+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boredom with football

Good question. I was born in 57, just before Uniteds golden period. By the time we got elected to the league in 69, we wiped the floor with everyone.
    Subconsciously i must have expected it to continue, which it did to some extent with various promotion campaigns, titles, and nearly getting into the premiership.
    Now i realise Cambridge United are not special, but just a pleb team from the fens. I have lived and worked in big cities, United will never be a Sheffield Wednesday, United, Aston Villa or Birmingham City. Never. It was childish to expect anything more than bouncing between non league and div 4. For some reason we think good times are always round the corner.

It is not.

Couple this with grossly incompetent management of the club on and off the pitch, and corruption of all sorts, football is a trap for fools. Add players who dont give a fck, but still get payed, bad weather, the cold, disgusting food, and in Cambridges case, toilets not fit for horses. The toilets havent changed in the years i have been on earth, 62 years.
    I will take an interest, i will go when its warm and dry and were not playing Morecambe Forest Green or Fleetwood, or some other god forsaken club. Ive bought my last season ticket, im going on holiday with the money. Even if i go, the football is dreadful, and not worth the money, effort and time. Going and getting home takes all day. What else could i do with the time?

I will stop, eventually. How did you find an interest in County,? Losing an interest in football is about growing, its realising football is corrupted, and seeing it for what it is. And i mean corrupted, we are being abused financially.

I agree that football is a trap for fools,get kids hooked early enough and you've got them for life,nobody changes the club that they support no matter how badly they are doing.... Who thought that one up,I mean he must be a f@#king genius making me continue investing in a club that's in the bottom two while theres a club just across the river doing better that I would rather have my legs chopped off than watch,we are just mugs and although we know it we go back for more,I've spent longer supporting Notts than my two marriages have lasted

Two marriages? I am intrigued, tell me more. I got caught once, a covert narcissist of the worst stripe. Everything in life changes. When i lived in brum i used to do the 200 mile round trip to watch United several times a season, as well as games in the Midlands. I never thought that i would be down the road and not be bothered.

Everything you know and love today will someday be gone. Women, houses, pets, friends, lovers, children, wealth, being poor.

All that will remain is yourself. For eternity.

I know that I'm gonna die alone Frank because I've been pretty much a loner all.of my life,tbh I've got idea how I ended up married twice but the only blessing is that I've got no kids,I wouldn't want to burden them in my old age
    My retirement has been confirmed as June 15th and I can't wait as I've lost all interest in work over the past few years or so,I've only had two jobs in my 40 years of employment and I'm debt free and happy,not bad considering that there's people more intelligent than me at the hospital who HAVE to work to pay mortgages etc,maybe there's something in just being happy.in a job that you can do and just get on with it rather than trying to climb the ladder
    I know that you're not bothered about Utd but what about Wisbech,would it bother you if they got relegated,they are only three points ahead of Carlton but have played a game more,it could be a squeaky final couple of games for both teams if Carlton win their game in hand next Tuesday,I shall be down to see them on Saturday for the last time this season,I've really enjoyed watching non league games if I'm honest and will probably go and watch a few more next season (even more than expected if Notts get relegated)

There you go, your retiring early, debt free, and having made a valuable contribution to society, yet you think others are smarter. Others may think and act quicker, but you see the long game, the tactics, the ability to see into the future and provide for yourself.

That takes wisdom and maturity, and is the benefit of being an introvert. You may or may not die alone. I have seen a few men, not women have no visitors during their final days. If that is my fate it doesnt bother me, and it shouldnt bother you. There is no point having people in your life who are solely there to make you suffer, and purely to have someone around.
    Death is just a transition, there will be many waiting for you, and welcome you into a new and better world. You really should research near death experiences, even if you are not religious.

Wisbech recently drew with Mansfield, and couldnt beat nine men. If they stay up it will be a miracle. I do enjoy going there and will continue. When you retire, a new world awaits, make the most of it.

I've been lucky in my jobs Frank,it wasn't a long term plan or anything,I just got on with it and usually kept myself to myself,being quiet sometimes has it advantages,I have really enjoyed working at the hospital though,I've seen things that other people will never see in their lifetime,stuff you would find in a horror movie but non the less fascinating,I've learnt never to judge people that on first impressions because it's rarely the right one,value the nhs,I can't believe how dedicated 99% of the workers are there and yet they still get physically and verbally abused by some nob on the Saturday night because he couldn't hold his drink and got into a fight with somebody bigger than him,learnng that life can end at any time,you can't plan for our exit,it will usually just come out of the blue in one form or another and surprise you and that's why I want to finish early,I was looking at my family tree and most of the males peg out around 70,who wants to work until they are 67 just to have three years left?
    God has provided with the opportunity to get rid of two wives along the way so that I could enjoy myself in my retirement,I can honestly say that I'm glad that I'm heading for life's exit out instead of coming through the entrance,I don't think that I could stand going through all of that again but it's been an interesting journey,thank f@#k I didn't get a 9-5 job in an office,as for religion Frank I'm surprised that you think that I may not be religious considering the remarks that I've made in the past that have upset people
    Nobody can be really sure what awaits for us when we make our exit but hopefully people get what they want no matter what it is,whether it be just to be planted and that's it or get to meet loved ones in another world,you don't have to leave a mark on the world as long as you didn't leave a stain

I've been lucky in my jobs Frank,it wasn't a long term plan or anything,I just got on with it and usually kept myself to myself,being quiet sometimes has it advantages,I have really enjoyed working at the hospital though,I've seen things that other people will never see in their lifetime,stuff you would find in a horror movie but non the less fascinating,I've learnt never judge people on first impressions because it's rarely the right one,value the nhs,I can't believe how dedicated 99% of the workers are there and yet they still get physically and verbally abused by some nob on the Saturday night because he couldn't hold his drink and got into a fight with somebody bigger than him,learnng that life can end at any time because you can't plan for your exit,it will usually just come out of the blue in one way or another and surprise you and that's why I want to finish early,I was looking at my family tree and most of the males peg out around 70,who wants to work until they are 67 just to have three years left?
    God has provided with the opportunity to get rid of two wives along the way so that I could enjoy myself in my retirement,I can honestly say that I'm glad that I'm heading for life's exit instead of coming through the entrance,I don't think that I could stand going through all of that again but it's been an interesting journey,thank f@#k I didn't get a 9-5 job in an office,as for religion Frank I'm surprised that you think that I may not be religious considering the remarks that I've made in the past that have upset people
    Nobody can be really sure what awaits for us when we make our exit but hopefully people get what they want no matter what it is,whether it be just to be planted and that's it or get to meet loved ones in another world,you don't have to leave a mark on the world as long as you didn't leave a stain

We all leave a stain Chalky. I got back from holiday abroad one evening to find a message from a girlfriend asking me to contact her immediately, she was in hospital. When i got there, she was due an abortion the next morning, telling me it was mine. I walked out, and she did it. I have so many regrets about that, and asked the big man upstairs to strike me down in a painful way. He has not.

In my defence, i had twenty minutes to choose, and i was dog tired. Afterwards she told me she hoped i would sweep her off her feet, and take her home. I wish i had. I have had many bad nights over that. I might be due a similar fate, or maybe being aware of a big mistake and knowing its bad might be enough. I often wonder how the child would have been like. If i get a chance, i will make it up, to her and the child.

Anyway, you have said that you worked nights. Research has shown that working nights over a long period does shorten life, and it will take time for a normal routine to establish itself. Retiring will be all good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)