+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: why is "the town full of p@does" chant not deemed offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Would you like everyone questioning if your wife takes it up the a@$e? Do opposing teams still chant about the ***uality of Brighton fans? Let's be honest, if you are going to be offended by chants at football matches you might as well stop going because it's not going to cease is it? Doesn't mean it's right though so maybe someone can start a Kick It Out campaign against offensive 'banter'.
    For God's sake CAM, none of your examples are anyway near as offensive as being called a peado. You might not care about the insult being thrown at you week in and week out but I do.

Banter? What about if England were playing Pakistan at cricket and all the English fans started singing "you're just a stand full of peados"? Is that acceptable?

Would you like everyone questioning if your wife takes it up the a@$e? Do opposing teams still chant about the ***uality of Brighton fans? Let's be honest, if you are going to be offended by chants at football matches you might as well stop going because it's not going to cease is it? Doesn't mean it's right though so maybe someone can start a Kick It Out campaign against offensive 'banter'.
    Also, my wife taking it up the at$e or me being with a man would both be perfectly legal as far as I am aware.

Being a peado is a crime. A disgusting crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It’s a stain that will never go away.
    Sadly, this is true. I live 4500 miles away and hardly anyone knows my team when I proudly mention them, and yet they've all heard about my town thanks to them b@st@rdss.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    For God's sake CAM, none of your examples are anyway near as offensive as being called a peado. You might not care about the insult being thrown at you week in and week out but I do.

Banter? What about if England were playing Pakistan at cricket and all the English fans started singing "you're just a stand full of peados"? Is that acceptable?
    Where did I say any of it was acceptable? I said it's not going to stop so either get used to it or don't go. The police aren't going to do anything about it so unless the opposing fans suddenly have a heart and change it to a town full of chuckles then what do you suggest is the solution because I doubt if GFs suggestion of changing the team name will work.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Norwich fans singing it at the top of their voices entering the stadium and inside the ground.

I know there are laws on offensive chants but why is this one not categorised as offensive?

There could be families of the victims of the abuse scandal in the stadium, or even the victims themselves.
    It is not unlawful per se to make offensive chants. The only law that might come close is section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which makes it an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

Are Rotherham supporters likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress by this chanting? I would think that mild irritation, boredom or indifference are more likely responses, none of which would be enough to create criminal liability.

I agree with your point about the possibility of a victim or one of their relatives hearing the chanting. One assumes that the people doing the chanting either haven’t thought about that or don’t care – they use the abuse scandal to their own ends, which is not unusual.

At the risk of sounding prissy and not defending it in any way, I would say that it’s simply the nature of a significant proportion of football supporters to behave in this way. We get the p@edo chant, people from Nottinghamshire get the scab chant, Man U still get the ‘who’s that dying on the runway’ song, Bradford get ‘you’re just a town full of p@kis’ etc.

I recall an away game at Peterborough a few seasons ago when a - ahem - ‘former leading poster on this site’ and his chums gave appalling abuse towards a fairly young female member of the Peterborough ground staff who had the misfortune to have to walk past the front of the away stand. It was shameful and I was far more concerned about that than I have ever been at the p@edo chant.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 17-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Where did I say any of it was acceptable? I said it's not going to stop so either get used to it or don't go. The police aren't going to do anything about it so unless the opposing fans suddenly have a heart and change it to a town full of chuckles then what do you suggest is the solution because I doubt if GFs suggestion of changing the team name will work.
    But if my example happened at say a cricket match it would probably be on the news. Talk sport would probably dedicate their drive time show to it talking about the vile chants and how it needs to be stamped out.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It is not unlawful per se to make offensive chants. The only law that might come close is section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which makes it an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.

Are Rotherham supporters likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress by this chanting? I would think that mild irritation, boredom or indifference are more likely responses, none of which would be enough to create criminal liability.

I agree with your point about the possibility of a victim or one of their relatives hearing the chanting. One assumes that the people doing the chanting either haven’t thought about that or don’t care – they use the abuse scandal to their own ends, which is not unusual.

At the risk of sounding prissy and not defending it in any way, I would say that it’s simply the nature of a significant proportion of football supporters to behave in this way. We get the p@edo chant, people from Nottinghamshire get the scab chant, Man U still get the ‘who’s that dying on the runway’ song, Bradford get ‘you’re just a town full of p@kis’ etc.

I recall an away game at Peterborough a few seasons ago when a - ahem - ‘former leading poster on this site’ and his chums gave appalling abuse towards a fairly young female member of the Peterborough ground staff who had the misfortune to have to walk past the front of the away stand. It was shameful and I was far more concerned about that than I have ever been at the p@edo chant.
    So are you allowed to sing "town full of p@kis"?

I remember someone being removed from a ground by the police for singing something similar.

Is anyone offended by the Semi Ajayi Rotherhams No5 song?
    Or do they join in?

Singing derogatory songs about race is a hate crime there for at the top of the police list.Singing songs about men raping children is not.

I think it says more about the people who are singing it than us.
    Yesterday on way to the ground group sang it to us YAK asked if one of them wanted to explain that to his young niece who attended with us.
    All of a sudden it was apologies and a bit of ****ting themselves which was funny tbh.

It’s a group mentality thing half of them are parents and should know better.
    Beer and pack mentality kick in unfortunately.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast