+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Come On You...err...

Come On You...err...

This made me laugh.

And it obviously wouldn't happen over here otherwise we would all be in trouble.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47876650

You beat me to it 59, I was going to title my thread 'It's not just us Brits...…..who live in a lunatic asylum'.

It might make you laugh, but I don't think it's funny, this is the mentality that now governs our lives, tells us what to do, what to think. I find it quite scary that these lunatics are now running the asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You beat me to it 59, I was going to title my thread 'It's not just us Brits...…..who live in a lunatic asylum'.

It might make you laugh, but I don't think it's funny, this is the mentality that now governs our lives, tells us what to do, what to think. I find it quite scary that these lunatics are now running the asylum.
    So sad, so true sinkov. Will the Yankee Doodle Dandees ban Come on you Reds as communist subversion?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

You see, i just don't see it that way.

We are not suddenly going to be banned from shouting "Come on you Clarets/Whites/Reds/Blacks" ever.

I am perfectly happy to speak my mind openly without fear of having my collar felt by the rozzers.

It is still an open, free country unless you start spouting dangerous nonsense.

Sinkov, I doubt there is anything that you want to say that you feel you can't on a public forum?

There have always been libel and slander laws and these are relevant on social media. Nowt wrong with that, eh?

Considering this thread about appropriate or non-appropriate personalized license plates, here’s one for you.

A little background: The attachment carries the Toronto Blue Jays logo, therefore one needs to understand the owner of the license plate is obviously a Blue Jays fan. However, it’s a perfect double entendre.

How this passed the screening process is beyond me.

I love Banjos ?

We are not on this sh!t again are we ?

The PC brigade are just a load of idiots, as exilecanada has shown, it seems O.K. to put ***ual comments on your cars registration plate, but if it is seen in a very narrow marginal way to be racist its not, even Mary Whitehouse (as Haughty as she was) had more sense than these (finding fault with anything) Morons.

"It might make you laugh, but I don't think it's funny, this is the mentality that now governs our lives, tells us what to do, what to think. I find it quite scary that these lunatics are now running the asylum". Well said Sinkov as I don't find it funny either.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I love Banjos ?

"We are not suddenly going to be banned from shouting "Come on you Clarets/Whites/Reds/Blacks" ever."

Are we not, it's already happening, Spurs Jewish fans have been threatened with criminal action because they call themselves Yids. You couldn't make it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...am-fa-yid-army

"I am perfectly happy to speak my mind openly without fear of having my collar felt by the rozzers. It is still an open, free country unless you start spouting dangerous nonsense. Sinkov, I doubt there is anything that you want to say that you feel you can't on a public forum? "

When I was working at Nelson Fire Station we all received a letter, jointly from our employers and union, informing us that if any member of an ethnic minority should lodge a complaint against us we would be suspended from duty, union support would be withdrawn, and we would not return to work until we had proved our innocence, and we'd be on our own attempting to do that. It was at that point that I realised the presumption of innocence and the right of free speech no longer existed in this country. It's good that you feel you can speak your mind openly without fear 59, but I realised that if I did I could lose my job. And that was 20 years ago, I don't think matters have loosened up in this area since, far from it in fact.

Take the case of Roger Scruton last week, some comments made in an interview with the Staggers, shamelessly taken out of context and given widespread publicity, resulting in his being sacked from his government job, which tells you all you need to know about this spineless government. The same thing happened to Toby Young, some tweets from years ago dragged up, sacked from several jobs, including his full time one. Be very careful what you say, tweet or post 59, advice our Andre should have heeded, but he was just a numpty ****ager when he made his homophobic tweets, trying to impress his mates, no matter, they were dredged up and he was banned from playing football.

Even Boris isn't exempt, he made the perfectly accurate observation that a woman wearing a burka looks like a letter box, in no time at all he was having his collar felt. You'd have thought the Met had better things to do with black kids dying on the streets on a daily basis, but no less a person than the Met's Chief Commisioner, Cressida Dick pronounced that 'officers decided that he did not commit an offence'. Strangely no one was prosecuted for wasting police time referring that for their investigation. Possibly that's because the police don't think it's wasting their time, they positively encourage the public to get them involved in reporting these spurious 'hate crimes' to them.

It seems possible we may soon have a law against Islamophobia, but no one can actually define what it is. Islam is a religion, but Islamophobia is said to have it's basis in racism, if we go down this road no one will know whether any criticism or comment about Muslims or Islam will result in having your collar felt, but that's the way we're going.

You don't worry about it 59 if you don't want to, your livelihood has probably never been threatened, and if you stay close to the PC Brigade way of thinking, you'll probably be OK. But just be aware, revolutions eat their own, one day they may be coming for you.
    Last edited by sinkov; 12-04-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I actually think things have greatly improved since I wer a lad in the 50's and 60's Sinkov.

I remember when racial abuse was the norm. Monkey chants and throwing bananas at certain players at footy matches was common.

Some people were openly referred to as wogs, pakis, having just arrived on the banana boat etc. and the inference was that these people were from inferior races than white people.
    It was widespread and programs like Till Death Us Do Part used it as a form of humour - although Alf Garnett was treated as an idiot to be fair.

Homo***uality was banned and if you were found to be one then you would likely be shunned, probably lose your job and possibly be jailed.

People with a mental illness were stigmatised and ridiculed and were a shame on the family. Many were institutionalised and never saw the light of day again.
    Physically disabled people were also treated badly and terms like "spastic" were in common use as a derogatory insult.

Are we a better society today? In my opinion definitely yes.

I hear what you say about the fire brigade and agree with you. We are a long way off perfection but we are heading in the right direction.

I don't know about the details of the Roger Scruton issue but members of our Government need to be very careful about how they conduct themselves. Say what you like about politicians but they can't get away with saying stuff that most other people can. If he had said what he said as a private individual then we would not have even noticed it.

Even the Boris thing about letter boxes didn't amount to much. Some people (of course) were upset by his comments but he was allowed to carry on regardless. Boris is Boris and he always makes sure he keeps himself in the spotlight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)