+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What's broken about football...

What's broken about football...

...and how can we fix it?

Diving, for one. Doesn't matter where it came from or who does it the most...fact is it's absolutely endemic in the game and the worse it gets, the closer it comes to making the game as a fair contest a thing of the past.

To fix it? I honestly don't know. if they were serious about getting rid of it, there would be proper retrospective action taken but look at some of the blatant dives that have been ignored...like Salah's against us. Problem is, when you've got moronic statements from ex players saying 'ah, but there was contact' or ''he touched him so he gave the ref a decision to make'...then the FA-and sections of the arse-licking media- are always going to err on the side of caution, especially where their darling big six are concerned.

TV in charge of fixtures. Aye, there's a balance to be had. The money that tv has put into the game has seen football now almost unrecognisable from the game of, say, 25/30 years ago -and much of that change has been good...but fans are at the bottom of the list (real fans, i.e. not the '39th game' bunch) when it comes to scheduling or rescheduling matches (Monday nights hundreds of miles away after the last train has gone, Sunday games at the opposite end of the country with noon kick-offs, etc)

Don't think that can be fixed, tbh. That horse has not only bolted from the stable but has been boiled down for glue and the stable has been converted into flats for hipsters.

Any more? shit refs, obscene wages...

Diving is up there for me.

But ****ing inconsistence reffing performances, or not even the performances but how the same ref can give one thing, then same thing not given - yes i'm thinking Mike Dean on this occasion but it's not just him.

To fix it - VAR i think will help, given time but i think a complete fix is impossible sadly.

Money and its evil is what's broken about all sport, not just football.
    The game can never be fair unless it gets back to brass tacks.

Most that's been said above but the anomalies of the standards of the officials mainly. With all of the help and improved training and experience they are supposed to have since say before the Prem began more than a quarter of a century ago the standards are disgusting.

Being biased I know but compare some of the decisions against us season on season against some of the obvious "blind eye decisions" shown in favour of the big clubs, as said in posts above about blatant diving, particularly by big monied stars of the top clubs.

It would soon stop if proved beyond doubt by T.V. evidence, a five match ban was to follow and better still a rule of points deduction for any gain from diving against the diving player's club.

You can blame many things but for me Too much money is at the top of the list and sh!t owners a close second.

The standard of refereeing.

Once the authorities get their fingers out their a*ses, itīll be VAR to the rescue.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)