+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW @ Millmoor 1995?

SW @ Millmoor 1995?

I just found a interesting fact that Sheffield Wednesday had to play their European games at Millmoor in 1995 for some reason.

While this is interesting me since I was only 10 at the time I can’t find out why this happened.

Can someone enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I just found a interesting fact that Sheffield Wednesday had to play their European games at Millmoor in 1995 for some reason.

While this is interesting me since I was only 10 at the time I can’t find out why this happened.

Can someone enlighten me

It was the Intertoto Cup.

Hillsborough was being redeveloped for the forthcoming Euro 96 games so was unavailable

Blast you just beat me to it grist!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It was the Intertoto Cup.

Hillsborough was being redeveloped for the forthcoming Euro 96 games so was unavailable
    Cheers grist mate

Tbh I think they must have pocketed the money you’d never know it had ever had any work done

Wednesday won both games I seem to remember.

Maybe the only time they won twice at Millmoor in the same season?

Both games had low attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post
    Blast you just beat me to it grist!
    And you’ve got to be quick to beat you to the draw loyal

Cheers grist mate

Tbh I think they must have pocketed the money you’d never know it had ever had any work done
    And astounding that the ground was even considered being only a few years after the Hillsborough disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    And astounding that the ground was even considered being only a few years after the Hillsborough disaster
    Back then though all blame had been put on Liverpool fans but yeah anyone with common sense wouldn’t take the risk.

Also I bet uefa never went to the ground or he would be disgusted by the pig smell 🐖

Back then though all blame had been put on Liverpool fans but yeah anyone with common sense wouldn’t take the risk.

Also I bet uefa never went to the ground or he would be disgusted by the pig smell 🐖

It was only about 3 years before the disaster that they put a roof on the kop. Even then it needed a bucket collection by the fans to help pay for it.

I thought the crowds for the intertoto games were around 6000? More than we were getting for our home games at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast