+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: o/t civil war, strikes, walk outs, political parties collapsing/ emerging.....

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    You've literally just described France at the moment.

I seriously cannot tell you how much people are hating Macron here. Yesterday thearmy was posted in Paris to stop the people damaging buildings and property. Now all protests in France have to registered any that aren't the police have the right to fine everyone 25€ for being there.

The fuel prices have been raised again and prices in general have gone up. The social changes are coming into force and are looking simular to the UK system. It's a better system but the French people will lose out.

Macron is not going to get elected again but he'll walk into a top job at the EU.

If only the press would report about the similarities.
    The Revolution will not be televised.

I seriously cannot tell you how much people are hating Macron here. Yesterday thearmy was posted in Paris to stop the people damaging buildings and property. Now all protests in France have to registered any that aren't the police have the right to fine everyone 25€ for being there.

The fuel prices have been raised again and prices in general have gone up. The social changes are coming into force and are looking simular to the UK system. It's a better system but the French people will lose out.

Macron is not going to get elected again but he'll walk into a top job at the EU.

Don't you think it feels like its dying down here though? In January I was driving past the pickets, and the toll roads and speed cameras were down, there was a big presence, now it just seems to be more confined to Paris. I did see an abandoned yellow vest behind my parking space in Chamonix last week though, just not groups of people wearing them.

There's a lot of soldiers on the street now. Pity the government hasn't found anywhere else for them to live.

Macron is undoubtedly feathering his nest with the EU

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Pretty much true. If we leave the EU soon, the conditions we see around us would not get better as the issues around us are caused by our government's choices.

It could be considerably worse however and not just on economic grounds. How will NHS and social care improve with a substantial decrease in care workers? In the desired utopia of substantially less immigrant workers doing jobs lower than the 30k cut off, who will be doing those jobs, in cafes, bars, restaurants, fields, streets etc?
    Because we as a nation will decide who we want to allow in [or at least that's how it should work]
    What a poor argument when you ask who will be doing these jobs
    I think what you mean is how will all those companies be able to get cheap labour [often below min wage] so that the tax payer can supplement their income with benefits thus resulting in the taxpayer subsidising great numbers of these so called "businesses"

If, as is looking likely, we stay in the EU, it will be absolutely hilarious if these young Remainers end up getting conscripted into the new EU army, 100% brought it on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Don't you think it feels like its dying down here though? In January I was driving past the pickets, and the toll roads and speed cameras were down, there was a big presence, now it just seems to be more confined to Paris. I did see an abandoned yellow vest behind my parking space in Chamonix last week though, just not groups of people wearing them.
    I drove past a gilet jaune camp at Albertville a few weeks ago. It was quite impressive - they had a barbecue going and a little gazebo with chairs in where they were sitting and drinking bottled beer. A chap by the roadside offered me a leaflet, but didn’t start rioting when I declined it. I appreciate that Paris has seen some more lively protesting.

In your quote frog you say that it's a better system but the French people will lose out, so who is it a better system for?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I drove past a gilet jaune camp at Albertville a few weeks ago. It was quite impressive - they had a barbecue going and a little gazebo with chairs in where they were sitting and drinking bottled beer. A chap by the roadside offered me a leaflet, but didn’t start rioting when I declined it. I appreciate that Paris has seen some more lively protesting.
    Yes I saw the same footage on YouTube as well

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    It's getting more organised.

At first it was the people discontent with the price of fuel and the policy that Macron enforced regarding the fuel prices. He had said that he was going to put 7 centimes on the price of diesel on a certain date when it was already at an all time high. When the jilet jeune protest it was mainly for that reason. Since then we've had strikes at universities and other secondry educational facilities to the extent that the kids came out on strike for 3 days in protest to the reforms to the education system. In secondary education now they can have upto 40 kids in a class and then to a limit 44 until they have to employ another prof.

Last week there were postal strikes and demonstartionst organised by recognised unions. This is the prefered way for Macron because he knows who to speak to. The Jilet Jeunes didn't have a leader and that's what made it so difficult for them to find a resolution. One thing regarding the first jilet jeune demos was that they had police sympathy and informed the police when and where they were protesting and they were controled to some extent in good humour but the jilet jeunes couldn't get anywhere near the facilities that refined the fuel. Those areas were controlled by tougher measures to make sure that the country could run.

There is much more to come from the protests like in the other big cities as this weekend showed. The demos weren't in Paris this weekend but other big cities had them. There isn't a cat in hells chance of Macron getting reelected.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 25-03-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast