+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t the problem with equality and diversity

When I was at school parents could ask for their children to be taken out of *** education or they didn't have to go to assembly and sing hymns because their parents were atheists or a different religion, parents do have to have some say.

And when those underworked teachers have nothing else to do, there’s this:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47695169

This school is an outstanding school. It's doing what excellent schools do, teaching the national curriculum whilst getting their kids ready for the world they will enter when they grow up.

My college has developed a similar programme but our similar issue is many of our Black African and Caribbean students are brought up in quite strict Christian households. Yet we are specifically running sessions in religious awareness of different and no faiths as well as promoting awareness of equal opps. I have had a couple of conversations with unhappy parents about this but it remains compulsory as I want our kids to be able to function in the wider world and the job market being able to tolerate and work with the full range of different people out there. Their parent's and family faiths and embedded beliefs, if restricting and cutting the kid off from the wider world have to be challenged in compulsory education.

All part of welding together a multi faith community for the kid's benefit, not their parents. If they don't like that, I invite them to go to another college. When they see the learning as enabling their kids to better function with other people in the world of work, most parents are happy to compromise. Good on this school for standing their ground.

To think that many good people faught for equality and inclusion for all of the different types of people from whatever race, creed or ***ual persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    This school is an outstanding school. It's doing what excellent schools do, teaching the national curriculum whilst getting their kids ready for the world they will enter when they grow up.

My college has developed a similar programme but our similar issue is many of our Black African and Caribbean students are brought up in quite strict Christian households. Yet we are specifically running sessions in religious awareness of different and no faiths as well as promoting awareness of equal opps. I have had a couple of conversations with unhappy parents about this but it remains compulsory as I want our kids to be able to function in the wider world and the job market being able to tolerate and work with the full range of different people out there. Their parent's and family faiths and embedded beliefs, if restricting and cutting the kid off from the wider world have to be challenged in compulsory education.

All part of welding together a multi faith community for the kid's benefit, not their parents. If they don't like that, I invite them to go to another college. When they see the learning as enabling their kids to better function with other people in the world of work, most parents are happy to compromise. Good on this school for standing their ground.

All part of welding together a multi faith community for the kid's benefit, not their parents. If they don't like that, I invite them to go to another college. When they see the learning as enabling their kids to better function with other people in the world of work, most parents are happy to compromise. Good on this school for standing their ground.[/QUOTE]

For all your good intentions rp & welding together a multi faith community do you see any change in the attitudes of Muslims in our society as a whole because I don't & you managed to steer your way through your post by avoiding saying who you are actually talking about
    I visited Dubai a couple of years ago & went into a Mosque & was stood behind a young English couple & the young lady took off her headscarf
    It took about 30 seconds for a "guard" to take her outside to be "schooled" on putting it back on if she wanted to re enter
    Not much tolerance there Their country their rules Consequently I have decided not to visit Dubai again
    It seems to me that we as a nation are the ones who happily change our rules to suit others

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    For all your good intentions rp & welding together a multi faith community do you see any change in the attitudes of Muslims in our society as a whole because I don't & you managed to steer your way through your post by avoiding saying who you are actually talking about
    I visited Dubai a couple of years ago & went into a Mosque & was stood behind a young English couple & the young lady took off her headscarf
    It took about 30 seconds for a "guard" to take her outside to be "schooled" on putting it back on if she wanted to re enter
    Not much tolerance there Their country their rules Consequently I have decided not to visit Dubai again
    It seems to me that we as a nation are the ones who happily change our rules to suit others[/QUOTE]

I thought, by identifying our issues with Black African and Caribbean Christian communities who we have found carry many strong homophobic viewpoints, that I was identifying exactly who I was talking about. Apologies that this wasn’t clear. The Muslims in our college tend not to be more conformist to ‘British Values’ but I think that they tend to be more integrated into the wider community around this part of East London whereas the local Black African and Caribbean communities are quite insular in their embedded communities. Which I think is a problem with Asian communities in Rotherham and many communities where ‘ghettos’ have been allowed to develop.

You’re quite right not to re-visit a country that is not in-keeping with your values. My wife (quite a strong feminist) felt the same about an area of Egypt she visited. We won’t go back there.

You may be misreading what I am saying. Like the school in the article, we promote acceptance of all cultures and ways of life in our Country, but on proviso that they accept and tolerate the views and feelings of others. We try and educate and challenge around all common prejudices and unfortunately that conflicts with beliefs of the parents. But we are preparing their kids for the real world, where all kinds of people exist and where such prejudices are not accepted by law in this country. The kids, despite what their parents say, need to know this.

In this case, I am with the school and back them in their stance against this Muslim community. Kids need to know about and tolerate all faiths/no faiths, abilities, lifestyle choices as part of their curriculum and be ready for the wider world. A good school will not force stuff down their throats but raise the issues and encourage learners to explore them, have their views and hear contrary viewpoints. One kid in a session last week said that he viewed a person in the process of *** change to ‘no longer be human’. This was challenged by other kids quite well and that’s the idea. How far is he going to get in the real world with such embedded views? In my experience, parents when this is explained to them, accept and support what schools do.

I thought, by identifying our issues with Black African and Caribbean Christian communities who we have found carry many strong homophobic viewpoints, that I was identifying exactly who I was talking about. Apologies that this wasn’t clear. The Muslims in our college tend not to be more conformist to ‘British Values’ but I think that they tend to be more integrated into the wider community around this part of East London whereas the local Black African and Caribbean communities are quite insular in their embedded communities. Which I think is a problem with Asian communities in Rotherham and many communities where ‘ghettos’ have been allowed to develop.
    Oops - correction reequired. This should read "The Muslims in our college TEND TO BE MORE integrated into the wider community around this part of East London whereas the local Black African and Caribbean communities are quite insular in their embedded communities". Not the opposite, which is what I wrote! Eek!
    Last edited by ragingpup; 26-03-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Oops - correction reequired. This should read "The Muslims in our college TEND TO BE MORE integrated into the wider community around this part of East London whereas the local Black African and Caribbean communities are quite insular in their embedded communities". Not the opposite, which is what I wrote! Eek!
    Totally the opposite to my experience rp
    I see manyAfrican/Caribbeans attending churches of many denominations but I see only Muslims attending local mosques
    How's that for being insular
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 26-03-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Totally the opposite to my experience rp
    I see manyAfrican/Caribbeans attending churches of many denominations but I see only Muslims attending local mosques
    How's that for being insular
    It's only March, but this post gets my nomination for funniest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It's only March, but this post gets my nomination for funniest of the year.
    Obviously over your head

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast