+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So now we know!

So now we know!

According to the DT, Mel Morris writes a monthly cheque for £1.25m that covers 40% of the wage bill just to meet the costs of those players who have contributed nothing to the DCFC cause this season.
    Some are obviously more ‘guilty’ than others, but this is what those such as Butterfield, Thorne, Martin, Blackman, Anya, Olsson, Pearce - and to a lesser extent - Bryson have cost us and if you want to know why we’re in the mess we’re in then look no further.
    What do they all appear to have in common? Could it be contracts awarded by a certain Sam Rush?
    Thanks Sam...we at Derby County have such a lot to thank you for!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    According to the DT, Mel Morris writes a monthly cheque for £1.25m that covers 40% of the wage bill just to meet the costs of those players who have contributed nothing to the DCFC cause this season.
    Some are obviously more ‘guilty’ than others, but this is what those such as Butterfield, Thorne, Martin, Blackman, Anya, Olsson, Pearce - and to a lesser extent - Bryson have cost us and if you want to know why we’re in the mess we’re in then look no further.
    What do they all appear to have in common? Could it be contracts awarded by a certain Sam Rush?
    Yes and he walked out with over £2million in his back pocket RA you forgot to mention the worse of the lot Darren Bent

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Yes and he walked out with over £2million in his back pocket RA you forgot to mention the worse of the lot Darren Bent
    Don’t agree Bent was the worst of the lot, mista and we haven’t been paying him this season, but you’re right...I had forgotten his ‘back pocket’.

Martin out on loan so not costing us that much if at all
    Butterfield idem ditto
    Blackman idem ditto
    Pearce idem ditto
    Anya left out in the cold. Didn't ask to be there.
    Olsson just started training again after a long injury

Not sure the players mentioned should be getting both barrels as harshly as they are.

If you believe that those players are loaned out on terms such as the receiving team is paying most if not all of the salary cost, then have I got a deal for you. I own a bridge near the Tower of London that I can sell to you.........

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Martin out on loan so not costing us that much if at all
    Butterfield idem ditto
    Blackman idem ditto
    Pearce idem ditto
    Anya left out in the cold. Didn't ask to be there.
    Olsson just started training again after a long injury

Not sure the players mentioned should be getting both barrels as harshly as they are.
    Not sure who else you think Morris is referring to, MA.
    No way that Bradford, Sporting Gijon and Luton are paying the full whack or anything like.
    Besides my criticism is aimed more at the person responsible for the contracts than the actual beneficiaries although, for instance, where Bryson is concerned...he’s recently been referred to as a ‘Rams legend’. Not in my eyes I’m afraid...as far as I can see he seems to have taken out much more than he’s put in.

No way that Bradford, Sporting Gijon and Luton are paying the full whack or anything like.
    Besides my criticism is aimed more at the person responsible for the contracts than the actual beneficiaries although, for instance, where Bryson is concerned...he’s recently been referred to as a ‘Rams legend’. Not in my eyes I’m afraid...as far as I can see he seems to have taken out much more than he’s put in.
    RA I'm the same as you i don't particularly blame the players Although Butters wouldn't go last August and say doing nothing till the end of Jan then decides he better get fixed up before he's on the dole in June Blackman is just a terrible player he's not going to be missed Anya just one of those mysteries of the owner eventually finds out you have a very lucrative appearance fee in your contract He's going to make sure you don't play But he's still got another year to go see how that one develops No Bryson not a legand,personally I don't believe in them players come and go well rewarded retire at 35 to play golf

You really have it in for Bryson don't you RA, did he yake a sh*t on your lawn or something? or vote Leave? Seriously, there are NO legends in my eyes in these days of astronomic salaries but he's contributed more than most in the past decade, albeit he peaked a while ago

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    You really have it in for Bryson don't you RA, did he yake a sh*t on your lawn or something? or vote Leave? Seriously, there are NO legends in my eyes in these days of astronomic salaries but he's contributed more than most in the past decade, albeit he peaked a while ago
    That’s just not true Andy. I like players who give their all. They’re very well paid indeed these days but compared with those I would call ‘legends’ - the likes of Steve Powell, Kevin Hector, Roy McFarland, Rob Hindmarch, Dean Saunders - the only player I regularly see putting in the same effort and commitment week in and week out is Richard Keogh.
    He may not be the most skilful but he has that old school level of commitment and I applaud that.
    For me Bryson is a disappointment not a ‘legend’. He’s probably had two, possibly three, very good seasons at Derby and of course he scored THAT hat trick, but imo he’s done very, very little to warrant the label of ‘legend’ since 2014. That’s five years ago now and given his contribution to Derby over the last three years he has to be one of the ones that MM is talking about...that’s all.
    So...I wish him well but he’s no ‘legend’ and we’d have been better off getting rid three or four years ago imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I'm with RA on this one. I don't see how he's had any more impact than Martin or Keogh, and for honours of goals against Forest, I probably enjoyed Ward's efforts more than Bryson's.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)