+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Var

Var

I'm becoming less and less of a fan of it, tbh.

The goal line technology is brilliant-works really quickly and is unequivocal...it either is or isn't a goal.

Maybe for offsides, too (although the current offside rule is a load of shite) or whether a foul was inside or outside the box.

But for the other stuff it comes down to the personal opinion of whoever is reviewing the incident. For example, we had a soft penalty awarded yesterday whilst Man U players were able to get away with full-on assaults on Wolves players in the box with no comeback from VAR at all. I know there wasn't VAR at our game but, if there had been, what's to say that the assessor wouldn't have backed Mike Dean (cunt) whereas the fella doing the Wolves game would have said 'no pen' based on what happened in their game.

Plus there's the issue of an 'obvious' mistake (or is it a 'clear and obvious' mistake?)...decisions seems to be being reviewed after the people in the studio/booth/toilet/whatever have looked at a slow-motion version of what the match officials have seen in real-time.

I'm beginning to think it's going to slow the game down far too much and, when decisions come down to personal opinion, defeat the purpose anyway.

Thoughts?

It's going to be like all controversial regulations. Is it decided by the letter of the law or by the spirit of the law and thus ultimately comes down to interpretation and therefor human frailties.

The only way VAR can work properly is if Fifa simplify the offside rule..
    There was never a problem with it before the 1994 world cup in the states..
    Fifa had to pander to the American public,to make SOCCER more entertaining.Since then the tinkering has never stopped and now it's impossible to officiate..

Thing what got me with yesterdays penalty was Fernandez had one arm on the shoulder of the Bournemouth player but not enough to throw him to the ground and some pundits said it was a penalty.At Wolves when Dubravka had 2 arms around his neck stopping him jump it wasn't a foul and most pundits said so.
    VAR wont clear anything up if you ask me.They are trying to use it for too many decisions.Offsides,goals and maybe to clear up obvious penalty mistakes yes,like Salah diving all the time for Liverpool,but you slow every challenge down enough and more often than not you will find contact and most idiots looking at it will find a foul.
    Other sports have brains looking at VAR and it works,we have idiots refereeing games so phuck knows the IQ of those in the VAR shed.

I dunno - i've actually become more a fan of it over the course of the season.

I think it def has it's uses and getting technology involved 100% isn't a bad thing as it will help iron out some factors.

However, it does feel a bit at hte minute like the new toy a child gets that they want to play with all the time, even when they've got 4 other things out already.

For me VAR is only really valid for line violations i.e. penalty area, corners, throw in's, goal line and off side.

VAR is needed IMO Man City Robbed Swansea of a place in the Semi's yesterday with a Pen that wasn't a pen and a offside headed winner by Aguero

You know when you're hanging from something and are trying your best not to lose your grip and fall? This is what I think the powers that be are trying to do with the VAR.
    I think this is the reason why officials are taking so long to give an answer.

VAR in its normality would be quick and generally as fair as can be but the tools have to be used by people who can use them or are willing to use them properly and we don't have that.

Why?
    I don't think I need to spell that out.

Zippity great thread man give yourself a ⭐️
    The thing that really pi55es me off about the game today is the consistency of the reffing
    We normally come out on the negative side of things
    If VAR works properly then we could easily gain 9 or 10 points a season.
    I am a big fan of the reffing system in rugby and the respect that is given to the ref
    Their video reffing works a treat

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post
    Zippity great thread man give yourself a ⭐️
    The thing that really pi55es me off about the game today is the consistency of the reffing
    We normally come out on the negative side of things
    If VAR works properly then we could easily gain 9 or 10 points a season.
    I am a big fan of the reffing system in rugby and the respect that is given to the ref
    Their video reffing works a treat
    This really...I know rugby is a different game, but the video ref simply sorts out anything the ref isn't sure on..and they always get it right...surely can't be THAT hard to copy within football!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)