+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TeamTalk - Ian McParland

TeamTalk - Ian McParland

Reckons he saved Notts from relegation, from what I saw he was the person that put us there. I’ll never forget him sloping off down the tunnel after the final whistle while the players did the most embarrassing lap
    of honour ever.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Reckons he saved Notts from relegation, from what I saw he was the person that put us there. I’ll never forget him sloping off down the tunnel after the final whistle while the players did the most embarrassing lap
    of honour ever.

I remember it was called the 'Lap of shame'. Thommo, as much as we disliked him did a whole lot better with a similar budget, better than Ardley is doing, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I remember it was called the 'Lap of shame'. Thommo, as much as we disliked him did a whole lot better with a similar budget, better than Ardley is doing, actually.
    Why did we dislike Thommo? I get that he was associated with Murphy and managed us briefly after he was sacked, but what did he really do wrong? The second time around, he got us to a solid mid-table finish and a decent cup run, despite having a fraction of the budget that we have today. On top of that, he was a no-nonsense kind of guy, and pretty funny to boot. I quite liked him. Sure, the mid 00s were grim, but at least we actually overachieved for once under him.

We would have been 21st (only above 22nd on goal difference) if not for Bournemouth (17) and Luton (30) being deducted points, McParland was and always will be a terrible manager.

Michael Johnson, who followed behind the rest of the players thankfully, was the only player that season that deserved a lap of honour.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    We would have been 21st (only above 22nd on goal difference) if not for Bournemouth (17) and Luton (30) being deducted points, McParland was and always will be a terrible manager.

Michael Johnson, who followed behind the rest of the players thankfully, was the only player that season that deserved a lap of honour.
    A truly awful season. We lost home and away to Chester, home to Luton, away at Wrexham towards the end of the season all who were ultimately relegated. Grimsby too played us at Meadow Lane needing to win and beat s 2-0. Highlight of the season was a hat trick on debut for Jonathon Forte in a 4-0 away win at Barnet. We were swiftly bought back down to earth with a crushing 6-1 defeat at the mighty Dagenham & Redbridge who were playing a young scrawny unknown left full back named Matt Ritchie. That season goes down as one of the worst I have experienced as a Nots fan.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Why did we dislike Thommo? I get that he was associated with Murphy and managed us briefly after he was sacked, but what did he really do wrong? The second time around, he got us to a solid mid-table finish and a decent cup run, despite having a fraction of the budget that we have today. On top of that, he was a no-nonsense kind of guy, and pretty funny to boot. I quite liked him. Sure, the mid 00s were grim, but at least we actually overachieved for once under him.

I also liked Thommo. He produced what many on here say they want, every time we are in trouble and then bay like wolves to be rid of, when we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    A truly awful season. We lost home and away to Chester, home to Luton, away at Wrexham towards the end of the season all who were ultimately relegated. Grimsby too played us at Meadow Lane needing to win and beat s 2-0. Highlight of the season was a hat trick on debut for Jonathon Forte in a 4-0 away win at Barnet. We were swiftly bought back down to earth with a crushing 6-1 defeat at the mighty Dagenham & Redbridge who were playing a young scrawny unknown left full back named Matt Ritchie. That season goes down as one of the worst I have experienced as a Nots fan.
    I remember taking the p iss out of Matt Richie at that game, just before he scored. Great chips though!

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    Luton were relegated but without the deduction they were safely mid table so it's not too shocking of a loss to be fair but yeah, we were awful, the football was awful, the crowds were awful and I think had it not been for Munto we would have either gone down the next season or not even started it.

Quote Originally Posted by magicianpie View Post
    I remember taking the p iss out of Matt Richie at that game, just before he scored. Great chips though!
    It was bloody freezing though and I only had my Notts shirt on! Myles Weston came and sat in the stand with us.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post

Richard Butcher deserved a lap of honour. His goals and Johnson's defending were the reasons we survived.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast