+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITV now...Out of their skin...Ian Wright on black footballers

ITV now...Out of their skin...Ian Wright on black footballers

Ian Wright running the rule on black players being accepted/denied into the English game in the 70's.

Pretty degrading on reflection.

NB. My apologies as the opening title should read black players.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 19-03-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Ian Wright running the rule on black players being accepted/denied into the English game in the 70's.

Pretty degrading on reflection.

NB. My apologies as the opening title should read black players.

There’s so many of these type of programs that they now have a big yawn factor

Grist seriously? Come on fella this was racism at it’s worse.

It even showed George Kerr with Andy ? Who said he just got on with the job. Yes even our lot were a nasty racist bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Grist seriously? Come on fella this was racism at it’s worse.

It even showed George Kerr with Andy ? Who said he just got on with the job. Yes even our lot were a nasty racist bunch!
    Yes I'm sure it was all disgraceful. My point was that there are loads of similar programs about racism on the tv and so you're listening to the same song repeated and repeated.

Why is Wright doing it now?

Smacks of easy tv and bandwagon for the tv production company and cash for Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes I'm sure it was all disgraceful. My point was that there are loads of similar programs about racism on the tv and so you're listening to the same song repeated and repeated.

Smacks of easy tv and bandwagon for the tv production company and cash for Wright.
    Ian Wright was a victim too , I fully remember the racist abuse he received playing for Arsenal at Oakwell during a league cup tie in 1995 , it made all the papers at the time , it really was absolutely shocking .

Very well placed to present the programme on this issue in my opinion given he's a tv man and presented a number of shows over the years .

I watched it recently and fully enjoyed it.

The black footballers still get abuse but it's no where near to what it was back then. Anything that sets someone apart is going to get some sort of abuse. It is no wonder that there isn't openly gay footballers in todays game yet society on te whole have accepted them. Still a few bigots though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

My advice to you regarding this programme is not to watch it. No need to complain about it.
    There’s millions of channels. I’m sure you’ll find Love Thy Neighbour on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    My advice to you regarding this programme is not to watch it. No need to complain about it.
    There’s millions of channels. I’m sure you’ll find Love Thy Neighbour on one of them.
    Heh honky what you saying?

I’ve just seen the 1st two episodes, thought it was absorbing. I watched football in that era and didn’t notice the racism.
    Watching it now with hindsight as left me gobsmacked!

I collect comedy box sets and got Love thy neighbour box set for Christmas and it’s embarrassing viewing. It’s cring a minute every time Jack Smethurst opened his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Anything that sets someone apart is going to get some sort of abuse.
    A perceptive observation. It's a myth that bullies are unpopular; most people in my experience happily side with the strong against the weak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast