+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: o/t the problem with equality and diversity

He's definitely more of an anti bigot liberal by definition lefty as far as I can tell. He gets a lot of hate by said bigots. I thinks he's explained the photo and other smears I'll try and find it. There's nothing about his body language to suggest he's anything but decent.

I know Infowars well.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Good point well made.
    Must say I'm surprised you agree

I don't take into account of the identity of the poster when I consider a post. You should try it.

And I am terribly fond of you.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I don't take into account of the identity of the poster when I consider a post. You should try it.

And I am terribly fond of you.
    Who mentioned the identity of a poster
    I can tell your posts a mile off without looking who posted but the posters identity does add a certain dimension to the topic
    Ever heard of distance lending enchantment to the view, a perspective often referred to by eminent painters. It's very true but not in your case

& as for you being terribly fond of me....... perlease do me a favour, it wouldn't do my street cred [such that it is] any good at all

Kerr has now logged off even in the middle of our discourse.........oh well
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 10-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.

I'm never quite sure if the idea of PC driven censorship is disputed per se by some on here or whether it's considered justified and balanced by similar pressures from the far right.
    I have suggested before that more pernicious even than outright censorship is the pervasive self-censorship we now see all the time; the motives for this are often either fear of Islamic terrorism or fear of the Twitter Mob. This last phenomenon is relatively new in the areas of which I have direct knowledge and invariably from the Liberal Left. In a very small area of human endeavour that I am involved in we have seen in recent months the following examples of self-censorship to avoid hassle. The case of The Scramble for Africa I have mentioned and can confirm that in response to the storm aroused on BoardGameGeek and Consimworld the publisher confirmed the decision was a response to a social media campaign by left wingers. Other instances are the decision to reprint Up Front with revised box art as the Twitterati objected to the fact that a German soldier depicted had a Swaztika insignia - this despite the fact that the game has been in print for over 30 years without previous comment. Another is the decision that in future a number of publishers of books and games on the American Civil War will no longer show the Confederate flag even where this means blanking out original photos and art. A third is that a well-known game is to be renamed after protestors suggested that the use of the name Hitler in Hitler's Reich was an encouragement to Nazism!
    These things have all happened in the last year in one tiny area of interest and they are all things of which I have first hand knowledge.
    Matthew Parris recently highlighted the general trend in an excellent piece entitled: "Double standards of the Liberal Left."

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    I'm never quite sure if the idea of PC driven censorship is disputed per se by some on here or whether it's considered justified and balanced by similar pressures from the far right.
    I have suggested before that more pernicious even than outright censorship is the pervasive self-censorship we now see all the time; the motives for this are often either fear of Islamic terrorism or fear of the Twitter Mob. This last phenomenon is relatively new in the areas of which I have direct knowledge and invariably from the Liberal Left. In a very small area of human endeavour that I am involved in we have seen in recent months the following examples of self-censorship to avoid hassle. The case of The Scramble for Africa I have mentioned and can confirm that in response to the storm aroused on BoardGameGeek and Consimworld the publisher confirmed the decision was a response to a social media campaign by left wingers. Other instances are the decision to reprint Up Front with revised box art as the Twitterati objected to the fact that a German soldier depicted had a Swaztika insignia - this despite the fact that the game has been in print for over 30 years without previous comment. Another is the decision that in future a number of publishers of books and games on the American Civil War will no longer show the Confederate flag even where this means blanking out original photos and art. A third is that a well-known game is to be renamed after protestors suggested that the use of the name Hitler in Hitler's Reich was an encouragement to Nazism!
    These things have all happened in the last year in one tiny area of interest and they are all things of which I have first hand knowledge.
    Matthew Parris recently highlighted the general trend in an excellent piece entitled: "Double standards of the Liberal Left."

Another good thought provoking post Wendy. I share Paris’s concerns generally, and it’s a well written article.

I think that there’s a difference here though between a decision to keep/withdraw a product or change the packaging of a product because of commercial reasons and where a company is forced to withdraw a product, or modify an activity due to a direct threat by an organisation, or a state intervention. The instances you have given here are all commercial decisions by the company. They may well have received a great many complaints from ‘liberals’ etc, but at the end of the day, they remained free to continue selling their product and/or selling it with the original Nazi referenced packaging. I would object to any threats against them for this or any state intervention forcing them to remove their product/packaging. But there wasn’t. Evidence shows that they felt that the presence of the board game would hinder their company reputation and sales of other products. And also that their other games packaging would be likely to sell more with Nazi references removed. It seems that simple to me. The logical extension to this is that we enforce that the businesses keep their products on the market just to make a point, despite their considered viewpoint that it would be a poor commercial outcome for them?

However, where I would agree with you, and this relates directly to the OP an thread, is where the state panders by considering amending legislation to protect bigoted viewpoints of religious/ethnic groups. This article presents a good argument: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-of-tolerance and refers to a worrying attempt many years ago to pass legislation that would ban ‘mockery’ of Mohammed and any other religious figures by the then Labour government. But the constant postings of the ‘leftist’ argument on here feels quite baffling to me, working with many quite liberal educationalist types on a daily basis. I never hear such daft PC views of the kind that are often quoted and re-produced at times with hysteric hyperbole in the commentaries. I know that you and others on here have concerns that there is a huge movement of leftist actions that are moving us towards some kind of liberal fascist culture, but I simply don’t see it in the real world. I think the heated voices of the rather loony twitterati types that sound much louder than they should. But I guess much of that is down to our own personal filters. I think that the huge grinder of the real world will make its small social and commercial adjustments to such daftness and we’ll all carry on with our lives.

Monty, I've no idea why you are posting as Wendun, unless it was really the previously banned Wendun who was posting as Mont.

You obviously have an interest in history and I think I know why... those idyllic spring afternoon history classes... the teacher, Dicky Mint (or was it Ben Butterkin?) checking the afternoon class register... Bonce, Crabapple.... Nakedtruth, Noggin, Pokem, Python, Stardson... Unwed, Wittering and Zigo. I'm sure that the memories must come flooding back.
    Zigo was a Millers trainee and always seemed to be absent injured or ill. His health problems seemed to start shortly after he was given a new 5-year contract. What bad luck!
    Also you must surely remember the boatbuilding classes, despite the site being about 100 miles inland and on top of a hill. Strict teacher though -he had to be to deal with young tearaways like Tom Bonce! He always lined up the pupils two-by-two before they were allowed into the classroom. Mr. Noah, I think it was.
    ...and as the cricket season started , the sight of the groundsman leading dear old Zilzal, with mower attached, around the cricket outfield cutting the grass for the next match... then the pupils were allowed to help feed the pirhanas in the quadrangle pond or take the school leopard for a sprint around the 400 meters track. Happy days!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-04-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Wow! I recognise that avatar. He's back Mr Monty! Expect some invites to the Angel pub folks and he won't be buying you a drink!

He's rehashing old Monty Python material as Wendun, with a slightly different avatar from the same film archive set of stills . It would be like me changing my username to, say, Mike Rattlesnake, putting a red bobble hat on my avatar figure, then reposting stuff that I'd posted several years ago... just to taunt the mods ? (probably - who knows?)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-04-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    He's rehashing old Monty Python material as Wendun, with a slightly different avatar from the same film archive set of stills . It would be like me changing my username to, say, Mike Rattlesnake, putting a red bobble hat on my avatar figure, then reposting stuff that I'd posted several years ago... just to taunt the mods ? (probably - who knows?)
    Mike, you're quite unpleasant. Why when you disagree with someone do you and roly both always try to get them banned by suggesting they are having a go at the mods?
    The points I made could hardly be a rehash of anything posted before as these events are occurring right now. You may not like it but the topic of Left Liberal pressure to censor a whole range of things considered not-PC is highly topical and commentators as respected as Matthew Parris and Janice Turner have both written pieces on it very recently.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast