Get your very own personalised Duke's Bar gifts!
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: ITV now...Out of their skin...Ian Wright on black footballers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26,501

    ITV now...Out of their skin...Ian Wright on black footballers

    Ian Wright running the rule on black players being accepted/denied into the English game in the 70's.


    Pretty degrading on reflection.


    NB. My apologies as the opening title should read black players.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 18-03-2019 at 11:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Ian Wright running the rule on black players being accepted/denied into the English game in the 70's.


    Pretty degrading on reflection.


    NB. My apologies as the opening title should read black players.

    Thereís so many of these type of programs that they now have a big yawn factor

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26,501
    Grist seriously? Come on fella this was racism at itís worse.

    It even showed George Kerr with Andy ? Who said he just got on with the job. Yes even our lot were a nasty racist bunch!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Grist seriously? Come on fella this was racism at itís worse.

    It even showed George Kerr with Andy ? Who said he just got on with the job. Yes even our lot were a nasty racist bunch!
    Yes I'm sure it was all disgraceful. My point was that there are loads of similar programs about racism on the tv and so you're listening to the same song repeated and repeated.

    Why is Wright doing it now?

    Smacks of easy tv and bandwagon for the tv production company and cash for Wright.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    12,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes I'm sure it was all disgraceful. My point was that there are loads of similar programs about racism on the tv and so you're listening to the same song repeated and repeated.

    Why is Wright doing it now?

    Smacks of easy tv and bandwagon for the tv production company and cash for Wright.
    Ian Wright was a victim too , I fully remember the racist abuse he received playing for Arsenal at Oakwell during a league cup tie in 1995 , it made all the papers at the time , it really was absolutely shocking .

    Very well placed to present the programme on this issue in my opinion given he's a tv man and presented a number of shows over the years .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    33,039
    I watched it recently and fully enjoyed it.

    The black footballers still get abuse but it's no where near to what it was back then. Anything that sets someone apart is going to get some sort of abuse. It is no wonder that there isn't openly gay footballers in todays game yet society on te whole have accepted them. Still a few bigots though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes I'm sure it was all disgraceful. My point was that there are loads of similar programs about racism on the tv and so you're listening to the same song repeated and repeated.

    Why is Wright doing it now?

    Smacks of easy tv and bandwagon for the tv production company and cash for Wright.
    My advice to you regarding this programme is not to watch it. No need to complain about it.
    Thereís millions of channels. Iím sure youíll find Love Thy Neighbour on one of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    26,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    My advice to you regarding this programme is not to watch it. No need to complain about it.
    There’s millions of channels. I’m sure you’ll find Love Thy Neighbour on one of them.
    Heh honky what you saying?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,963
    Iíve just seen the 1st two episodes, thought it was absorbing. I watched football in that era and didnít notice the racism.
    Watching it now with hindsight as left me gobsmacked!

    I collect comedy box sets and got Love thy neighbour box set for Christmas and itís embarrassing viewing. Itís cring a minute every time Jack Smethurst opened his mouth.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,514
    Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Anything that sets someone apart is going to get some sort of abuse.
    A perceptive observation. It's a myth that bullies are unpopular; most people in my experience happily side with the strong against the weak.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    33,039
    Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    A perceptive observation. It's a myth that bullies are unpopular; most people in my experience happily side with the strong against the weak.
    I would agree 100% with that.

    What is a bully these days? It seems to have changed in the same way that if someone who is upset by something and retaliates is called a snowflake..

    Social media has changed the perspective of what was the traditional bully. Anyone can be one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •