Get your very own personalised football gifts!
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Var

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,244

    Var

    I'm becoming less and less of a fan of it, tbh.

    The goal line technology is brilliant-works really quickly and is unequivocal...it either is or isn't a goal.

    Maybe for offsides, too (although the current offside rule is a load of shite) or whether a foul was inside or outside the box.

    But for the other stuff it comes down to the personal opinion of whoever is reviewing the incident. For example, we had a soft penalty awarded yesterday whilst Man U players were able to get away with full-on assaults on Wolves players in the box with no comeback from VAR at all. I know there wasn't VAR at our game but, if there had been, what's to say that the assessor wouldn't have backed Mike Dean (cunt) whereas the fella doing the Wolves game would have said 'no pen' based on what happened in their game.

    Plus there's the issue of an 'obvious' mistake (or is it a 'clear and obvious' mistake?)...decisions seems to be being reviewed after the people in the studio/booth/toilet/whatever have looked at a slow-motion version of what the match officials have seen in real-time.

    I'm beginning to think it's going to slow the game down far too much and, when decisions come down to personal opinion, defeat the purpose anyway.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxted, Surrey
    Posts
    20,786
    It's going to be like all controversial regulations. Is it decided by the letter of the law or by the spirit of the law and thus ultimately comes down to interpretation and therefor human frailties.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,998
    The only way VAR can work properly is if Fifa simplify the offside rule..
    There was never a problem with it before the 1994 world cup in the states..
    Fifa had to pander to the American public,to make SOCCER more entertaining.Since then the tinkering has never stopped and now it's impossible to officiate..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,449
    Thing what got me with yesterdays penalty was Fernandez had one arm on the shoulder of the Bournemouth player but not enough to throw him to the ground and some pundits said it was a penalty.At Wolves when Dubravka had 2 arms around his neck stopping him jump it wasn't a foul and most pundits said so.
    VAR wont clear anything up if you ask me.They are trying to use it for too many decisions.Offsides,goals and maybe to clear up obvious penalty mistakes yes,like Salah diving all the time for Liverpool,but you slow every challenge down enough and more often than not you will find contact and most idiots looking at it will find a foul.
    Other sports have brains looking at VAR and it works,we have idiots refereeing games so phuck knows the IQ of those in the VAR shed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    40,773
    I dunno - i've actually become more a fan of it over the course of the season.

    I think it def has it's uses and getting technology involved 100% isn't a bad thing as it will help iron out some factors.

    However, it does feel a bit at hte minute like the new toy a child gets that they want to play with all the time, even when they've got 4 other things out already.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,505
    For me VAR is only really valid for line violations i.e. penalty area, corners, throw in's, goal line and off side.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,348
    VAR is needed IMO Man City Robbed Swansea of a place in the Semi's yesterday with a Pen that wasn't a pen and a offside headed winner by Aguero

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Trimdon station.
    Posts
    4,020
    You know when you're hanging from something and are trying your best not to lose your grip and fall? This is what I think the powers that be are trying to do with the VAR.
    I think this is the reason why officials are taking so long to give an answer.

    VAR in its normality would be quick and generally as fair as can be but the tools have to be used by people who can use them or are willing to use them properly and we don't have that.

    Why?
    I don't think I need to spell that out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,535
    Zippity great thread man give yourself a ⭐️
    The thing that really pi55es me off about the game today is the consistency of the reffing
    We normally come out on the negative side of things
    If VAR works properly then we could easily gain 9 or 10 points a season.
    I am a big fan of the reffing system in rugby and the respect that is given to the ref
    Their video reffing works a treat

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post
    Zippity great thread man give yourself a ⭐️
    The thing that really pi55es me off about the game today is the consistency of the reffing
    We normally come out on the negative side of things
    If VAR works properly then we could easily gain 9 or 10 points a season.
    I am a big fan of the reffing system in rugby and the respect that is given to the ref
    Their video reffing works a treat
    This really...I know rugby is a different game, but the video ref simply sorts out anything the ref isn't sure on..and they always get it right...surely can't be THAT hard to copy within football!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I dunno - i've actually become more a fan of it over the course of the season.

    I think it def has it's uses and getting technology involved 100% isn't a bad thing as it will help iron out some factors.

    However, it does feel a bit at hte minute like the new toy a child gets that they want to play with all the time, even when they've got 4 other things out already.
    I am with you on this one. I reckon it will get better as time goes on. The rules may even alter so that interpretations are more consistent. It is time to move away from this you win some you lose some approach. Will also improve refs as prime madonna refs will fade away eventually.

    ps Wer Rafa wants it so it must be the right thing to do

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I dunno - i've actually become more a fan of it over the course of the season.

    I think it def has it's uses and getting technology involved 100% isn't a bad thing as it will help iron out some factors.

    However, it does feel a bit at hte minute like the new toy a child gets that they want to play with all the time, even when they've got 4 other things out already.
    This is spot on, Jammy. VAR is for the future and although it might not be perfect right now, the idea of having it makes perfect sense.

    In a world where Mike Dean can be a referee, we certainly need a system to make things fairer.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,244
    Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post

    In a world where Mike Dean can be a referee, we certainly need a system to make things fairer.
    Hughie...that is a GENIUS way of putting it!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11,309
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    This really...I know rugby is a different game, but the video ref simply sorts out anything the ref isn't sure on..and they always get it right...surely can't be THAT hard to copy within football!
    This.

    Refereeing decisions will always be someoneīs opinion, whether on VAR or not. Reviewing a decision on video can only lead to more better decisions being made, eventhough it may never be perfect, it will be better.

    The football VAR is sh*te just now and the rugby one is brilliant. Itīs not rocket science.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    This.

    Refereeing decisions will always be someoneīs opinion, whether on VAR or not. Reviewing a decision on video can only lead to more better decisions being made, eventhough it may never be perfect, it will be better.

    The football VAR is sh*te just now and the rugby one is brilliant. Itīs not rocket science.
    Rugby sorted it out & the same can happen with the Football system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •