+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex McLeish and Scotland

Alex McLeish and Scotland

So Scotland are pumped 3-0 by Kazakhstan with an absolutely shambolic performance. I wonder how McLeish's media pals will sugarcoat this for him, seeing as he's one of the 'in crowd' in Scottish football who never seems to be criticised.

I've said since way back when he was with us back in the mid 1990s, Alex McLeish is a poor, poor manager and vastly overrated and he looks completely out of his depth with Scotland now. I suspect that there will be very vocal calls from alot of Scotland fans for him to go asap.

There is no defence to that awful performance. The manager's shoogly nail just got a knock. But regardless of any errors from the manager the players seemed to lack belief and they deserve all the pelters that will come their way.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    So Scotland are pumped 3-0 by Kazakhstan with an absolutely shambolic performance. I wonder how McLeish's media pals will sugarcoat this for him, seeing as he's one of the 'in crowd' in Scottish football who never seems to be criticised.

I've said since way back when he was with us back in the mid 1990s, Alex McLeish is a poor, poor manager and vastly overrated and he looks completely out of his depth with Scotland now. I suspect that there will be very vocal calls from alot of Scotland fans for him to go asap.
    No doubt there will be calls for him to go but it won't make much difference.

I said at the end of the last failure there was little point in sacking Strachan. He was ok - not great but ok - and there was absolutely nothing to suggest the SFA were capable of getting anyone better. Indeed, McLeish, or someone like him, looked inevitable even before we bulleted Strachan.

However, what is also clear - or should be - is that after 20 years of being guff it is not one single manager that is the cause of our problems. They will carry the can every couple of years and walk off into the sunset with their payoff but sacking them will only ever be a sticking plaster.

It's very weird for me nowadays. When I re-gale the 'guid auld days' to my 2 sons (in their mid-late 20's now), they look at me like I'm telling mega porkie pies about how Scotland qualified almost as a given, for repetitive European / World Cups. My great, great times at Italia '90 shall live with me forever. I had a wish the 3 of us would travel to a major Tourney together ... you know, share some beers, tell a tale or 2, and make memories for their kids when they're born. Bang goes that forlorn utopia dream !!
    Can no longer be ar5ed watching Scotland games tbh ... in years gone by I'd have said 'us', and not 'Scotland games'.

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    I
    Can no longer be ar5ed watching Scotland games tbh ... in years gone by I'd have said 'us', and not 'Scotland games'.
    Its much the same with me. Years of mismanagement and incompetency by the SFA have killed my enthusiasm for the national team. The whole set up needs drastic surgery from top to bottom and that isn't going to happen any time soon. Not in the least bit surprised that we were beaten by Kazakhstan.

The SFA couldn't run a tap never mind a national game and have proved for decades that they are unfit for purpose. Too many old pals acts, cliques and self serving within the corridors of Hampden.

What also holds Scotland back is the whole mentality that runs through the sport and the country as a whole. The fact that mediocrity and failure is not only excused but it is also often celebrated absolutely kills Scotland and prevents success at all levels. Just look at the 2-2 draw the national team had with England a couple of years ago. Scotland were awful that day and the game was petering out into a routine 1-0 England win until S Scotland score twice in the last two minutes to lead 2-1...yet they still couldn't win the game! And yet the aftermath of it was all Bout a brave Scotland performance, so unlucky not to win, seconds away from glory and loads of celebrating about nearly beating England. That is an absolutely pathetic mentality and completely small time and loser behaviour, yet so many Scots seem to thrive on this. Well until the country as a whole manages to rid themselves of that outlook then Scotland will always be failures.

I really couldn't give a toss about the national team. The whole lot of them needs clearing out and replaced with people who have half a clue.

If Messi had been Scottish he would probably been told “Youwont make it son your too wee”. We last qualified for a major tournament the same time the SFA brought in their all singing all dancing Pro Youth set up, says it all. We stopped boys playing with their Boys Clubs, school teams and more importantly their mates. Then at a certain age they were cast aside as “They hadn’t developed enough”
    This country now plays what I call text book football everything is done out of coaching manuals no one is allowed to show some individuality. Throw the manuals to rubber duck and let players express themselves and enjoy the game of football

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    We stopped boys playing with their Boys Clubs, school teams and more importantly their mates. Then at a certain age they were cast aside as “They hadn’t developed enough”
    The reasons for the decline in youth football are many and varied and, to some degree, are rooted in the cessation of teachers taking football training at school. School teams declined and boys clubs emerged to replace this in part.

Something else to blame Thatcher for then - the teachers strike effectively ended teachers taking school fitbaw teams. Cow !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)