+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: TeamTalk - Ian McParland

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Try and forget it's me who is asking the question. It's a public messageboard so I'm sure others would like to see your list.

If you don't provide your list people will draw their own conclusion as to why. What are you scared of?
    I am happy to put my head above the parapet Elite and am also quite happy to accept I am sometimes wrong (something you should try sometimes).

Yes I am a supporter of Ian and yes that view is criticised by you and by people whose view I respect like Pies4U but that doesn't mean I should change my mind.

You replied when I said that the Bradford game was one of the best I had ever seen and I quote you

"In which case you have to look at the season overall rather than individual games to make a rational judgement. That rational judgement can only conclude that McParland was an abject failure".

You asked me to look at that season so lets look and there are far better stats people than me out there but wasn't Ian's League 2 win performance during his 2009/10 season before he was sacked around 50% ?

Yes abject failure.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    I am happy to put my head above the parapet Elite and am also quite happy to accept I am sometimes wrong (something you should try sometimes).

Yes I am a supporter of Ian and yes that view is criticised by you and by people whose view I respect like Pies4U but that doesn't mean I should change my mind.

You replied when I said that the Bradford game was one of the best I had ever seen and I quote you

"In which case you have to look at the season overall rather than individual games to make a rational judgement. That rational judgement can only conclude that McParland was an abject failure".

You asked me to look at that season so lets look and there are far better stats people than me out there but wasn't Ian's League 2 win performance during his 2009/10 season before he was sacked around 50% ?

Yes abject failure.
    Well said Forward but you must remember Elite is such a knowledgeable character on the club!

In which case you have to look at the season overall rather than individual games to make a rational judgement. That rational judgement can only conclude that McParland was an abject failure.

Please feel free to prove me wrong by listing his managerial successes at other clubs. FFS, even Fullarton got a second chance!
    Abject failure? Well here are the facts. McParland sacked in October 2010, 12 games into the season. Played 12, Won 6, Drew 3, Lost 3, Goals for 29, Against 12, points 21. A 50% win rate. If that's abject failure what does that make the next god knows how many managers? Ah yes he signed Lee Hughes 33 goals amongst other excellent players.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    Abject failure? Well here are the facts. McParland sacked in October 2010, 12 games into the season. Played 12, Won 6, Drew 3, Lost 3, Goals for 29, Against 12, points 21. A 50% win rate. If that's abject failure what does that make the next god knows how many managers? Ah yes he signed Lee Hughes 33 goals amongst other excellent players.
    I do think Ian McParland is somewhat harshly judged by some fans for his time in his managerial role at the club.

We have to remember where the club was when he first came in. We also have to remember it was under the supporters trust ownership and there was no money.

Also the youth academy had been shut down and he got that set up and going again.

Look at the side that stayed up back in 2007 under IMcP and compare it with this years team. It could be argued that he did a good job keeping the club in the football league as it did not have anything near the supposed quality that this years side. Neither had we spent anywhere near the amount of money on players. It was a team built on a shoestring.

Thank goodness for Richard Butchers goals (god rest his soul) Mike Edwards and Michael Johnson’s defending which kept us in the league by the skin of our teeth.

The summer of 2009 saw a philosophy whereby leaders and captains were signed by Ian Mcparland.

The Bradford home game on the opening day of the season was the best ever game I have ever watched in my 25 years as a Notts fan. It was pure champagne football and an absolute delight to watch. Pass and move and effective ruthless football. Although he did not see it through it turned out in the end that Ian Mcparland had built the foundations of a fantastic promotion winning team. That cannot and should not be understated nor be dismissed as luck. There comes a point where this should be acknowledged that he was responsible for creating that side.

Money does not guarantee success as this season has perfectly demonstrated and does for many clubs up and down the land. If anything it only emphasis more to me what Ian McParland buit was good, a very very good side.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    He had a vision for the club, He's an excellent coach (He proved that at Forest), He assembled the best group of players we have seen in 10 years (Lee Hughes, Matt Ritchie etc who we could have bought for 150k), He actually cares for the club he was trying to build, He was trying to play decent football (yes the Bradford game was the best I have seen in many years), the club was moving forward until the crooks of Munto came in and shafted him. We have never recovered since with the odious, inept owners that have ruined our club. Is that enough for you Elite?
    Right, so he was good with Munto money. Remember that Munto team won the division by 10 clear points. Where did McParland get us to in the table? What about his other two seasons where all he could manage was 21st out of 24? And don't forget the two FA Cup defeats to non-league teams despite getting a home draw. Abject failure is an accurate description.

Right, so he was good with Munto money. Remember that Munto team won the division by 10 clear points. Where did McParland get us to in the table? What about his other two seasons where all he could manage was 21st out of 24? And don't forget the two FA Cup defeats to non-league teams despite getting a home draw. Abject failure is an accurate description.
    You keep believing Elite - you asked for the facts from that season but don’t like the truth.
    This was a totally new team and we usually give the team time to gel (see the start to this season) but Ian hit the ground running.

As I said try accepting sometimes even Elite is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    You keep believing Elite - you asked for the facts from that season but don’t like the truth.
    This was a totally new team and we usually give the team time to gel (see the start to this season) but Ian hit the ground running.

As I said try accepting sometimes even Elite is wrong.
    You seem determined to judge him solely on a few Munto games, where he had by far the best squad in the league but still didn't get us in the promotion places. Would you care to comment on his previous two seasons?

You seem determined to judge him solely on a few Munto games, where he had by far the best squad in the league but still didn't get us in the promotion places. Would you care to comment on his previous two seasons?
    You are funny Elite I commented on that season (remember we discussed Bradford & Torquay games) because you asked me too - it’s not my fault that you don’t like facts.

His previous season and a half were not good does that help you, but we were discussing how he managed during the start of the 2009/10 season and abject failure is frankly ludicrous but when you are losing the argument you want to change its parameters, you are usually better than that.

My dad used to tell me when you are in a hole stop digging.

I believe we would have been promoted with Ian in charge and gone on to better things in League 1 but that’s my opinion and we will never know will we. We have done alright with the other options though!

You talk total BO--OCKS. Those 2 seasons were clearing up Thompson's mess. The majority of the players on the books were with his agent! Go figure! So 12 games in, 21pts a 50% win rate 4th in the league is abject failure. You are a very bitter and sad and twisted old man.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I do think Ian McParland is somewhat harshly judged by some fans for his time in his managerial role at the club.

We have to remember where the club was when he first came in. We also have to remember it was under the supporters trust ownership and there was no money.

Also the youth academy had been shut down and he got that set up and going again.

Look at the side that stayed up back in 2007 under IMcP and compare it with this years team. It could be argued that he did a good job keeping the club in the football league as it did not have anything near the supposed quality that this years side. Neither had we spent anywhere near the amount of money on players. It was a team built on a shoestring.

Thank goodness for Richard Butchers goals (god rest his soul) Mike Edwards and Michael Johnson’s defending which kept us in the league by the skin of our teeth.

The summer of 2009 saw a philosophy whereby leaders and captains were signed by Ian Mcparland.

The Bradford home game on the opening day of the season was the best ever game I have ever watched in my 25 years as a Notts fan. It was pure champagne football and an absolute delight to watch. Pass and move and effective ruthless football. Although he did not see it through it turned out in the end that Ian Mcparland had built the foundations of a fantastic promotion winning team. That cannot and should not be understated nor be dismissed as luck. There comes a point where this should be acknowledged that he was responsible for creating that side.

Money does not guarantee success as this season has perfectly demonstrated and does for many clubs up and down the land. If anything it only emphasis more to me what Ian McParland buit was good, a very very good side.
    He just can't see it Forward, a complete and utter moron.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast