+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earliest memory of NUFC

Earliest memory of NUFC

Watching the FA Cup final in'74 as a 7 year old...not a great way to start but prepared me for a lifetime of disappointment.

I also remember drawing the Bukta logo over and over again in my Maths book in school when I was 10.

Listening to the Match on the radio and Geoff Nulty (I think...or was it John Tudor) getting his nose broken by the opposition goalie.

Your turn....

Very similar to be totally honest.
    I was more into that 74 final as a massive catalyst for my absolute and utter allegiance to Newcastle United.
    Prior to that I remember listening to the Newcastle V Sunderland matches and choosing Newcastle as my must win team, although I never had any dislike for Sunderland.

I just knew it was something special, bearing in mind it was talked about by older kids and on the radio a lot.
    I always remember my sticker book and my collections around that time , with Macdonald, Nulty, Gibb, Blackhall, Tommy and David Craig, Mike Mahoney, and so on and so on.

I absolutely loved the bukta set up. I can still remember the excitement of it all which is pretty good considering our lass is questioning whether I have some kind of deterioration in my ability to concentrate.

Dad going to the 51 and 52 finals and hearing older lads at school talking about Milburn and Robledo,I got a pocket watch for Xmas with Milburn on the face kicking a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    I got a pocket watch for Xmas with Milburn on the face kicking a ball.
    I think that's one of the best things I've ever read on here.

Being taken by my Uncle Arthur (Hughie) Gallagher with my cousin, just after the war and before league football recommenced to a friendly against Middlesborough. I was about 11 then and my late coousin aged 12, I seem to remember we won 2-0 or 2-1 and to a youngster's eyes it seemed as though the whole world was there. I did find out years later that the gate was about 34,000.

From that time I was hooked and my closest friend and I used to go to St.James' Park one week the Redheugh Park on alternate Saturdays to watch Gateshead in the old 3rd North.

Honestly can't remember I can barely remember last week

Quote Originally Posted by Davearmy View Post
    Honestly can't remember I can barely remember last week
    Dave, man...just noticed your avatar!

I'm fairly certain the 1st match i went to was against celtic (If it wasn't it was against Rangers Ha)

- going to school the next day where the main topic of conversation was about one of the younger (student?) teachers being carried out, passed over peoples heads in the leazes after she fainted in the crush ha

I remember being in the Gallowgate End with my Mam and being passed over everyone’s head to sit in the straw on the cinder track as it was Winter time and a big crowd

My Mam joined the catering team and served the Bovril and pies at the shop under the old Gallowgate Scoreboard. She then moved to the shop at the corner of the Leazes and Popular End

Also remember the peanut guy you used to throw your money on the pitch and he hoyed the peanuts up to you. Loads of people asked him to join their darts team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    I'm fairly certain the 1st match i went to was against celtic (If it wasn't it was against Rangers Ha)

- going to school the next day where the main topic of conversation was about one of the younger (student?) teachers being carried out, passed over peoples heads in the leazes after she fainted in the crush ha
    I was at the Celtic friendly in the 60s,we won 1-0 with a Jimmy Scott goal.After the game I went to the Miners Welfare in Wallsend and a bus from a Fife branch of the Celtic supporters club was there.I ended up on the bus and was fed bottles of broom in return for singing the Blaydon Races.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)