+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midfield

[QUOTE=DelroyFacey22;39175124]Jayden Stockley, signed for Preston so I'd be quite surprised if he played for Exeter on Saturday

Vaughan is a waste of space, as someone else suggested I'd replace him with the tea lady if needed.

I don't think O'Brien will be fit yet, wouldn't play Vaughan, Hewitt is injured, Husin is on international duty, Crawford is out on loan, that leaves us with Patching, who arrived with a lot of hype but not sure he actually touched the ball after coming on or Andy Kellett, who is much more of a number 10 than a centre mid but could work well enough.

Kellett also still injured I heard on Saturday. Patching played a good ball through once after he came on - but he wasn't given enough time to have an impact

I think it's between Patching and Kellett, if Kellett isn't fit then Patching wins by default, I'd be gutted but not too surprised if Ardely picks Vaughan again.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Osborne first touch on Saturday, a through ball to CMS down the channel was probably the most penetrating ball from midfield we played all game and he actually looks like he’s up for it so if JOB not fit play him over Vaughan, in fact I’d give Colin Slater a run out before Vaughan!
    Osborne did not play on Saturday and never seems to get picked, the through ball was from Patching who did more in his few minutes than Vaughan did in 80 minutes. Hope he does not pick Vaughan against Exeter as we need to win this match and cannot accommodate some one who always passes back.

O'Brian and Doyle. Allessandra ahead of them. Don't give up on him, I saw him have a storming game in exactly this position at MK Dons.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    Osborne did not play on Saturday and never seems to get picked, the through ball was from Patching who did more in his few minutes than Vaughan did in 80 minutes. Hope he does not pick Vaughan against Exeter as we need to win this match and cannot accommodate some one who always passes back.
    Sorry, not sure where I got Osborne from, of course I meant Patching, having a bad day

O'Brien is crucial. We can't get any combination to make a decent midfield without him.
    I'd also play Enzio with Hemmings as a pair. Draws will relegate us, we need to win.
    Defence the same as Saturday.

Alless, O'Brien, Rose, CMS
    Boudwijn, Hemmings

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Sorry, not sure where I got Osborne from, of course I meant Patching, having a bad day
    I can only assume Osborne is injured, given that he's the top scorer in the under-23s and should be getting on the bench at least. Etete got on the bench against Carlisle, but was nowhere to be seen on Saturday again.

Out of Vaughan, Doyle and O'Brien, the latter is the only one who's looking to go forward. Doyle and Vaughan are more concerned with retaining possession, but play safe passes that never hurt the opposition (and often go backward). O'Brien may give the ball away more, but that's because he's trying to play through the lines. He also looks to link up with the forwards (like he did at Carlisle, where was occasionally the furthest forward). Will be a a big loss if he's missing again next Saturday, as we don't have anyone who can adequately replace him.

I'd be tempted to give Patching a start if O'Brien is unfit, in place of Vaughan. He was disappointing earlier this season when he got his chance, but he's scored some nice free kicks for the under-23s. And his set pieces really cannot be any worse than Doyle's.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I can only assume Osborne is injured, given that he's the top scorer in the under-23s and should be getting on the bench at least. Etete got on the bench against Carlisle, but was nowhere to be seen on Saturday again.

Out of Vaughan, Doyle and O'Brien, the latter is the only one who's looking to go forward. Doyle and Vaughan are more concerned with retaining possession, but play safe passes that never hurt the opposition (and often go backward). O'Brien may give the ball away more, but that's because he's trying to play through the lines. He also looks to link up with the forwards (like he did at Carlisle, where was occasionally the furthest forward). Will be a a big loss if he's missing again next Saturday, as we don't have anyone who can adequately replace him.

I'd be tempted to give Patching a start if O'Brien is unfit, in place of Vaughan. He was disappointing earlier this season when he got his chance, but he's scored some nice free kicks for the under-23s. And his set pieces really cannot be any worse than Doyle's.
    I don't think Doyle only passes sideways, he quite often slides neat vertical passes into the strikers' feet.

Agree about Patching though, and set pieces.

Personally thought Vaughan was scapegoated on Saturday. He was poor, but IMO no worse than the other four in midfield - none of whom performed.

That said I think we need one of the three in the middle to be more advanced/attack-minded at home, so I would drop him here (even if JOB is fit as I wouldn’t consider him an attacking midfielder). Issue is who comes in as the attacking mid; CMS has been a disaster in his last two apps so for me doesn’t deserve to start. As others have said above, Kellett could be the solution (he was great in the two home games around Christmas) but seems to have vanished again. With Hewitt also injured, I’d give Patching a go, tell him to push close to Hemmings and take all set-pieces. It’s small margins at this point so having someone who can take a good corner/free-kick could make all the difference.

Keep Tootle in too - the back four individually and collectively was as good as it’s been all season on Saturday - and do NOT under any circumstances bring Stead back into the team and go 4-4-2, which would see us overrun.

Schofield
    Tootle Stubbs Duffy Milsom
    O’Brien (Rose if not fit) Doyle
    Alessandra Patching/Kellett Enzio
    Hemmings

Subs: Fitzsimons, Brisley, Barclay, Vaughan, CMS, Stead, Gomis.

It wasn't so much Vaughan passing backwards that annoyed me, he put the ball straight out of play at least three times. I'm not one that moans when someone makes a back pass and we keep the ball like a lot in the Pavis were doing and shouting "gerrit forward" before we pump aimless balls up that just come straight back at us. I just thought he was genuinely sh*t, the pass to Enzio, which any professional footballer should be able to make, was the only good thing he did all game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12