+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19.3.91

Not only was 19.3.91 famous for being a palindrome - it was also the day that we beat Morton on the way to Hampden.

Possibly the hardest game of our cup run.

Thanks for that, great memories. I was fortunate enough to attend every game in the cup run. Once in a lifetime experience if you are a 'well fan, unfortunately!

Almost 30 years ago now, that's truly depressing. The stars really aligned for us that year and I doubt we'll ever see it again, I'm just glad that it happened in my lifetime and that I have memories of it because although I reckon/hope that I've got another 40 years in me yet, I don't think I'll ever see Motherwell winning another major trophy.

I reckon you'll see another. Just one, mind.

It was 40 year gap between 91 and the cup win before that. I said at the time we wouldn't have to wait that long again. I can talk some p***

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I reckon you'll see another. Just one, mind.
    I'd take just one more tbh. It is my biggest wish in football to see Motherwell win another trophy and, perhaps more especially, for my Dad to see us win another trophy. We will never win the league, that's a practical impossibility, but the two domestic cups give us our best chance of glory and every single year I hope that "this year we'll do it" but needless to say, it never happens. It's hugely frustrating that our last four finals have been against Celtic (three times and twice whilst a really good side) and Rangers(EBT boosted and Murray backed), whilst the likes of Hearts have had Gretna and Hibs; Aberdeen have had Dundee and ICT; Killie and ICT have had Falkirk. We just don't get that luck when it comes to finals and on the odd occasion where we do get a favourable draw, we royally screw it up.

Quite - I reckon for the non-OF teams luck is a bigger factor than ability, both in the draw and minor details of games, when it comes to winning cups. Countless dross has made finals while good teams lose one game and don't... nature of the beast. Partly we've blown it, when we've been good we've been lacking luck. But in another 80 tries we'll hit the right combination...once.

We've definitely had a combination of bad luck and an ability to bottle it when the odds are in our favour.

We have been unlucky, especially of late but also over time, that we regularly draw top flight sides and usually away from home and with the exception of last season, we never win those types of games. Indeed before we beat Ross County in last season's League Cup, our previous Cup match win against a top flight side was away back in 2011.

On the other hand we have been prone to choke when we have had favourable draws, even at times when we have had a good team. Take McCall's team of 2011 to 2013. In that time we were flying high in the league but exited Cups to newly formed Rangers who were in the lowest league in Scotland and had a team full of kids and journeymen and twice to pre-McInnes Aberdeen who couldn't buy a win against us in the league. And under McGhee first time around when we had a really good side we exited the Scottish Cup at home to first Division Dundee.

As I said I would absolutely love to see us win a major trophy as nothing would beat the feeling of tangible success and having that day out at Hampden and seeing the Cup decorated in Claret & Amber. It would certainly trump 'celebrating' qualifying for the Prelim rounds of the Europa League or, in the case of some of our support, 'celebrating' a 6-6 draw with a poor Hibs side or a 5-6 defeat to the worst Aberdeen side in history.

Easier said than done lads I know, but we need to keep the faith! IF we can keep the likes of Turnbull, Hastie, Campbell, etc, and other young guns in the wings make the grade we just could be on to something.
    Come
    On
    Ye
    Weans
    !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)