+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Rugby Union Rotherham Titans 29 Caldy 5

O/T Rugby Union Rotherham Titans 29 Caldy 5

Pleasant Saturday afternoon weather in Rotherham, and with no Millers match, I headed up to Clifton Lane. Rotherham Titans now play in tier three, with a revamped, fairly young team. They generally looked technically superior to opponents Caldy (from Cheshire, since you ask), except at the line-outs and deserved to win.
    Although it wasn't a dirty game, Salisbury of Caldy was sent off in the second half after throwing a punch in a minor squabble, unwisely right in front of the referee.
    Spotted several Millers regular fans in the crowd, and the real ales in the clubhouse were in good nick.
    Enjoyable game, but the Titans will miss out on promotion this season. Not doing badly though given some of their previous problems.
    Tries : Bergmanas 2, Irvine, Thomson
    Penalty: Dolly
    Conversions: Dolly 3
    Last edited by mikemiller; 23-03-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Moot point whether Titans owners want the club to go up.

I went to the match mike.

We were in the sponsor's area. For £30 we got entry plus a two course meal. The food was proper, good old fashioned mans grub: homemade steak pie (doorstep pastry), real chips, mushy peas and gravy. Followed by apple crumble and custard. The beer was reasonably priced. You can drink whilst watching the match. The staff were brilliant. A couple of players came in after the match for a Q&A.

The match itself was brilliant.

We were on the table next to the Caldy officials. Great bunch, lots of really good natured banter. Not one whiff of animosity from either set. It was as though the rugby community was more important than club allegiance.

All in all, a great day (and night) out!

Yes, good following from Caldy, and a good atmosphere at the game. I didn't stay after the match, but I think that there was the player of the month award, and entertainments on in clubhouse.