+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 49 years ago i'day

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    You might not have had access to a TV but were the Scottish Cup Finals not televised live in the 1970s?
    Nah, not even the whole game on the radio.
    If my memory serves me right, you did occasionally get the last 10 minutes of the first half.

I was very nearly 2 years old , so was not there

My Dad was and I still have that programme in my special collection . I also have the EE supplement that shows the open top bus parade

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    We didn't put up much of a fight on the pitch in '67 I believe?
    Turnbull was taken ill at Gleneagles (he'd caught Hepatitis when in London for the 3-2 win v England a fortnight earlier) and couldn't travel with the team from Gleneagles, so the little things that he'd have noticed from the sidelines weren't dealt with.

"A few days before playing in the Scottish Cup Final, the Dons had drawn 0-0 at Celtic Park in a league game. Harry Melrose recalls Jock Stein, his former mentor at East End Park, telling him some years later that the Aberdeen tactics that night allowed him to make a tactical change for the Final. Stein observed that Harry lay deep on the left of the Aberdeen midfield, ‘sitting in’ to direct operations and always be available to take the ball. Stein’s answer to this was to push Bobby Murdoch further forward to take advantage of the space created. As Harry himself admits, he was too involved in the game to realise what was happening, but,

“Had the boss been there, he would have spotted it and taken action to combat it”.

Turnbull feels that although his players did not suffer from an inferiority complex, Celtic perhaps had too much quality for his developing side to upset the odds. His presence at Hampden may, he feels, have made a difference. Three years later, in 1970, it did."

How did you get down? Did it not take about 7 hours to reach Glasgow back then?
    We left Keith at midnight, in my uncle's Ford Anglia RMS 553, with my cousin, his uncle, and my Dad aboard. We got to Glasgow at 6am, only 9 hours before the ****ing KO! I was 10 and thought it was the most incredible adventure. 126102 in the crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by GASC1980 View Post
    My old man wouldn't take me as i was only four and too young he said.
    Lightweight! I was also 4 and my da took me to the game

God knows how i managed it at my age of ten and a half but i made it to the semi against the huns in 76 on my own (didn't have far to go right enough) when Jocky scored a hatrick as my old man wouldn't take me to that either. He did however take me to the final. He started taking me in 1974 but it was always to more low key games.

Quote Originally Posted by GASC1980 View Post
    God knows how i managed it at my age of ten and a half but i made it to the semi against the huns in 76 on my own (didn't have far to go right enough) when Jocky scored a hatrick as my old man wouldn't take me to that either. He did however take me to the final. He started taking me in 1974 but it was always to more low key games.
    To be fair, I was not at that semi. Listened to it on the radio (might have been an Archie McPherson job). Remember going to the ‘76 final though as it was my first real experience (I was a bitty young to understand ‘70) of a real big game.
    Down outside Hampden with my AFC rosette and some tim mink spat on me. Quick as a flash, my dad laid him out with one punch, happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post

We left Keith at midnight, in my uncle's Ford Anglia RMS 553, with my cousin, his uncle, and my Dad aboard. We got to Glasgow at 6am, only 9 hours before the ****ing KO! I was 10 and thought it was the most incredible adventure. 126102 in the crowd!
    I love that story

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrooky View Post
    To be fair, I was not at that semi. Listened to it on the radio (might have been an Archie McPherson job). Remember going to the ‘76 final though as it was my first real experience (I was a bitty young to understand ‘70) of a real big game.
    Down outside Hampden with my AFC rosette and some tim mink spat on me. Quick as a flash, my dad laid him out with one punch, happy days.
    Good man.....I got tin/bottle off my napper when the brush scored.

At the semi we did not have a big support and this mink came up to my dad.....”one more goal and your getting murdered!”......cue Jocky Scott......nae murder, however I had a laugh with Jocky about it a few years ago at Carnoustie.

At the q/f 2nd leg I watched on in awe as the few dozen dandies went toe to toe with Stirling Albion.

I was hooked......being a dandy was for me and the disdain of the ugly sisters continues to this day........well, not all of them, my mates that are supporting selllick the morn got my best wishes last night.....apart from the match result obviously.

SF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12