+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Saturday gate under 6k in over a year

1st Saturday gate under 6k in over a year

Remarkable, given the circumstances, that the club has gone this long without dipping below 6k for a weekend fixture until yesterday.
    Over the last 25 years, 6k would normally be among our highest of the season behind the odd 10k v Stags.

It reflects the fact that Alan Hardy did invest last summer, and with the likes of Boldewijn, Dennis, Thomas and Vaughan arriving, many people thought it was worth investing in a season ticket to watch a successful season.

Sadly, recent events suggest we couldn't afford the gamble, and they also show that Nolan's squad building and pre-season "preparations" failed badly.

What we're seeing with the gates, I suspect, is people dragging themselves along to get what value they can back on their pre-season purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It reflects the fact that Alan Hardy did invest last summer, and with the likes of Boldewijn, Dennis, Thomas and Vaughan arriving, many people thought it was worth investing in a season ticket to watch a successful season.

Sadly, recent events suggest we couldn't afford the gamble, and they also show that Nolan's squad building and pre-season "preparations" failed badly.

What we're seeing with the gates, I suspect, is people dragging themselves along to get what value they can back on their pre-season purchase.
    Exactly this. After last season's near miss and a summer of big spending, not to mention the cheaper season tickets, loads of fans who would normally go to the odd game bought in for the season. I doubt many if any of those will do so next year. We could see our average attendance halved next season - if we're lucky.

Nevertheless, the club will have picked up new fans along the way. Just going off this forum, there seems to be a fair percentage whose early experiences of watching Notts include a fair degree of suffering. I witnessed two relegations in my my first three seasons but stuck with it. If Notts wete doing well in the 5th tier, I think we could still pull in 5-6k for the half-decent Saturday fixtures and not dip below 3.5k for others. You can't fault the turn-out these days, we just need decent owners.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Nevertheless, the club will have picked up new fans along the way. Just going off this forum, there seems to be a fair percentage whose early experiences of watching Notts include a fair degree of suffering. I witnessed two relegations in my my first three seasons but stuck with it. If Notts wete doing well in the 5th tier, I think we could still pull in 5-6k for the half-decent Saturday fixtures and not dip below 3.5k for others. You can't fault the turn-out these days, we just need decent owners.
    Sad to say but I feel should we be playing in the National League next season I would be staggered if we had gates of more than 2000 for any match.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Sad to say but I feel should we be playing in the National League next season I would be staggered if we had gates of more than 2000 for any match.
    That’s quite true upthemaggies. My first 4 seasons, starting in 1955/56, were 20th/22, 20th/22, 21st/22 relegated, 23rd/24 relegated. It didn’t dilute my love of attending matches at the Lane and 64 years later I’m still suffering on a weekly basis, although I don’t attend as many away games as I used to do.

BanjoPie could be correct, although suffering from this incurable addiction, I would still attend. Who can predict what crowds we’ll get next season?

Horace Cope

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Prepare to be staggered. There is no way our home support will drop below 2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Prepare to be staggered. There is no way our home support will drop below 2,000.
    I agree. It doesn't matter what level you play at if the team scores goals and wins football matches people will come.

We have a core of 6,000 fans and they are not going to suddenly drop off the face of the Earth. Yes some may not come to watch national league games to start with but if we do well they will be back.

Besides it's all hypothetical at the moment anyway. We've got 8 games to close a 3 point back so this is far from over.

It also depends what happens between now and next season. If the takeover goes through and the owners inspire confidence, people might actually look forward to the new era. If we go into administration and start with a points deficit, it would certainly put some people off bothering.

I think your hopes of 5/6k for almost any game next season, whether we are relegated or not, is wishful thinking. At a guess, most of the new fans bought season tickets with the expectation of watching a team running away with the title and it will take a lot of persuading to get them to buy another. If relegation is our lot we may get interest at first from visiting fans wanting to see "The World's Oldest Football League Club Disaster" and from our own fans curious to see teams they have never seen before but that won't last long. If we stay up it will be a while before the fan's trust returns so I can see the numbers of season tickets sold being much fewer than this year.

If we stay up there will need to be some drastic changes both on the field and in the club's affairs in general. Obviously. If Notts are bought by an individual or a conglomerate with more financial clout than Hardy (£900m?) they will need to show they are willing to spend big chunks of lolly on new, proven players. If this happens and we sign "names" who are up to the job, and we start winning, the numbers should creep back up but it will be punters picking their games, not the old faithful buying season tickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast