+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    . Yes and I want Eleanor Smith banned , she doesn’t even come or live in the Black Country she’s from wolverhamton.on a more serious note.iwas reading somewhere a while back ,some prominent race relation or MP accuses the school we’re the young girl who designed the flag attended for not teaching the kids enough about the slave trade.if they had she would have not put the chains in the design you couldn’t make it up.the band wagon rolling just waiting for Lenny Henry now.
    Under the logic of another stupid woman MP the every county or area would have a Rainbow because of the diversity of races....silly cow Bungled it again and needs to Zippy it doesn't she Geoffrey?

Not knowing what it was I looked up my county flag. Designed in 2007. Huntingdonshire has a green background with a gold Hunting Horn, not much history there then. Huntingdon famous for being the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell...what did he do? only brought down the muddling government of his time....oh dear, must not stir up evil thoughts among the local peasantry don't you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Huntingdonshire

It appears Gloucestershire (along with every other area) has it's own flag. There was a competition to design one in 2008 and the one in the photo won. I've yet to see one anywhere. Totally pointless, merely a money making idea which hopefully hasn't taken off in many areas of the U.K.
    Name:  glos flag.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  20.9 KB

Wouldn't hang it anywhere horrible bast**d thing ,

I quite like the Black Country flag .

Certainly more appealing than that snot infused offering from Gloucestershire anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    I quite like the Black Country flag .

Certainly more appealing than that snot infused offering from Gloucestershire anyway.
    And me
    The fact it riles up the Pc brigade is an added bonus.

Personally I think remembering and respecting the Black Country's long history and heritage is important. I am reading a book at the moment which contains plenty of references to it including the following which some might find interesting -

'...In 1776 Arthur Young left Birmingham, passed through the Soho Manufactory and went through West Bromwich toward Wolverhampton. He wrote:

'The road is one continued village of nailers...About Wednesbury the whole country smoaks with coal-pits, forges, furnaces, &c., towns come upon the neck of one another, and large ones too. Darliston, where gun-locks are made. Bilston, a considerable place, and quite to Wolverhampton from Birmingham, I saw not one farm-house, nothing that looked like the residence of a mere farmer'.

In 1792 Lord Torrington wrote:

'...by a back lane came to Wednesbury, another overgrown village, blacken'd with its trees and hedges by the forge fires; nay, even the sun itself is obscured by them! Every field is scoop'd by collieries and canals; and the iron stone (happy distribution) lays under the coal. Iron foundries around are numberless; and the roads are made of the iron dross.'

When I first saw the Black Country Flag I never thought of Slavery only the chain attached to anchors and their part in lifting in heavy industry of our parts

I wondered if my town of Oldbury in the West Midlands had its own flag and imagine my surprise when I found it had

Attachment 12329

Strange she has an issue with chains when many of her fellow black people have no problem wearing and displaying lots of them. I think the flag and its symbolism is great.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    i wondered if my town of oldbury in the west midlands had its own flag and imagine my surprise when i found it had

Attachment 12329
    lol! 😀

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)