+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Declan Rice

Christ... the lad was 15.. give him a break

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, young Declan wasn’t as well read as your lad.

What is it about reactionary types that make you so f00king judgmental?
    If I want to mention my son, I will. I would rather you fcuking didn't.Me judgemental, maybe but take a look at yerself first comrade Dick.
    Last edited by navypie; 21-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    If I want to bring my lad into an argument, I will.
    But you yourself brought your lad into the argument in post #8!!! If you don't want him involved, don't start posts talking about him.

Sorry sailor boy, you were too late with your sneaky edit. At least you realised your error.

Just as I believe in absolute freedom of speech at any time, I think people should have the right to express a different view later. I don't think Declan Rice should even feel obliged to apologise, especially for comments maybe made in the naivety of youth. None of us knows better than the man himself what he really thinks now, so I'll take his clarification at face value.

The qualification rules for international football are a joke anyway. I recall Xherdan Shaqiri scoring a goal for Switzerland in the World Cup last year and both he and Granit Xhaka then giving an Albanian eagle hand gesture to antagonise the Serbian fans. They weren't thinking of the glory of Switzerland (or football) at that moment, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Just as I believe in absolute freedom of speech at any time, I think people should have the right to express a different view later. I don't think Declan Rice should even feel obliged to apologise, especially for comments maybe made in the naivety of youth. None of us knows better than the man himself what he really thinks now, so I'll take his clarification at face value.

The qualification rules for international football are a joke anyway. I recall Xherdan Shaqiri scoring a goal for Switzerland in the World Cup last year and both he and Granit Xhaka then giving an Albanian eagle hand gesture to antagonise the Serbian fans. They weren't thinking of the glory of Switzerland (or football) at that moment, that's for sure.
    The naivety of youth?

He could have joined ISIS or the IRA AT 15
    Another year under his belt and Labour want him to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    The naivety of youth?

He could have joined ISIS or the IRA AT 15.
    Or he could have joined the armed forces at 16. That means a 16 year old is signing up to say they are willing to kill strangers if their boss tells them to. Pretty big decision for lads and girls of such immaturity.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Or he could have joined the armed forces at 16. That means a 16 year old is signing up to say they are willing to kill strangers if their boss tells them to. Pretty big decision for lads and girls of such immaturity.
    Spot on EP.
    Thanks for proving my point x

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    But you yourself brought your lad into the argument in post #8!!! If you don't want him involved, don't start posts talking about him.

Sorry sailor boy, you were too late with your sneaky edit. At least you realised your error.
    Nothing sneaky, I just didn't word it right but all I was saying is he's well aware of his Irish ancestory.Anyway , state your piece by all means but why do you always feel the need.
    Just thought I would edit that.
    Last edited by navypie; 21-03-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    The naivety of youth?

He could have joined ISIS or the IRA AT 15
    Another year under his belt and Labour want him to vote.
    The most likely explanation is he was trying to look hard and/or impress a few Irish mates, or just feel part of a group, which can be a very compelling urge in ****age years when kids are searching for their identity. Of course it's true that this could have led him in with the wrong crowd, but his quick action to disown his earlier comments suggest it was just a case of juvenile stupidity on social media and not representative of his views now. People a lot older than him make mistakes on social media!

Everybody will have a view but on balance I say cut the kid some slack and take what he says now on face value.

I don't agree with the vote at 16 though, for the same reason. If anything, I'd raise the limit to 21.

He should be proud of his Irish ancestry Navy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast