+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some Blades fans throwing the towel in already?

Some Blades fans throwing the towel in already?

Just a few posts off their site showing some are already resigning themselves to not going up. Bit early for that.
    Wouldn't mind swapping them for a season.

derfblade.3
    The worst that can happen is that we will be playing Championship football again.
    I know we want to play at the top and see Manure Liverpool and the like at the Lane but the Championship is still one of the best leagues in Europe without doubt and although we will be disappointed should we fall short, we can still look at having another go at promotion in a league that quite frankly for excitement and unpredictable results blinds the Premier League.
    Who would have bet that Norwich, Leeds and ourselves would be fighting it out for the top 2 places?
    Who at the start of the season had W Brom, Stoke, Villa and Boro to be the top dogs?
    Of course we want promotion but it's not the be all and end all is it?
    The Prem is owned by the top 6/7 clubs EVERY season so the only thing to hope for is the odd good result against the top dogs with the hope of clinging on for the next season. Excitement at a minimum compared to the Championship coupled with the real possibility of financial problems.
    It's not all that!#1derfblade.3, Today at 10:28 AM

Jim Chimmerney
    Can hear the 'Cod Army' roar from his back garden
    I agree to a certain extent that the Prem is possibly more exciting getting there than when you're actually there but from our point of view, this Summer will all be about internal politics and Tufty's (and potentially some of the players) ambition if we don't make it.

Gimli
    We could look at Cardiff and expect something similar IF we went up...

Staying in the Championship isn’t the worst thing ever, but wanting to win promotion is about the here and now. We should want to win, and think about next season when that actually comes around.

blade too long
    derby kings
    We lost one home game
    Leeds lost their previous 2

Boy we like to admit defeat here

If we don't go up . .paah, no big loss
    Save the hundreds of we need to spend 200m to stay up threads and which 24 players do.we need threads

Tom Bott
    Joinedct 27, 2017
    Having watched the **** deal that Cardiff were 'awarded' by the officials yesterday against Chelsea things have not changed much since we had a penalty awarded against us for ' intent to foul'.

1danewhitehouse
    Worst case scenario. We don't go up, Wilder moves on as do O'Connell & Fleck whilst Madine, Dowell and Henderson go back to their parent clubs. McCabe decides he needs a name manager again and appoints Schteve MclareM after QPR sack him. He does a **** job of rebuilding the squad and we go hurtling towards relegation. Meanwhile, pigs continue to improve under Bruce and sneak up to the prem.

That's the worst case. Best case, we go up, leave the pigs behind in this league, they fall foul of FFP and find themselves in relegation trouble whilst Wilder establishes us in the middle of the prem like Watford and Bournemouth. We rule the city for many more years to come.

Sheffsteel
    derfblade.3 said: ↑

True and I agree the Championship is a great league with plenty of big matches but it would feel like a lost opportunity.

We’ve been on a progressive upward curve for 3 consecutive years but it can’t continue for ever.
    You’d feel that if we stayed in the Championship next season our progression would level out in to being a regular top half club.

SwissBlade
    I really have no interest in the premier league and I don’t really want us to be there. Last time we were there I went to fewer games than I did League 1.

But right now we have to go for it. Missing promotion from the positions we’ve been in most of the season would be a pity.

So we have to go for it, the party will be fantastic like when we came up from league 1

ChemEngBlade
    If we were to not go up then I'd expect heavy competition for O'Connell from other clubs, same with Fleck albeit not as bad. Possibly same with Norwood although I imagine it'd take some big offer to drag him away seeing as he's only just become a permanent Blade. Maybe even a cheeky offer for Sharp from a low-end Prem club, which would get turned away. Hendo is a tough one, I think he loves the club but can expect a low-mid Prem club to try to persuade him to go there on a season-long loan and may even be the best choice for him to get that higher level experience.

Nicolaus_Copernicus
    Joinedec 31, 2017
    1danewhitehouse said: ↑

As i've mentioned previously, the elephant in the room is that we have 8 players who are 30 or more, and within that number, 5 will be 32 or older by September next year. 3 of the eldest will be Sharp, Clarke and Duffy. Getting promoted, no matter what the season then held, would allow us to bring in fresh blood in areas of the team which are usually the most expensive to fill.

sitwell
    Big member
    1danewhitehouse said: ↑
    Worst case scenario. We don't go up, Wilder moves on as do O'Connell & Fleck whilst Madine, Dowell and Henderson go back to their parent clubs. McCabe decides he needs a name manager again and appoints Schteve MclareM after QPR sack him. He does a **** job of rebuilding the squad and we go hurtling towards relegation. Meanwhile, pigs continue to improve under Bruce and sneak up to the prem.

That's the worst case. Best case, we go up, leave the pigs behind in this league, they fall foul of FFP and find themselves in relegation trouble whilst Wilder establishes us in the middle of the prem like Watford and Bournemouth. We rule the city for many more years to come.
    Is that Fleck and Oconnell that have just committed themselves to Utd with new contracts ?

Ricky
    sitwell said: ↑
    Is that Fleck and Oconnell that have just committed themselves to Utd with new contracts ?
    So did Brooks about 8 months before he was given away.

Jim Chimmerney
    Jim Chimmerney
    Can hear the 'Cod Army' roar from his back garden
    IF we don't go up, IF Tufty stays, IF the main players remain and IF he gets funds then the likelihood is we would be in for the likes of Madine, Hogan, Dowell so arguably, the squad we have now is the squad for next season so let's see how it goes

Not sure what my point was, is, hang on....................
    #16Jim Chimmerney, Today at 11:19 AM
    gleadlessblades
    gleadlessblades
    A lot would depend on who runs the football club and how much they want to invest. If there's not too much money knocking about id fully expect Wilder to leave summer (or early in the season when a burnley, leeds et al sack a manager). Id expect JOC to go, Fleck probably. Could see Enda / Baldock moving onto other championship clubs at some point. The worst thing about it will be a new manager will play a different style of football, and that gung ho fast flowing overlapping CB's we saw more in the first half of the season rather than the second half ,will be replaced with a bit of blandness like a lot of clubs. Inevitably some of the older guard will be slowly ushered to the exit door and then you have one of those squads thats a bit imbalanced.

Positives though, at least we wont have to have the loyalty point arguments and it'll be easier to go for a piss at half time, so you know you win some you lose some!

Fulwood Blade
    derfblade.3 said: ↑
    The worst that can happen is that we will be playing Championship football again.

UTB
    #18Fulwood Blade, Today at 11:21 AM
    Fulwood Blade
    Fulwood Blade
    blade too long said: ↑
    Boy we like to admit defeat here
    Indeed - we have some real manic depressives.

UT B
    #19Fulwood Blade, Today at 11:22 AM
    BLADES1988
    BLADES1988
    If we don't go up its shoes off int it?

They won’t go up by Wembley so I can see where they’re coming from

a blades season ticket holder at work thinks they are always going to lose every game.
    He admitted he's felt that way for the whole of this season too.

Remember when they lost their fa cup tie at home to Barnet.....he didn't speak to anyone at work for a week lol

My Blades mate is currently in New York with his Son. On Saturday I got loads of WhatsApp messages from him reminding me of our score at Derby as the goals went in. I merely replied that their score was 1-1 at the time and left it at that as he informed me he was watching his match live via a stream shown in a bar.

I received yet more messages throughout the afternoon right up to the 6th goal going in. I took it all in good banter.

At full time he rammed it home how we had been THRASHED. I therefore replied how shocked I was to see that the blades had lost at home to Bristol City......funny but he never replied and hasn't since. Fickle bunch aren't they