Good question. I was born in 57, just before Uniteds golden period. By the time we got elected to the league in 69, we wiped the floor with everyone.
Subconsciously i must have expected it to continue, which it did to some extent with various promotion campaigns, titles, and nearly getting into the premiership.
Now i realise Cambridge United are not special, but just a pleb team from the fens. I have lived and worked in big cities, United will never be a Sheffield Wednesday, United, Aston Villa or Birmingham City. Never. It was childish to expect anything more than bouncing between non league and div 4. For some reason we think good times are always round the corner.

It is not.

Couple this with grossly incompetent management of the club on and off the pitch, and corruption of all sorts, football is a trap for fools. Add players who dont give a fck, but still get payed, bad weather, the cold, disgusting food, and in Cambridges case, toilets not fit for horses. The toilets havent changed in the years i have been on earth, 62 years.
I will take an interest, i will go when its warm and dry and were not playing Morecambe Forest Green or Fleetwood, or some other god forsaken club. Ive bought my last season ticket, im going on holiday with the money. Even if i go, the football is dreadful, and not worth the money, effort and time. Going and getting home takes all day. What else could i do with the time?

I will stop, eventually. How did you find an interest in County,? Losing an interest in football is about growing, its realising football is corrupted, and seeing it for what it is. And i mean corrupted, we are being abused financially.