled to get him involved in the game and he missed by far our best chance.
    Rose 6 - did a decent job in stopping them build attacks.
    Alles 4.5 - had the first touch of an elephant and still can't beat a man.
    Vaughan 5 - I though passing was supposed to be his plus point? He struggled to do even the simple stuff.
    Doyle 6 - always made himself available for a pass, but his set pieces were poor.
    Hemmings 6.5 - did as much as could be expected as he was often left isolated up front.

Mackail-Smith 5 - I was hoping he would be brought on, but not his best day.
    Patching 6.5 - some good moments in the short time he was on.

A dull game which neither side did enough to win. I suppose we are a point closer to Yeovil, but we have to be far more creative if we want to stay up. The most disappointing thing is that in the last 20 minutes we struggled to get out of our own half. A final word on Kevin Ellison. Even though he got a bit of abuse from the home stands, he was still going strong at the end of the game. He is past 40, but people claim we have players a few years younger who can't manage two games in a week!

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Think the original ratings are v harsh on Hemmings, who IMO looked very sharp and occupied the two CBs well, but unfortunately fed off scraps for the 90 mins.

The midfield was what cost us a win today and that was where the poor individual performances came. Not only did we have an extra man in there, but one of their two was Jordan Cranston - a left back who we let go three years ago. But all five underperformed and the three central were poor with and without the ball.

Ardley should take some blame in this regard. His initial selection was logical - keeping the same system/available personnel that did so well on Tuesday - but he failed to adapt in any way from then or inject any urgency to push for the win we desperately needed. Why persevere with 3 under-performing defensive midfielders for so long? He could’ve pushed Alessandra central or put Patching on earlier if he wanted to keep the 3, which may have just given us a shred of creativity and support for Hemmings we were clearly lacking. Failing that, put an extra striker on alongside him (before the 85th minute).

Schofield - 6 - One ok save, not a lot to do. Still causes panic with nothing balls by staying glued to his line. Kicking largely terrible. Don’t understand the clamour to get him to play next week - really don’t see a lot of difference in overall standard between him & Fitzsimons.

Tootle - 7 - Did well having had so long without a game. Strong in the tackle and a supportive presence going forward. Would keep him in.

Stubbs - 8.5* - Pretty faultless in all aspects. Aerially dominant, positionally good and smart use of the ball throughout. Looked far more comfortable alongside a senior partner.

Duffy - 8 - Know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s frustrating he’s been out of the squad while Ardley persevered with a very youthful triangle of loanees that was patently never going to work long-term. The organiser we needed at the back. Whatever you think of him, our defence looks far more secure with him in it. Barely put a foot wrong.

Milsom - 7 - MOTM award was a bit strong but was very good defensively throughout. Smart move switching him to left back; has solved a problem position.

Boldewijn - 5 - Takes unfair stick at times but should’ve done better with our one clear cut chance and passed-up opportunities to run at the LB and a 40 year old (?) Kevin Ellison. We need to make use of him but he himself could do more. Did put in a shift and a couple of good tackles defensively, so can’t be accused of a lack of effort.

Vaughan - 5 - Generally think he gets a harsh deal from our fans but hard to defend him today. Positive is he created our one real chance but equally didn’t impact the game overall and just wasn’t good/creative enough on the ball, which is what you expect from him. Like all the midfielders wanted an extra touch when it wasn’t needed, which was a big factor in us not creating much.

Doyle - 5.5 - Marginally better than Vaughan but hasn’t really delivered since his first couple of games. Has time caught up with him? Set-pieces are repeatedly terrible and it’s baffling no-ones thought to take him off them.

Rose - 5 - Strong in the tackle but lacked quality on the ball and lucky to be left on for the 90.

Alessandra - 5 - Another who was guilty of taking too many touches. Would’ve tried him central just to see if it would give us any more creativity. Lost and not in the game on the wing.

Hemmings - 7 - Looked on it, occupying the centre backs, winning his share of headers and bringing down balls he had no real right to - so it’s a real shame he didn’t have even a half chance in the entire match. Movement was good too but desperately needed some support.

CMS - 5 - Poor, didn’t really improve things.

Patching - 7 - Didn’t waste a pass. Should’ve been tried earlier and been allowed to take set-pieces when he was on ahead of Doyle.
    Spot on about Doyle, his set pieces are terrible. Enzio takes " unfair stick" . I think it's justified

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Alles 4.5 - had the first touch of an elephant and still can't beat a man.
    That's always been my opinion of him when I've seen him. When he broke free on his own against Carlisle with no keeper in the goal, I still thought he would miss, even thought I was watching the highlights and knew he had scored.

Given that the defence is now sorted and Hemmings is starting to play to League 2 standard, all we need is a few tweaks. Dumping Alles seems to be one of them, scapegoat or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    That's always been my opinion of him when I've seen him. When he broke free on his own against Carlisle with no keeper in the goal, I still thought he would miss, even thought I was watching the highlights and knew he had scored.

Given that the defence is now sorted and Hemmings is starting to play to League 2 standard, all we need is a few tweaks. Dumping Alles seems to be one of them, scapegoat or not.
    Just a shame its taken nearly 40 games to get to that point and almost certainly resulting in our relegation hey?!

I echo Elites points earlier. I like to see these threads to see what kind of dross has been served up. I still cant understand why almost every single player who comes to Notts that is a big note signing turns out to be dross the latest being Doyle. Is there some kind of talent sapping curse on Meadow Lane? Since Munto name me one big note signing that has lived up to expectations other than perhaps Shola but he was ancient anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Just a shame its taken nearly 40 games to get to that point and almost certainly resulting in our relegation hey?!

I echo Elites points earlier. I like to see these threads to see what kind of dross has been served up. I still cant understand why almost every single player who comes to Notts that is a big note signing turns out to be dross the latest being Doyle. Is there some kind of talent sapping curse on Meadow Lane? Since Munto name me one big note signing that has lived up to expectations other than perhaps Shola but he was ancient anyway.
    I wouldn't say Doyle is "dross" but I think Notts fans should reword that song.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Well, yes, but there are still straws to be clutched at.

I can't name that player because I believe Munto were the best recruiters of players we've had since the Pavis days, even if they were using fake money. Mind you, given that Trew and Hardy didn't really have any cash, so were they.

Schofield 6 - Did ok, but I really don't think he's any improvement on Fitz. If we were dropping Fitz, it should have been for a commanding, dominant goalkeeper, not Fitz 2.0.
    Tootle 6 - Not good, not bad. Lacking fitness and a shadow of last year's right back.
    Stubbs 7.5 - Battled well, looks solid.
    Duffy 7.5 - I've been one of his biggest critics, but it's been refreshing to have him back and his experience is essential.
    Milsom 8 - My MOTM. Been a revelation at left back.
    Enzio 6 - Did he not do enough, or did we not get the ball to him enough? The latter for me. He's our danger man if we use him properly.
    Rose 6.5 - Thought he started the first half like a trooper, but faded in the second.
    Aless 5 - As I accused Hemmings of being recently, Aless has started playing it safe. Didn't do a lot wrong, but afraid to have a go at actually doing anything. Too many sideways and backwards passes - you're a forward, attack the goal!!!
    Vaughan 6 - Did ok first half, touch and passing ability started to depart him more and more as the game went on.
    Doyle 5.5 - Tries hard, but was largely ineffective. Set pieces are shocking - I thought we'd hit rock bottom when Hewitt was taking them...
    Hemmings 7 - Great touches, worked hard, but generally had terrible service. Why, oh why, when he is the last line are we playing it to him to flick on? When played into danger areas at his feet, you can see the quality of his touch and what he can do.

Mackail-Smith 4 - I was pleased to see him come on, but had a stinker when he did, epitomised by the left foot shank into the Kop advertising boards under no pressure.
    Patching 6 - Looked willing, which is something I've not seen from him before.

The lack of creativity is a massive concern. In my opinion, we have some quality players but are just not playing it to their strengths. Get the ball up to Hemmings feet. Knock it wide for Enzio's feet. The reason we don't do better is we have a tendency to hold the ball up, rather than drive forwards using pace. Increase the tempo and put the other team on the back foot, rather than letting them settle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast