+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: TeamTalk - Ian McParland

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yes, I was there and loved every minute, it's a game I'll never forget seeing the full Sirrel stand less than half full by the final whistle. Even though I was never convinced by Munto, I was certainly convinced by that team. It was clear we were a class above any other team in the division, and promotion should have been a formality. It did become a formality once we got rid of McParland. Seeing as you mention one particular game, I'll do the same even though it's a game we didn't lose. I still have vivid memories of when we played at home to Torquay on a Sunday for the TV cameras. Torquay were relegation fodder and we soon went 2-0 up. They pulled one back and started hurling long balls into the box in desperation. We badly needed a change in tactics to negate this, but McParland just stood leaning against the dugout with his arms folded. He did absolutely nothing, and they equalised late on. I remember being totally depressed on the way home thinking we had by far the best squad in the division, but were being held back by a clueless manager. I was elated to wake up the following day to hear he had been given the boot, and the rest is history. Once we eventually had competent management in place, we won the league by 10 points.

Anyway, is one game against Bradford really the best you can come up with? Remember, I'm asking for a list of his managerial qualities.
    He was a good player - I remember a great performance of his against Man U. in the top flight - and in comparison to many since an ok manager. He certainly deserves respect but not to be the gaffer again.

The problem with Charlie is that he was judged on the previous season, but with the crap he inherited and no money, he did a very good job. However, he was another manager that didn't seem to have a plan 'B' (this must be a requirement for a Notts manager) and this was frustrating.

Now, the Munto season was when he had some money to spend, but most of the squad was assembled before the takeover and that showed that McP did have some qualities to become a good manager as far as recruitment was concerned.

His sacking when in 4th place and only 4 points from 1st was harsh and then the other managers we had, untill Cotterill was appointed, had Notts dropping down the table. So on that basis, it showed that McP should have been given more time.

Given what has happened this season, then I would gladly have him back as a coach at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Given what has happened this season, then I would gladly have him back as a coach at least.
    I wouldn't have him back even as bog cleaner. So let's dicuss this supremely talented bloke's managerial career after we gave him the boot.

Oops, I forgot. He didn't have one.

I wouldn't have him back even as bog cleaner. So let's dicuss this supremely talented bloke's managerial career after we gave him the boot.

So what is the point you are making there? So what if he has not managed again since. Redknapp hasn't managed since his last sacking (Birmingham I think), so does that make him a bad manager? Would you not like to see Harry as Notts manager then?
    McP was a good coach and with the way our coaching team have gone this season, then I would gladly have him back in that role as proven this season our coaching team have not got a clue.

And look at his manager stats. They are not that bad.

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/ian-mcparland/

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    You are funny Elite I commented on that season (remember we discussed Bradford & Torquay games) because you asked me too - it’s not my fault that you don’t like facts.
    I love facts, so here are a few for you and MiG to digest:

Steve Thompson - win ratio 32.3%, average points per game 1.26
    Ian McParland - win ratio 27.2%, average points per game 1.17

That includes the free gift McParland was given with the Munto squad, and even with that he was still inferior to Steve Thompson!

So what is the point you are making there? So what if he has not managed again since. Redknapp hasn't managed since his last sacking (Birmingham I think), so does that make him a bad manager? Would you not like to see Harry as Notts manager then?
    McP was a good coach and with the way our coaching team have gone this season, then I would gladly have him back in that role as proven this season our coaching team have not got a clue.
    Give over! The reference to Harry R is just about as incredulous - unless we have a limitless budget, some world class stars and an endless supply of jam roly poly, he'd be as much use a chocolate tea pot in this league. Having a laugh with a group of over weight has beens is about his limit now.

The fact that Hardy sought advice from HR when he took over still makes me smile - ask Harry's former clubs what his legacy for them has been!

And look at his manager stats. They are not that bad.

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/ian-mcparland/
    A win ratio for us of 27.18% is "not that bad"???

You must have very low standards.

I love facts, so here are a few for you and MiG to digest:

Steve Thompson - win ratio 32.3%, average points per game 1.26
    Ian McParland - win ratio 27.2%, average points per game 1.17

That includes the free gift McParland was given with the Munto squad, and even with that he was still inferior to Steve Thompson!
    Where have I mentioned Steve Thompson?

Like it has been pointed out, McP assembled most of the squad way before the Munto takeover.

So again, you are trying to be clever but your point is not valid as we are not comparing Thompson against McP, we are not talking about how much money he had to spend, we are talking about his recruitment, and his coaching skills and they are way better than you give him credit for

No they aren't!

He remains one of the poorest managers we have ever had, plus, his eminent coaching skills are sought all over the country........ oh, maybe not.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast