+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t the problem with equality and diversity

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Question rp
    1 Have these parents taken their kids out of school? [Allum Rock]
    2 If so is it illegal to do so?
    just asking for clarification
    I have had 2 parents remove their kids from our college. However we are a FE/training provider for 16-18s so there is nothing to stop parents doing this. But I regularly get concerns from parents over the BV programmes we do and that's fine. The parents normally accept it when we explain the positive benefits for their kids when they go into the wider world and just need assurances that no views are being forced on them, and that thei kids views will be welcomed and explored as part of any discussions.

Not sure about legal school's position on topics except that on NC, schools must explore a variety of world religions, cultures and ways of life. For me, I would like this to be compulsory for all children attending state schools but don't know the exact legal position in enforcing kids to attend. I think this school are in the process of discussions with parents, reassuring their concerns and fears just as i do with our concerned parents. But we live in a country with a mixed culture and education is for me key to blending together for the future. The views of the adults, in both the ethnic communities and of the local resistant population can be quite negative and sometimes scary, but we can't back down on it.

However, as I see it, the alternative to multiculturalism is 2 tier develoment.
    How does that pan out in say Saudi Arabia?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Saudis are very tolerant of variations from their own beliefs and culture. But we don't want to be like that do we?

Saudis have laws & they enforce them
    I don't like them so that's why i wouldn't want to live there
    If I chose to do so I would expect to conform to their laws & don't think I'd get very far on trying to change them & nor would I want to or even consider doing so Their country their laws Me not living there my choice

Just looked up legal position

When your child can miss school

You can only allow your child to miss school if either:

they’re too ill to go in
    you’ve got advance permission from the school

Our laws if you get my drift

But we'll accomodate any old Tom Dick & Harry & b ollox to our own beliefs & culture
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 28-03-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Saudis have laws & they enforce them
    I don't like them so that's why i wouldn't want to live there
    If I chose to do so I would expect to conform to their laws & don't think I'd get very far on trying to change them & nor would I want to or even consider doing so Their country their laws Me not living there my choice

Just looked up legal position

When your child can miss school

You can only allow your child to miss school if either:

they’re too ill to go in
    you’ve got advance permission from the school

Our laws if you get my drift

But we'll accomodate any old Tom Dick & Harry & b ollox to our own beliefs & culture
    That would seem to indicate that these kids should attend, which is what I'm saying. I think the only alternative is home schooling, but I don't think that would be allowed in these circumstances.

What makes you think that these parents will be allowed to permanently opt out of this school's programme? As I understand it, the programme is on hold whilst the school talks to concerned parents but then intends to continue. As it should, with all children in attendance.

If you have any info where these kids are being allowed to miss parts of school that parents disagree with, then send me evidence. You may be right but I haven't come across it happening.

As ever, we shouldn't be too quick to generalise the views of parents such as these onto the views of other ethnic parents, the vast majority are happy for their kids to attend school as normal and experience the national curriculum. I've been at my current college as leader for 4 years, and 1000 kids have gone through, 95% non white UK. I have only had a handful of protests, and all of these were black African or Caribbean Christians.

The Muslim community have no intention of allowing their kids to be subjected to LGBT teaching
    Don't you get that?

Hundreds of Muslim parents have kept their children home from school, over the teaching of LGBT rights and homophobia. Protests have taken place at Parkfield Community School in Alum Rock, Birmingham, amid parents' concerns about its No Outsiders programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnzhGdSBBY
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 28-03-2019 at 09:55 AM.

The Muslim community have no intention of allowing their kids to be subjected to LGBT teaching
    Don't you get that?

Hundreds of Muslim parents have kept their children home from school, over the teaching of LGBT rights and homophobia. Protests have taken place at Parkfield Community School in Alum Rock, Birmingham, amid parents' concerns about its No Outsiders programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnzhGdSBBY

I do get that. They are entitled to make their concerns known, the school are doing their best to meet with parents and reassure them. But they are quite clear that the programme will continue and that the children will be expected to attend.

A new equality act coming in next year will reinforce further school's requirement to deliver such British Values programmes so it is only going to get harder for these parents to resist. They may well keep their kids away but then the authorities will have to move to prosecute.

Not sure what I'm not getting?

The regressive left as bad as the actual far right. The problem is because of the regressive left the term far right is losing all meaning because they brand everyone who disagrees with them this. Being pro freedom of speech and left leaning Ive been branded communist by one side of the coin and far right by the other.

Look, it’s all going to hell in a handcart, we all know it is but some try to think it will all be ok eventually.

It won’t

Multiculturalism doesn’t work

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Look, it’s all going to hell in a handcart, we all know it is but some try to think it will all be ok eventually.

It won’t

Multiculturalism doesn’t work
    Ok Grist. We have a situation developed over the last 70 years especially where we have different cities and towns with different extents of various ethnic communities, some well integrated and others more segregated. The vast majority of these are UK citizens and many of them have been born and raised in the UK

I've put my neck over the wall (always likely to be shot at on here!) by giving some solutions as to how compulsory education can ensure that kids from different communities are brought together to receive the same UK education. This will pay off long term I would hope. I don't see any other alternatives personally.

The question is if you continue to see multiculturalism as not working, what are your suggestions for alternative solutions? Either give some that are possible and workable or just stop whining about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Ok Grist. We have a situation developed over the last 70 years especially where we have different cities and towns with different extents of various ethnic communities, some well integrated and others more segregated. The vast majority of these are UK citizens and many of them have been born and raised in the UK

I've put my neck over the wall (always likely to be shot at on here!) by giving some solutions as to how compulsory education can ensure that kids from different communities are brought together to receive the same UK education. This will pay off long term I would hope. I don't see any other alternatives personally.

The question is if you continue to see multiculturalism as not working, what are your suggestions for alternative solutions? Either give some that are possible and workable or just stop whining about it!
    Why look for a workable solution?

It’s like a failed marriage, things like “ we’re stopping together for the kids” or “it’s worth giving it a few more months” when way down we all know it’s doomed, not going to work.

It’s arguable that we’ve gone to far to fix it now and there’s every chance that the outcome will be race riots.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast