+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ifs and buts.

Ifs and buts.

Having put Manchester United to the sword in the Cup, we have them again in the League just a few days before our trip to Wembley.. Our last game of the Premiership season is away at Liverpool, which in turn is only six days before the Cup final.

I know we are not in the final yet, but should we be fortunate enough to get to the final, the management will have some tough decisions to make regarding team selection. Initially does Nuno rest some players for the United game with a view to having a real crack at the FA Cup, or does a seventh place finish in the League carry more credence? Then should we make Wembley for the final, he will have the same decisions to make for the Liverpool game.

It is a long time since the club has been in this position and our small squad may well be found out..

There are a lot of ifs and buts.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Having put Manchester United to the sword in the Cup, we have them again in the League just a few days before our trip to Wembley.. Our last game of the Premiership season is away at Liverpool, which in turn is only six days before the Cup final.

I know we are not in the final yet, but should we be fortunate enough to get to the final, the management will have some tough decisions to make regarding team selection. Initially does Nuno rest some players for the United game with a view to having a real crack at the FA Cup, or does a seventh place finish in the League carry more credence? Then should we make Wembley for the final, he will have the same decisions to make for the Liverpool game.

It is a long time since the club has been in this position and our small squad may well be found out..

There are a lot of ifs and buts.
    As City will qualify for the Champions League then surely whoever makes the FA Cup final automatically gets a place in Europe? Therefore it's got to be worth prioritising the semi-final over the league game. Watford have two games to rearrange, so it's possible that they will also be playing a mid-week game and will have the same issues.

Not sure what the right choice is, but I'm just going to say that this is a good kind of problem. And I hope we continue to have these kinds of decisions in the future with continental play

I know money may not be too much of a concern to Fosun, but my understanding of FFP is that you can only spend what comes in. This of course may be incorrect. However, we appear to get considerably more for finishing seventh in the Table than nine or ten.. It would also appear to be much more than winning the FA Cup. Having said that it would be nice to win a trophy after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    I know money may not be too much of a concern to Fosun, but my understanding of FFP is that you can only spend what comes in. This of course may be incorrect. However, we appear to get considerably more for finishing seventh in the Table than nine or ten.. It would also appear to be much more than winning the FA Cup. Having said that it would be nice to win a trophy after all these years.
    It would be nice, but I don’t believe that we’re up to beating City in a Wembley final...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)