+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Highlights V Exeter

Extended Highlights V Exeter

So today is a different day. My disappointment has subsided slightly and I plucked up the courage to watch the extended highlights. Do you know what, I actually don't feel too negative. All the highlights revolved around us, and all Exeter had was the goal. We tried and tried but just couldn't get the break. The players weren't hiding, they all gave it a good go. It's only one point dropped at the end if you think about it. The game was clearly heading for a draw. We're still in touch with Yeovil. Let's forget about it and move on. There's 7 more games to play. Rueing what could have been is pointless now. Onwards and upwards, roll your sleeves up, dust ourselves down etc.....

The derision at the end was due to the last-minute goal and the nature of it. Take that away and it would probably have been a similar crowd reaction to the Morecambe game, muted applause for the effort mixed with frustration at the lack of a goal. I've seen far worse performances from Notts than we got yesterday, but it has to be said that we never truly looked like breaking down Exeter's ten men, and nor did we pose much of a threat to Morecambe and Port Vale previously.

In general we are looking more defensively solid than we did previously. The two goals we've conceded were down to individual errors rather than a collective failure of the defensive unit over 90 minutes. The biggest positive I can take from yesterday is that we might have a better chance of going away from home, staying defensively solid and nicking a goal now than we did earlier in the season. The performance at Carlisle showed what can be achieved, especially when the home team are obliged to commit to attack rather than sit behind the ball.

If the players can deal with the psychological blow of what happened yesterday, I can still see them going to Stevenage and getting a result.

I might try some of what you guys are on - but it's illegal y'know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    I might try some of what you guys are on - but it's illegal y'know!
    No thanx, it just re-emphasises to me how rubbish we are in and around the box even with 8 new players. It was bad enough watching that cr4p once, never mind twice.

Still in the Game ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The derision at the end was due to the last-minute goal and the nature of it. Take that away and it would probably have been a similar crowd reaction to the Morecambe game, muted applause for the effort mixed with frustration at the lack of a goal. I've seen far worse performances from Notts than we got yesterday, but it has to be said that we never truly looked like breaking down Exeter's ten men, and nor did we pose much of a threat to Morecambe and Port Vale previously.

In general we are looking more defensively solid than we did previously. The two goals we've conceded were down to individual errors rather than a collective failure of the defensive unit over 90 minutes. The biggest positive I can take from yesterday is that we might have a better chance of going away from home, staying defensively solid and nicking a goal now than we did earlier in the season. The performance at Carlisle showed what can be achieved, especially when the home team are obliged to commit to attack rather than sit behind the ball.

If the players can deal with the psychological blow of what happened yesterday, I can still see them going to Stevenage and getting a result.
    As bad as Notts have been, they are still within touching distance, 3 points, which given how they have played this season, is quite surprising they are still in the game at this stage. Its still there for the taking, if Notts can man up and win the games required to claw to safety???

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    As bad as Notts have been, they are still within touching distance, 3 points, which given how they have played this season, is quite surprising they are still in the game at this stage. Its still there for the taking, if Notts can man up and win the games required to claw to safety???
    I don't see Macclesfield or Yeovil accumulating too many points, and I still believe this squad has more ability than those that kept up by a whisker in the Trust era.

The real question is whether our current players can find the desire and strength of character to throw off the shackles and play to their potential, because at present, on any occasion where there is even a modicum of expectation, this team seems to crumble under the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

100% correct. Everyone was frustrated with yesterday’s denouement, but yeah I’ve seen far worse performances than that.

Still got a decent chance of staying up. But not having a big man up front to hit is killing us.

I have to dispute your 'decent chance', BFP. 'Remote chance' more like.
    Can someone post the highlights from yesterday for me to click on, please? In return, I promise not to start a political fred before Tuesday,

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    So today is a different day. My disappointment has subsided slightly and I plucked up the courage to watch the extended highlights. Do you know what, I actually don't feel too negative. All the highlights revolved around us, and all Exeter had was the goal. We tried and tried but just couldn't get the break. The players weren't hiding, they all gave it a good go. It's only one point dropped at the end if you think about it. The game was clearly heading for a draw. We're still in touch with Yeovil. Let's forget about it and move on. There's 7 more games to play. Rueing what could have been is pointless now. Onwards and upwards, roll your sleeves up, dust ourselves down etc.....
    Well as Exeter had ten men for 70 mins plus you’d expect us to have more of the ball and shots how many saves did the keeper make for them ?

That yesterday was truely dreadful we haven’t looked like scoring in the last 3 home games 2 against teams near the bottom and one with ten men for 80% of the match.

One point dropped is a lot as if we drew it was a one game swing now it’s a two game swing that goal made all the difference and one which has us as 99.9% certain of the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I have to dispute your 'decent chance', BFP. 'Remote chance' more like.
    Can someone post the highlights from yesterday for me to click on, please? In return, I promise not to start a political fred before Tuesday,
    Here you go Sid:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast